Forum upgrade

Questions regarding any FSN board problems. This is NOT a firearms "help" forum.

Moderators: SKSseven, John K, tony k, Nicolas, rug357, Sweep

Sutol
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by Sutol » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Casual wrote:/:f the website version formats onto my phone nicely. Well done Sirs...
Yes, the "new" template is what we call responsive. Tapatalk is almost obsolete.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Sutol wrote:
Casual wrote:/:f the website version formats onto my phone nicely. Well done Sirs...
Yes, the "new" template is what we call responsive. Tapatalk is almost obsolete.
Yes, it looks great on the Note 4. Thanks.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Jeepsnguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jeepsnguns » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Madcat1 wrote:=D> Love the new look, it actually looks this decade [smilie=011.gif]
I agree, the guys who worked on the upgrade did a great job.=D>
"If you put your nose really close to the screen and inhale deeply while reading these, you can almost taste the crazy." Waldo1

Jim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Jim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:57 pm

I like it, good job. =D>

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:09 pm

It appears we lost the ability to hover over the subject & get a snippet of what's in the post... I'm using FireFox & when I hover over the subject of a thread I get a generic "unread" instead of an indication about what was entered in the first post...

Otherwise I think the upgrade seems a bit faster... & I like the Quick Links button in upper-left...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

Sutol
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Sutol » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Yeah, I mentionned it in the first message after the upgrade. I need to find a script compatible with this version and I have not found it yet, if it ever exist.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Sutol wrote:Yeah, I mentionned it in the first message after the upgrade. I need to find a script compatible with this version and I have not found it yet, if it ever exist.
if you guys are talking about mouse-over please dump that s';t, if you have an optical mouse it just rolls itself to a topic and blasts the summary across your screen , how different is just one click a way to find out whats actually in a post [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Sutol wrote:Yeah, I mentionned it in the first message after the upgrade. I need to find a script compatible with this version and I have not found it yet, if it ever exist.
if you guys are talking about mouse-over please dump that s';t, if you have an optical mouse it just rolls itself to a topic and blasts the summary across your screen , how different is just one click a way to find out whats actually in a post [-(
+1 Ditching that feature is an improvement.
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

Vinnie357
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Vinnie357 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am

Sutol wrote:
Vinnie357 wrote:[smilie=pdt_xtremez_42.gif] Kinda like saying "all quiet" on a data center shift change. [smilie=crash.gif]
Yeah, but done nonetheless.

OK gents. Uograde is down. Searches may be slow as it is in the process of rebuilding a huge index files.

Plugins like Tapatalk, message view and resize images are not functional at this time as, of course, I need to hunt the upgrades too.

Otherwise, all the rest should be fine. Oh, and we did not lose data.
Grate success - much excite! [smilie=cheers1.gif]

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:17 am

305tillimoved wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:
+1 Ditching that feature is an improvement.
Each to their own I guess. I'm on 5 gun forums and this is the only one without the "mouse over" feature. I find the snippet of info very useful. With my set up it takes at least 3 times as long to "click" & get the full post as it does to get the "mouse over" snippet. Without the mouse over feature the subject had better be enticing or I'm more than likely going to skip the topic all together, I actually open less than 10% of the threads. I simply don't have the desire to delve into topics I've seen before or the "subject" is only tangentially related to the post.

Again each to their own. It would be nice to have the mouse over a profile feature that we could turn on or off as we each prefer.

Overall I think the upgrade has improved the forum, but I miss my "mouse over".

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:56 am

Just noticed we get a notification if were quoted...about time! Digging that upgrade.
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:18 am

I suppose you could have a poll on mouse over. I personally don't care either way, and I am probably not alone.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:05 am

whats stupid about mouse over is it only shows you the fist few sentences of the first post on that topic, in the summary :ham'r , if there have been added posts that you may wanna read , and don't click on the thread you're still missing out , just click on it and be smart enough to remember that you have read it and it wasn't worth reading the updates on.

remember the smartest guy on the forum =:wvr asked for mouse over in the first place [-(
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:32 pm

No longer able to see a member's location on each post - you have to click on their name to find out. Makes for an extra step when browsing the B/S/T forum, if you want to know what is "local" for the seller.

Other than that the formatting looks great on my Droid Turbo.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:32 am

flcracker wrote:No longer able to see a member's location on each post - you have to click on their name to find out. Makes for an extra step when browsing the B/S/T forum, if you want to know what is "local" for the seller.
This is kinda annoying considering it previously was always displayed.

And also I'm glad the mouse over is gone. 99% of the time I'm on a tablet or phone and If I back out of a thread the mouse over pops up and I have to reload the page to get around it. Click the topic if it sounds interesting, Dont half read it.

Otherwise Im liking the upgrade.

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am

And now I see the location deal is showing like before, sweet!

Thanks guys

Sutol
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Sutol » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:11 am

This is weird, I made no changes and it seems that no other admin did. I am glad it works the way you want though.

TeeJay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TeeJay » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 pm

I think the difference is on my iPad i get the locations. The board looks more like it used to but on my iPhone it does not show the locations with a different look to the board. Using safari on both.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 pm

TeeJay wrote: iPad ...... iPhone

maybe that's your problem [smilie=011.gif]

Sutol
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Sutol » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:53 pm

TeeJay wrote:I think the difference is on my iPad i get the locations. The board looks more like it used to but on my iPhone it does not show the locations with a different look to the board. Using safari on both.
Like rent says, it is your problem. However, this is not a problem. This is the way the skin is designed. It adapts to the machine you display the site on. I however see the member's location on my iPad.