Question for LEO

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Question for LEO

Post by molivo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:58 pm

A buddy of mines girlfriend bought a new car tonight. She was driving it (with him) to a friends house. After being there for awhile a police officer knocked on the door and asked them outside saying that they were looking for the car because it had been involved in a high speed pursuit. They didnt know they make, model, OR tag number but they said they were positive that was the car. They proceeded to harass him and his girlfriend, telling them they were going to impound the car and arrest them both ect ect. In the end, they ended up just writing down both their drivers license numbers and addresses down and said they were going to get an arrest warrant. I was just curious if they could do that. It sounded like they were just blowing smoke trying to get them to fess up to something they, but I wanted to get some LEO"s opnions on what they could/couldnt do.
Matt

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:33 pm

I'm not a LEO, but based on past experience seeing a neighbor spend the night in jail on trumped-up animal cruelty charges after accidentally hitting his own dog, I have to ask:

The buddy's gf didn't, by chance, once date an officer from the department that provided the hassle-ment, did she?

:-k

flcracker

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:12 pm

No, the police really were chasing a car because the neighborhood they were chasing it around is only a few blocks awa from where I live and I heard the sirens, so the cops (while being pricks) were legit.

Lupinus

Post by Lupinus » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:24 pm

I love cops, but some....well I will be nice
There are people in this world with less worth then a three legged dog suffering a broken hip. Michael Moore and Sarah Brady are some of these people.~Me

pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pyrguns2003 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:05 pm

It kinda compares with a Blood Hound.

Once they have a scent trail, they will not back down until it runs out.

Hence the car. They were 99% sure it was your neighbor's car, and did everything they could to get the 1% needed to make the arrest. If your neighbors are indeed not guilty, then they will have nothing to worry about. Maybe look into getting another car. LOL
The cops will try everything in their power (sometimes being a little over the top pushy) to bring out the confession 1%. They are cops, and cops do the cop thing. "Good cop, Bad cop".
I wish them the best.
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:58 am

Yeah I am pretty sure that they have nothing to worry about. I think if the cops had enough to arrest them theyw ould have done it on the spot.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 am

They didnt know they make, model, OR tag number but they said they were positive that was the car
If they didnt know all that then they were not positive it was the car...
In the end, they ended up just writing down both their drivers license numbers and addresses down and said they were going to get an arrest warrant.
Knowing the little bit you gave no SA or judge would issue a warrent for that. You need PC to make an arrest or get a warrent. Without knowing any facts on the car, or being able to ID anybody as the driver, you cant do a thing. Fleeing and eluding is a felony...Im sure if they had the PC to make the arrest they would have done it then.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken