General AK Chat and News

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm I might have a chance to take a cast I/O trunion and use it in a post sample MG, its a gamble but even if I get 10,000 rounds out of it and somehow manage to video it, the haters and people who don't even own an I/O will still say its trash, I guess thats how word of mouth works....huh :roll:

I stopped visiting Akfiles because the know-it-alls there drive me to drink, you've got 21 year old kids with 12,000 worthless posts telling me ( a veteran AK builder for almost as long as they've been alive ) that receivers have the be fully heat treated, blah, blah, blah....I have a full auto AK with easily 10 K rounds thru it, no heat treat on anything but the ejector :o , its even on an old Tapco flat where you had to pound the top rail over on the 555th jig when bending it ( circa 1999-2000, pre AKbilder stuff was even a thought ) ......they get butt hurt when I show them pics and tell them eat a bag of dicks. Most of them don't know anything more than they read on the internet, but hey if its on the net, it must be true....bonjour :mrgreen:

I fondly remember an AGI AK47 Gunsmithing video (on VHS) showing the proper way to build a kit was to just hammer the rivets back into the holes you drilled them out from without pulling the barrel.

My first build was with screws, 10/32's on a bent tapco flat as well. Redneck heat treat. Gun ran fine, I didn't put 10K through it but at least a few thousand and never had any issues with it. The whole "heat treat" thing I think was from those B-WEST's but I personally think that was more of a piss-poor choice for steel in the receiver and not so much with the heat treat, but I dont know. From a manufacturing stand point one would think a whole-receiver heat treat is the cheapest/most effective way to go, IE in batches.

Alot has changed for home builders over the last decade or two. All I can say is I wish I had bought pallets of kits back then. I still have some of the $79 romanians, rebuilt most of them for aesthetics purposes though.

I have an IO trunnion here I'd gladly donate to your cause :D
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Shit, most of us haven't been doing this for decades so we have only what we can find via the intertubes. If you want to make an MG IO, go for it. I'd love to see that video.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Robski tested those "new" Xtech mags. Looks decent.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Looks like IO has taken all the AK's off it website...

http://interordnance.com
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

Guess we'll see how much of this is bullshit.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Century just announced another domestic AK, the VSKA. Fifth times the charm, I guess.

JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

At the recent iraqveteren8888 shoot, couple vendors brought out 9x39 chambered AKs and ARs, I see this being a greater contender with sub sonic ammos like 300 blkout, I’m really excited for when they start commercially making these rifles and there’s a company working on a clone of the As Val/VSS chambered in 9x39. Wolf is currently importing the ammo in small quantities so it’s expensive at the moment but if it picks up steam, it’ll be cheaper than factory 300 blkout subsonic
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Been awhile since anyones used this thread.

Anyone know any good 5.56 AKs, or where to source them in-state?
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

JonathanW wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 am At the recent iraqveteren8888 shoot, couple vendors brought out 9x39 chambered AKs and ARs, I see this being a greater contender with sub sonic ammos like 300 blkout, I’m really excited for when they start commercially making these rifles and there’s a company working on a clone of the As Val/VSS chambered in 9x39. Wolf is currently importing the ammo in small quantities so it’s expensive at the moment but if it picks up steam, it’ll be cheaper than factory 300 blkout subsonic
The KAK barrels for the AR are out today, $140-$150....8.5 and 10.5 respectively, I'll wait for some reasonable AK barrels, but might be a while before the FAD dies down