Gun Sniffing Dogs???

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Gun Sniffing Dogs???

Post by FfNJGTFO » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Bearing Arms - Gun-Sniffing K9's: The Future of Gun Violence Prevention...

I dunno... I get how/why the article says they want to use the dogs to search for guns, but I'm concerned with potential for abuses. Specifically, will these dogs be used to discourage law abiding citizens from carrying concealed, especially where they are licensed to do so? Will they have a bunch of these dogs in crowds just searching for people who are carrying concealed, in an effort to harass them (i.e., stop, detain and interrogate anyone carrying concealed, demand their CWFL, etc.)?

I think Amtrak uses dogs like this already.

870Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Gun Sniffing Dogs???

Post by 870Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:34 pm

I would sprinkle burnt gun-powder/residue on my clothes/pockets and go looking for them. Need a good lawsuit. =D>
"Send lawyers & money...have enough guns." - 870Mike

Shueter612

Post by Shueter612 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 am

how do you manage to turn an article about the cops using dogs to RECOVER discarded firearms into the idea of a cop violating your rights? most cops will tell you they'd probable rather you carry a concealed firearm so long as your licensed to do so and feel comfortable doing so. and btw, they've been doing this for years.

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:41 am

Shueter612 wrote:how do you manage to turn an article about the cops using dogs to RECOVER discarded firearms into the idea of a cop violating your rights?
You are required to wear a tinfoil hat when posting on FSN; didn't you get your new member packet when you joined?
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:51 am

Shueter612 wrote:how do you manage to turn an article about the cops using dogs to RECOVER discarded firearms into the idea of a cop violating your rights?
By recalling the History of how cops have violated the civil rights of citizens via other similar means, countless other times, that's how! No, I can't cite specific examples or provide evidence of that History on your demand. I accept on faith that my recollection of that History is complete and accurate... you either do or you don't. I'm confident that, if I wanted to, I could do the research and present that evidence, but I'm not going to waste time doing it simply on your demand. I don't care if you believe me or not.

Point being, While the article does feature the use of the dog for a specific purpose (to RECOVER discarded firearms), it is clear that the same dog can be used in the same way for other purposes... one being to detect firearms in the context I mentioned. Will they do it for that purpose? I don't know. All I'm doing is pointing out that it *can* be used for that purpose. You decide how credible a concern it is for yourself. I thought it credible enough only for me to mention it... nothing more.
Cardboard_killer wrote:You are required to wear a tinfoil hat when posting on FSN; didn't you get your new member packet when you joined?
Careful... assessing how tight someone else is wearing their "required" tinfoil hat is an indicator of how tight one is wearing their own! [smilie=011.gif]

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:34 am

The Coast Guard and Marine Patrol have used dogs to find hidden guns on boats during "safety inspections" for over 25 years. In 1991, I was threatened with expulsion from university when my .25 Raven was found in my gear on board a research vessel returning from a 4-day Gulf run. However, since the boat was actually a State vessel that had only been rented by the university for the research cruise, I just got a stern talking-to from a hoplophobe professor. The Captain of the boat absolutely refused to participate in anything that would have put me in a bad position with the school. He requested that the officers allow him to maintain custody of the pistol until we returned to port, and as soon as they pulled away he handed it back to me and told the professor to f*** off - it was his vessel and his rules, and he wanted me to be armed, "just in case". /:f
Last edited by flcracker on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Cardboard_killer wrote:
You are required to wear a tinfoil hat when posting on FSN; didn't you get your new member packet when you joined?
Just where are you getting your "tin foil?" All I can find is aluminum foil. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]

ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ger42 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:53 am

Racist Infidel wrote:
Cardboard_killer wrote:
Just where are you getting your "tin foil?" All I can find is aluminum foil. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]
You take sardine cans and pound them out you have to attach 5-6 together to get the right coverage. I use a special epoxy to tie them together. No you can't see mine I have not applied for a patient yet.
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

herian

Post by herian » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm

They have them at the Port of Tampa searching incoming vehicles once in awhile.

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm

herian wrote:They have them at the Port of Tampa searching incoming vehicles once in awhile.
Is that primarily for guns or for drugs, though? Or do you mean cars of workers entering the parking areas (as opposed to cars arriving off the ships)?

herian

Post by herian » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:46 am

This was workers and deliveries entering.They ran 2 dogs through each truck.The last dog found a used 22blank for my power driver in the bed of my truck.

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Dogs are just used for probable cause. Go ahead, try and prove they didn't "alert". lol...

Soon, they will be using them for pre-crime detection.

BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm

In April we were leaving Cozumel to go down town. They had dogs at Mexican Customs. One came up to me, walked around me, then sat down in front of me. I looked at the Customs agent he looked back then called the dog back and waived me on through. I don't know what they were looking for and I felt fairly calm because there was nothing to find. Still when the dog sat down in front of me it was not the highlight of the trip.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

FfNJGTFO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FfNJGTFO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:58 pm

BIG JOE wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm
In April we were leaving Cozumel to go down town. They had dogs at Mexican Customs. One came up to me, walked around me, then sat down in front of me. I looked at the Customs agent he looked back then called the dog back and waived me on through. I don't know what they were looking for and I felt fairly calm because there was nothing to find. Still when the dog sat down in front of me it was not the highlight of the trip.
Might be one trained to alert on different signal.....

M14man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by M14man » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm
Dogs are just used for probable cause. Go ahead, try and prove they didn't "alert". lol...

That be profiling...you...you....racist!

n0rlf
Life Member
Life Member

Post by n0rlf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 am

zeebaron wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Is that not what they call "Crime Prevention"?

Perhaps we could use more of that rather than less. Cops are no longer protectors or preventers rather reactionary forces and report takers. As well as domestic counselers.

Problem is how to do prevention these days without someone's panties getting wadded up all the time. Not to mention how to prevent abuse of the "Crime Prevention" techniques by some bad LEO.

Something to ponder on a beautiful Sunday morning here in the mountains.

Or maybe I will just go enjoy the solitude and write it all off as no longer fixable.
Remember:
2 truths in life
It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission!
Always drink upstream from the herd!

zeebaron
Life Member
Life Member

Post by zeebaron » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 am

The only time I've ever heard the term "Crime Prevention" being used was in reference to the D.A.R.E. program, where I remember learning about a bunch of cool drugs back in 5th grade. Especially how pot would essentially kill you.

bmup
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bmup » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 pm

I heard about a guy who OD'd on cheetos & peanut butter sandwiches... [smilie=011.gif]
Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.
-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992