300 blackout? worth it?

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
neonnight34609
Life Member
Life Member

300 blackout? worth it?

Post by neonnight34609 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 pm

i have a lower i am looking to build. i am already sitting on a few 5.56 and one 7.62 AR so are these 300 blackouts worth it? i was looking into this kit
https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-carbine ... WljSYTys4M
"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 300 blackout? worth it?

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Worth it how.... as far as bang for your buck ?

I think you missed the whole 300 Blackout fad, lots of people are over it and selling off uppers.

you used to have a hard time finding brass and a lot of people reload for it so it became cheaper over the last couple of years, but it will never be as cheap as shooting 556 just for plinking.

Lots of people like to use 300 blk for suppressed hunting
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

neonnight34609
Life Member
Life Member

Post by neonnight34609 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

so its poop just build another 5.56
/:f
"Life's tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am

You want a bit more bang, go for a 6.5 Grendel. Ammo starts at about .24 cents per shot (wolf steel case)to $1 per shot (hornady) pending on how precise you want to be. A 10.5" barreled 6.5 Grendel has more energy at the muzzle than a 20" hot-loaded 5.56 NATO, and it only separates from there in the Grendel's favor as the distance increases.

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Neon,
You are at the point I was 2 yrs ago. Thought really hard about building a 300BO. What really caught my eye was the ability to suppress and cycling the action at the same time. I thought it would be perfect for hunting yada yada.

The more I researched, the more I came to the conclusion that silent hunting wasn't what I thought it would be. To stay subsonic you had to use heavy bullets, but at the speed they were running at, it was hit or miss if the bullet would be able to bring down an animal consistently, and it only went downhill when the distances increased. Too large a margin for me.

I will second the 6.5 Grendel. When it was first mentioned to me, I poo poo'd it, dinky little case driving a 6.5mm bullet slower than my .260. I didnt see any advantage to competing with a bullet going nearly 500fps slower than what my .260 could do.

Last year, my rifle club introduced AR tactical matches, AR type rifle with any caliber betw 223 and 308, using a Harris bipod and a squeezee bag, shot at 300, 500, and 600yds.

All of a sudden the Grendel looked more appealing to me, 6.5mm ballistics, in an AR type platform shot prone at a 1moa X ring.

I built an 18in with an 8twist barrel. I built it the way I did only because I did not want to wait wks or months for parts to be made. I bought from whoever had what I wanted at the time I wanted it.

All I can say is, it is a shooter, at 300yds and in no real advantage over a fast match 223. Where it really shines is beyond 300yds, the 6.5mm ballistics start pulling away from .223 especially if it is windy, less drift.

My rifle weighs in at just under 10lbs with my hunting scope, 11lbs with my match scope, that is with a loaded 5rnd mag and bipod.

Read my writeup on how it performed last Thanksgiving when I took it deer hunting in Tx, in the hunt/fish section. I stand by everything I said in that thread, lo recoil, excellent accuracy, the ability have a round ready if a followup shot was needed, in a package that was a lot more handy than my 24in hunting rifles.

My rifle is now coming up on nearly 1k rounds thru it, it is my preferred semi auto match setup. I really really like the Grendel.

Also have to mention that factory ammunition and reloading components are available for it at Bass Pro and Academy Sports.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 am

People like to pooh-pooh the 300BLK for subsonic hunting due to it's heavy bullets, slow speed, rainbow trajectory, and limited killing ability past 100 yds. But, with the advanced selection of bullets out there, you can fund the right too for the job. I've never killed a deer or hog in Florida at more than 75 yds, and a Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion load will hold a tight 1" group at 100 yds, will reliably expand to nearly double in diameter, and will retain 95%+ of their weight. Plus, you can swap out to supersonic loads and still use a suppressor then shoot deer out to 150-200 yds easily. The secret is figuring out your aiming points and hold overs with your optic.

Do what I did. Build a 300BLK upper. Shoot it on a lower that you already have. See what you think. If you end up falling out of love with the 300BLK, it's just a barrel swap away from something different. Me, I ended up building matching 5.56 (12") & 300BLK (10"") uppers, one rifle lower that I SBR'd, and one pistol lower. I swap them back and forth depending on my mood and the mission at hand.
Last edited by flcracker on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:44 am

Neon besides just having a spare lower handy and the need to upper it, does this build have a particular purpose as your intent or desire is pertinent to the discussion? While the upper you linked seems to be a cost effective value it comes with it's own limitations as the flavor of the day in the 300 blk out world seems to be pistol gas and shorter barrels.

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

I got mine because I wanted something with a short barrel that didn't lose a crazy amount of FPS because it was short. I opted for a 10 1/2 inch barrel, but anything over 7 inch is GTG in the FPS range. Its very handy and and fast with a red dot and has become my preferred gun for when I'm beating around in the swamp or shooting short range targets. Yup, I think it's worth it.
IYAOYAS

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:45 pm

I got a 300BLK upper recently to make a complete 22lr/223-5.56/300Blk uppers set with a single lower receiver for my son. I was thinking 300Blk with decent weight bullet and minimum recoil/muzzle blast might be the ideal hunting AR caliber for my 11 y/o son. So far I've shot one hog with it and despite a good hit on the neck and the hog dropped to the ground then while I was getting ready to come down from the stand the hog got up and ran off about 100 yards and died in neighbor's property hours later. I'm looking for a premium bullet (Barnes TSX or Hornady SST or AMAX) to try again. I've shot couple hogs with .223/5.56 and each of them dropped on the spot so I'm not impressed with this caliber but I'm willing to try again.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 pm

rug357 wrote:I got a 300BLK upper recently to make a complete 22lr/223-5.56/300Blk uppers set with a single lower receiver for my son. I was thinking 300Blk with decent weight bullet and minimum recoil/muzzle blast might be the ideal hunting AR caliber for my 11 y/o son. So far I've shot one hog with it and despite a good hit on the neck and the hog dropped to the ground then while I was getting ready to come down from the stand the hog got up and ran off about 100 yards and died in neighbor's property hours later. I'm looking for a premium bullet (Barnes TSX or Hornady SST or AMAX) to try again. I've shot couple hogs with .223/5.56 and each of them dropped on the spot so I'm not impressed with this caliber but I'm willing to try again.
Did you use Subsonic or supersonic ammo?

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:19 am

Jonathanw wrote:
rug357 wrote:I got a 300BLK upper recently to make a complete 22lr/223-5.56/300Blk uppers set with a single lower receiver for my son. I was thinking 300Blk with decent weight bullet and minimum recoil/muzzle blast might be the ideal hunting AR caliber for my 11 y/o son. So far I've shot one hog with it and despite a good hit on the neck and the hog dropped to the ground then while I was getting ready to come down from the stand the hog got up and ran off about 100 yards and died in neighbor's property hours later. I'm looking for a premium bullet (Barnes TSX or Hornady SST or AMAX) to try again. I've shot couple hogs with .223/5.56 and each of them dropped on the spot so I'm not impressed with this caliber but I'm willing to try again.
Did you use Subsonic or supersonic ammo?
Supersonic ammo.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Rug,
What bullet weight did you use?

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.