General AK Chat and News

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

No, sir. I don't own a 5.45 rifle or know anyone personally with one.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Skoll wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 pm No, sir. I don't own a 5.45 rifle or know anyone personally with one.
skinny jeans will do that to ya :mrgreen:

they just started making them for 7.62 as well , soon to be released
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Don't know anyone with skinny jeans either, fortunately.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

5.45 was/is a neat round.

I had a few AK74's (factory and ones I built), shot off quite a bit of 7n6 with them, but when ammo started drying up/rising in price, felt it was time to get rid of it.

I feel that 5.56 fills the "tiny fast bullet" position fine, and since every AK design available in 5.45 is also available in 5.56, saw no point in keeping that caliber.

That being said I got rid of all my 5.56 AK's too. Sticking with 7.62x39 here
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

I like my AKs in 5.56 and 7.62... 5.45 does nothing for me.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

So did you guys hear Century bought US Palm and are bringing it back? I'm kinda ehhhh on that because I think Century are a bunch of shitbags. Friend of mine used to work for them and really had nothing nice to say.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Skoll wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:14 pm So did you guys hear Century bought US Palm and are bringing it back? I'm kinda ehhhh on that because I think Century are a bunch of shitbags. Friend of mine used to work for them and really had nothing nice to say.

Century has, arguably, done more for the import/surplus firearm enthusiast crowd than any other company.

While I agree, I'm not crazy about their in-house manufactured stuff (IE the RAS47) and their "Century Drunken Monkey" gunsmithing/922r squad but They've been bringing in the good stuff here to the US for decades.

Shitbags? I dunno. I think the milsurp/foriegn firearm situation here would be very different if Century wasn't around.

Kinda like the folks who shit on TAPCO. Is it the greatest stuff? No. But if it weren't for TAPCO I don't think the homebuilt AK community would have ever taken off.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

a little twisted with Century and Tapco, there are a lot of smaller importers and manufacturers, however without companies like Tapco, partnering up and bringing those products into mass production, and Century having deep pockets to impost all that back in the day when it was cheaper.....

today with social media, smaller Joes have a chance to compete and offer those goods, but they always do better when holding hands with the big guys

I know the guy who thought up the G2 trigger, he still has a shop in Kissimmee, but he never had the funds or connections to be able to pump them out like Tapco did....the big guys just take all the credit :mrgreen:
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Century is better than Royal Tiger, but that still isn't saying much. I hate how they're undercutting their own imports just to push their shitty domestic AKs they have to know are garbage. And yeah I know I am calling them shitbags on heresay evidence, but that is kind of how word of mouth works I guess. I'm grateful I had a chance to buy my Wasr but I'm not very keen on shelling out nearly $1000 if I want another one.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I might have a chance to take a cast I/O trunion and use it in a post sample MG, its a gamble but even if I get 10,000 rounds out of it and somehow manage to video it, the haters and people who don't even own an I/O will still say its trash, I guess thats how word of mouth works....huh :roll:

I stopped visiting Akfiles because the know-it-alls there drive me to drink, you've got 21 year old kids with 12,000 worthless posts telling me ( a veteran AK builder for almost as long as they've been alive ) that receivers have the be fully heat treated, blah, blah, blah....I have a full auto AK with easily 10 K rounds thru it, no heat treat on anything but the ejector :o , its even on an old Tapco flat where you had to pound the top rail over on the 555th jig when bending it ( circa 1999-2000, pre AKbilder stuff was even a thought ) ......they get butt hurt when I show them pics and tell them eat a bag of dicks. Most of them don't know anything more than they read on the internet, but hey if its on the net, it must be true....bonjour :mrgreen: