Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
Post Reply
ScarFace88
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Maitland, FL

Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by ScarFace88 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi all, I purchased an L1A1 off of Gunbroker earlier this week. It's an Aussie kit built on an Entreprise receiver. I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone who could take a look at it to make sure that the headspace is correct and that the receiver is completely in spec. The reason I'm concerned is that I do not know who built the rifle and I'd rather that my face remain intact.
"Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms
No, not me, not when Death lasts forever"
Megadeth - United Abominations

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 22771
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Strap it to the bench at the range and use a bungee cord step back pull the trigger if you're really worried lay some burlap across the receiver with a hole cut for the ejection port and watch for movement on the burlap
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mohshard
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale

Re: Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by mohshard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:22 pm

ScarFace88 wrote:Hi all, I purchased an L1A1 off of Gunbroker earlier this week. It's an Aussie kit built on an Entreprise receiver. I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone who could take a look at it to make sure that the headspace is correct and that the receiver is completely in spec. The reason I'm concerned is that I do not know who built the rifle and I'd rather that my face remain intact.
Wanna borrow a go no go gauge set? Send me a pm and if you pay shipping you'll at least know whether the bolt and chamber are in spec.

User avatar
NorincoKid
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Hernando County

Re: Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by NorincoKid » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 am

Rentprop1 wrote:Strap it to the bench at the range and use a bungee cord step back pull the trigger if you're really worried lay some burlap across the receiver with a hole cut for the ejection port and watch for movement on the burlap
Lol ^ This right here.

I did a 1911 from a "80% casting" years back with just a dremel, hand drill and three hacksaw blades taped together to do the slide rails. The first time I shot that I had heavy gloves and stood behind a tree and wrapped my arms around so the slide couldnt fly back and go through my skull _:

Any 'smith could check headspace though, never hurts.

User avatar
Villafuego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 am
Location: Land-O-Lakes,FL

Re: Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by Villafuego » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Is it built on a early Buena Park receiver????....proper inch cut, or a franken FAL with inch parts on a metric receiver?....that answer alone will tell you a lot about who built it.....as a rule, If I am looking to buy an FAL and it has pipe-wrench marks on the bbl. shank, it's automatically worth nothing more than the value of its parts.........

I've got every FAL tool they made......and headspace gauges as well...just pull the bolt from the carrier, remove the extractor, put a round of NATO spec 7.62 in the chamber, and close the bolt on it.....any play?????

ScarFace88
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Maitland, FL

Re: Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by ScarFace88 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Villafuego wrote:Is it built on a early Buena Park receiver????....proper inch cut, or a franken FAL with inch parts on a metric receiver?....that answer alone will tell you a lot about who built it.....as a rule, If I am looking to buy an FAL and it has pipe-wrench marks on the bbl. shank, it's automatically worth nothing more than the value of its parts.........

I've got every FAL tool they made......and headspace gauges as well...just pull the bolt from the carrier, remove the extractor, put a round of NATO spec 7.62 in the chamber, and close the bolt on it.....any play?????
It's on an Irwindale receiver, appears to be built on an inch receiver (has the lightening cut on the mag well), and the receiver SN matches the kit SN.

I don't have the rifle in hand yet (it's on its way to my FFL), so I can't tell you
"Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms
No, not me, not when Death lasts forever"
Megadeth - United Abominations

ScarFace88
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Maitland, FL

Re: Anyone in the Orlando area that can look over a FAL?

Post by ScarFace88 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Ok, I picked up the rifle from my FFL today. Here are a couple pics of the rifle

Image
Image

Things I plan on doing or having done:
Removing the Crapco scope mount. The seller didn't include the original top cover, so I'm going to have o source one. I found a couple of L1A1 top covers on Gunbroker for 30 bucks, but they're Enfield and BSA. Would it be worth tracking down a Lithgow top cover for correctness's sake, or will an English one do?

Buy some proper Inch mags. The rifle came with four metric mags, three steel and one Thermelt. They do, of course fit and lock in the rifle, albeit with a bit of play or wobble.

Reinstall the carry handle. Thankfully, the previous owner included that.

Get some Ironwood furniture. Only the pistol grip appears to be the original coachwood that the rifle should have. The hand guards appear to be incorrect too.

Replace the muzzle brake with the correct flash hider.

Possibly replace the front sight post, as I suspect it may have been cut.
"Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms
No, not me, not when Death lasts forever"
Megadeth - United Abominations

Post Reply