How to post a picture

Questions regarding any FSN board problems. This is NOT a firearms "help" forum.

Moderators: SKSseven, John K, tony k, Nicolas, rug357, Sweep

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

How to post a picture

Post by mjmensale » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:51 am

This topic was getting very confusing so I've deleted most of it in hopes of making this process simple.

The short answer - Your photos must be hosted on a 3rd party host site or you will not be able to post them here. First load your photos onto your computer. Remember that our accepted photo size is 800 X 600. Then open a free account at http://www.photobucket.com (there are others) and upload your photos to it.

When you want to post a photo in a post, go to your photobucket album and find the photo you want to post. Move your cursor over the photo and a "wheel" will appear in the upper right corner. Move your cursor over the "wheel" and a menu will show with 5 choices. Click on the "Get Links" choice and another menu will appear with 4 choice boxes.

The box marked Direct will provide a link to your photo in your post like this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/ ... statue.jpg

The box marked IMG Codes will show the actual photo in your post like this:

Choose which version you want, move your cursor onto the code and click. The code will briefly disappear then say "Copied" and the code will reappear. Paste the code into your post.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Re: How to post a picture

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Ok, i've tried resizing and cropping with photobucket for over 20 minutes. Still can't figure it out.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Osmosis
BANNED

Post by Osmosis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Former USN MM1 (CVN-69, CVN-70)

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"

Osmosis
BANNED

Post by Osmosis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks I think I finally got it. Been playing around for about a half an hour trying evey link that photo bucket gives you. finally just went to the image properties and copied that.

Former USN MM1 (CVN-69, CVN-70)

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus"

adjohns3

Re:

Post by adjohns3 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Nick Ward wrote:First, is the picture already on your computer? If so, you're ready to go - otherwise, you'll need a digital camera with the cable and software to load the pics on your PC, or a scanner and connections.

Pictures posted on sites like this have to be hosted somewhere on the web. There are some sites that host for free, like hunt101.com and there are places that charge you.

If you go to hunt101.com they have detailed instructions on how to upload pictures - it's pretty straightforward. Check it out :smile

Nick: Can you download from your own computer without using host sites like photobucket? I saw photobucket had a big outbreak of virus/security issues a few months back.
Is there a set of instructions to download from own computer?
Thanks,

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Re:

Post by mjmensale » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:39 pm

adjohns3 wrote:Nick: Can you download from your own computer without using host sites like photobucket? I saw photobucket had a big outbreak of virus/security issues a few months back.
Is there a set of instructions to download from own computer?
Thanks,
Nick is no longer on the board.

The reason for using a 3rd party photo host is because their servers run 24/7. If you try linking to your computer, the photo will only show when your computer is running. If I'm wrong, Legio will straighten us out.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

Gunmeister

Post by Gunmeister » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 am

Trying to learn
Regards To All, John MCPO USN RET
In a gunfight, there are no winners, only losers and survivors, I intend to be the latter.

Gunmeister

Post by Gunmeister » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:30 am

WOW it worked.
Thanks for putting up with me. /:f [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Regards To All, John MCPO USN RET
In a gunfight, there are no winners, only losers and survivors, I intend to be the latter.

KG21

Post by KG21 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:32 am

Matt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am

Photobucket sucks.

Imageshack is a much better image hosting service. They can automatically resize your photos to 800x600. You can upload batches of photos. You do NOT need to have an account with imageshack to upload photos. I've been using them for years. Copy/paste the direct URL with the IMG tags and you're all done.

http://www.imageshack.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Matt wrote:Photobucket sucks.

Imageshack is a much better image hosting service. They can automatically resize your photos to 800x600. You can upload batches of photos. You do NOT need to have an account with imageshack to upload photos. I've been using them for years. Copy/paste the direct URL with the IMG tags and you're all done.

http://www.imageshack.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, I'm already on Photobucket. It must be a useable service, since it's so popular.

But I go on Bucket and ask it to resize my photo to 640 x 460 or whatever the numbers are, but FSN won't accept the photo, and says it has to be less than 800 pixels high. Seems to me that 640 should be less than 800, so FSN should accept the photo.

So what's wrong with my thinking here?
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 pm

I downloaded image resizing tool from the Microsoft website and resize my pics before I upload them by right clicking on a pic and then clicking resize pics option on the pop up box. Very fast and a lot less trouble.
SHTF Ready

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:12 am

#1Glock30 wrote:I downloaded image resizing tool from the Microsoft website and resize my pics before I upload them by right clicking on a pic and then clicking resize pics option on the pop up box. Very fast and a lot less trouble.
Any possibility you can give us a link to find that tool?
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:44 am

Caution: This utility is for WindowsXP, not Vista or Windows7
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the tutorial:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... lman2.mspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vista and Windows7 users:
You can use Windows Live Photo Gallery - http://explore.live.com/windows-live-ph ... y?os=other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the tutorial:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... to-Gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LurkMastR » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 am

Here's what I've used and it works great for resizing 1 or 100 images: http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7.

Documentation is here: http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/documentation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Download it, install it, run it and then drag-and-drop your pics. Easy as pie, even you computer illiterate types can do it. [smilie=011.gif]

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:28 am

Nice find! Thanks for the link. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

durabledan

Post by durabledan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 am

testing[im[img]http://i1205.photobucket.cog][/img]

durabledan

Post by durabledan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Oh Boy!

durabledan

Post by durabledan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 pm

[Image]