Building a .308 Tack Driver

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
Keith

Re: Building a .308 Tack Driver

Post by Keith » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Keith wrote:No fans for the Tikka line? Sako action, trigger, and barrel. Detachable magazine and the smoothest action on the market that isn't custom. I just picked up a CTR in stainless and I think it is the best bang for the buck out right now.
I like Tikka very much but ain't they more a hunting platform ?

Sako TRG is a possibility for me if funds permit .... out of the box laser accurate and tough as hell.
Check out the CTR. It is the best of both worlds. It is 7.5 pounds, semi heavy barrel, threaded barrel, TRG-22 bottom metal and 10 round magazines, and included rail. It is a super accurate gun that is still light enough to hunt with.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:48 am

DaveM wrote:Add some weight to the gun and you're up and running.
DaveM wrote:The gun has added lead to bring the weight up to 18 pounds.
I know this thread is a few months old, but I have a question. Why add weight to the gun? Does more weight help with accuracy somehow or is it a competition regulation thing?
Libertas aut mortis!

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:30 am

Cloaked Dagger wrote:[I know this thread is a few months old, but I have a question. Why add weight to the gun? Does more weight help with accuracy somehow or is it a competition regulation thing?
Most guns are more accurate than we give them credit for. Adding weight helps remove the human factor. Shoot a pistol at 25 yards and get a grouping of 6" vs putting the same pistol in a Ransom Rest and shooting 2" groups.

NRA F-Class rules limit the weight of FTR rifles to 18lbs. Open class can weigh up to 22lbs.

Many long range rifle shooters barely touch the rifle. Nothing more than a light touch of the cheek and shoulder on the stock and a finger on the trigger. The gun recoils straight back with as little human input as possible. Try doing that with a 6lb rifle in .308 and tell me how that works out for you.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:52 am

DaveM wrote:Most guns are more accurate than we give them credit for. Adding weight helps remove the human factor. Shoot a pistol at 25 yards and get a grouping of 6" vs putting the same pistol in a Ransom Rest and shooting 2" groups.

NRA F-Class rules limit the weight of FTR rifles to 18lbs. Open class can weigh up to 22lbs.

Many long range rifle shooters barely touch the rifle. Nothing more than a light touch of the cheek and shoulder on the stock and a finger on the trigger. The gun recoils straight back with as little human input as possible. Try doing that with a 6lb rifle in .308 and tell me how that works out for you.
So it doesn't do anything to make the gun more accurate but it does make the shooter more accurate by provided stability and recoil control allowing less interference on the gun from the shooter since the gun is almost always more accurate than the shooter. Good to know, thank you.
Libertas aut mortis!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Correct ..... The more you take the human out of the equation the more accurate the shot..... [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:58 pm

DaveM wrote: Many long range rifle shooters barely touch the rifle. Nothing more than a light touch of the cheek and shoulder on the stock and a finger on the trigger. The gun recoils straight back with as little human input as possible. Try doing that with a 6lb rifle in .308 and tell me how that works out for you.
I was helping a very old guy site in his 458 R-Mag for an African hunt and did the sniper style (habit)
The barrel lifted 90 desgrees pointing straight up.
That was how it worked out for me [smilie=011.gif]
/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Having been a member at Kynoch gun club I've tried all sorts of big bore game guns.... none of which were actually fun to shoot.... but I guess big beasts need big bullets #-o

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/cartr ... ction.html