General AK Chat and News

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
Skoll

General AK Chat and News

Post by Skoll »

I figure since there is a thousand and a half AR everything, we could probably do with a general AK thread since some of us are enthusiasts for the platform.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I'll start:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... -magazine/

This thing looks kind of cool but I'm not going to believe the hype until I see reviews. It looks like the US Palm battle mag but with a detachable floorplate. I don't know if any of you remember but that was the main criticism people had of the US Palm mags, that you couldn't disassemble them for cleaning or to replace their (extremely stiff) springs. I have a few of them myself and they're exactly as robust and hardy as advertised so I'm hoping Xtech isn't talking out of their asses.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

$28.95!!! Are they smoking crack? Real surplus AK mags are $10 each. Why would anybody buy them? GARY.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:45 am $28.95!!! Are they smoking crack? Real surplus AK mags are $10 each. Why would anybody buy them? GARY.
That's about how much the steel locking lug gen 2 Magpuls, the original US Palm battlemags, and the Circle 10 steel reinforced Bulgarian mags go for. Basically getting steelie durability in a light polymer body which is what I assume justifies the cost and people WILL pay it.

AKs just don't have the domestic market (yet) for a cheaper plastic "battle ready" mag.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

New(?) mag coming to market soon I thinks...

https://imperiya.by/video/59iJepzj4JC/6 ... zines.html

^^ Interesting stuff.

60 round quad stack magazine for 7.62x39mm AK's

Seem neat. Bolt hold open, steel reinforcements. Video is kinda...weird...but the mag seems nice.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... sl-rifles/

Century is gonna start importing PSLs again at a "higher price".

I'mma guess $1000.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Skoll wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... sl-rifles/

Century is gonna start importing PSLs again at a "higher price".

I'mma guess $1000.
Rumor has it around $2000 , Atlantic passed on them due to price point.

Got mine for $589 new back in the day. They're not even good guns, even with 7N1. Surplus ammo and a hot barrel made shotgun-pattern groups. Sold it off for an assload of money a couple years ago, never really looked back. Was a good looking gun though,

Skoll

Post by Skoll »

That's fucking nuts, $2000? Will the market even bear that?

And it sucks that they don't shoot well. I've never had an opportunity to fire one myself but always was interested in 'em.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I don't think they all shot as poorly as mine, but there are certainly other accounts of similar behavior with them.

I think they'll sell quite a few of them. "Street Price" on a USED PSL these days is usally between 1200-1500+ depending on package.

Collectors who missed out on them back in the day may want them. People who were broke as fuck back in the day have money now and may want one, etc.

Centerfire has (had?) kits for like $599, domestic barrels and receivers are available. Could build your own a save a grand, but it would be less authentic.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Anyone try one of those 60 round quad stack 5.45 mags yet....a bit pricey but Im more worried about function.