Test drove a 2012 Caprice PPV today..

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Test drove a 2012 Caprice PPV today..

Post by flashooter22 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:59 pm

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/swps/caprice.pdf

Got to test drive a 2012 Caprice PPV today on a closed driving pad. With the crown vic almost done we are looking for a good replacement. Apparently Chargers and Tahoes have been ruled out due to money and maintanence issues with the current ones we have. The Caprice is pretty ugly however I can get past the looks. The power was very impressive. 6.0 LS2 motor with 355HP and 384lb ft torque made the car move pretty damn well...The 100 HP over my current 07 CVPI is very nice. The car handles pretty well too. Did some high speed turns with traction control and then took it off and pushed..and passed the envelope [smilie=011.gif]. The biggest thing that everyone hated was the small mirrors and very crappy rear blind spots. It sucked backing!!!!!

Hopefully we will be getting the new Ford Interceptor to compare. :ber
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

aquajon
BANNED

Re: Test drove a 2012 Caprice PPV today..

Post by aquajon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Wasn't there suppose to be a Focus police car coming out with a twin turbo V6?
I didn't see fuel economy listed in that pdf. I guess it's crappy, which is what I would expect from a 6L V8.
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:17 pm

aquajon wrote:Wasn't there suppose to be a Focus police car coming out with a twin turbo V6?
I didn't see fuel economy listed in that pdf. I guess it's crappy, which is what I would expect from a 6L V8.
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEh3N4eB8Kw][/url]

Its the Interceptor. One engine is the 3.5 ecoboost turbo V6. 360ish HP I believe is what they said. Also available in AWD, or standard FWD which Im not a fan of. Its based off the Taurus , not Focus.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

mikecu
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mikecu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Is the Crown Vic going or gone out of production?

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm

mikecu wrote:Is the Crown Vic going or gone out of production?

Yep I think this is the last year for them

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cougar_guy04 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 pm

mikecu wrote:Is the Crown Vic going or gone out of production?
Either 2011 or 2012 (I can never remember) is the last model year for the venerable beast. It's been fleet sales only for a few years now (maybe 06-07 time frame). Several PD's and taxi companies are looking to stockpile them as they're not that thrilled with the replacements:
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/aus ... 09441.html
http://www.freep.com/article/20110824/B ... a-retiring
http://jalopnik.com/5811221/a-secret-tr ... city-taxis

I will say, I love my 2004 (it's a P74, not a P71) and will probably be driving it for a long danged time to come. My only gripes . . . the engine/gearing is a little anemic for my taste and that I didn't hold out and look for a 2004 LX Sport. My hometown Sheriff's Department in rural Illinois had an aero model (95-97) that had close to 500k miles before they retired it. That plus some of the other high-mileage examples I've seen, I figure mine should be just getting broke in at 100k . . . plus I should be able to get spare parts for a long time to come.

It's too bad the Caprice is Police/Fleet only. It'd be about the only "domestic" replacement for my Vic and importing a proper Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore would be a bit pricey. [smilie=011.gif]
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 pm

They're already done. Original plan called to close the factory today, actually, though I don't know if it actually happened.

Tahoe FTW.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 am

wakkoss wrote:

Tahoe FTW.
Apparently ours are not holding up very well. They gave all the K9s and CDOs Tahoes and they are constantly in the motor pool. Believe me, all the FTOs asked for Tahoes since we are carrying double gear most of the time...that was answered with a big fat NO!