Question for LEO

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
atcdoug

Question for LEO

Post by atcdoug » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:12 pm

When buying and trading among Florida residents it is not always feasible to meet at ones home. It seems I am finding myself sometimes doing this in public parking lots. Is this perfectly legal? What if a passer by sees us? I have a CCW but it's sometimes hard to conceal a trade or sale without looking at it. I don't flash or hold a handgun up to the light but what if someone unexpectedly walk by and saw us and decided to call you? Are there any consequences? Thanks!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:12 am

Just my non-LEO perspective. Florida law doesn't regulate private firearms sales or trades. Therefore it doesn't regulate where the sale or trade can occur.

I've done many private deals away from home. Overlooking the ocean, in gas station parking lots, whatever. Regardless of the location, discretion should be paramount. Is there a possibility that someone will get nosey and call the cops? Sure, but you're conducting a legal transaction and shouldn't get panicked if the cops do show up. At that point use common sense and move slowly!

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

matt7184
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by matt7184 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:49 am

I agree, just use common sense.

You will be suprised how little attention people pay. Kinda like how people think everyone is looking at their gun when they carry concealed.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:58 am

matt7184 wrote:I agree, just use common sense.

You will be suprised how little attention people pay. Kinda like how people think everyone is looking at their gun when they carry concealed.
Indeed.

I once bought a firearm private party. We met in a gas station parking lot. The way we did the deal was I steped into his office(his car) sat down, inspected the gun and did the sale there. Nice car too. Anyway, cars are generally(though not always) treated as private property the same way as your house. Just an idea for you.

Of course if it is a large firearm inspecting it in the confines of a car maybe to difficult.
Libertas aut mortis!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:27 am

Cloaked Dagger wrote:Of course if it is a large firearm inspecting it in the confines of a car maybe to difficult.
I bought an M1A (pretty large gun!) from member Lincoln's Wax (I believe) several years ago. We met at a gas station and I inspected it in his car. I knew what I was looking for and it never went above door level. And there were quite a few people hanging around. =D>

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

matt7184
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by matt7184 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:31 am

If you do it in a Walmart parking lot or of a place that sells guns probably would scare the sheeple less also...just a thought.

Chubber
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Chubber » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:23 pm

Yeah, just don't go "inspecting" a shotgun for sale in the bank parking lot and you will have a lot less misunderstandings...
"I would rather someone was wrapped in the Constitution burning the flag than wrapped in the flag burning the Constitution." - MoxieGrrrl.com

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:36 pm

I've bought two .22 pistols in Fort Lauderdale city parks, a Makarov in a Denny's parking lot, an AK-47 in a Publix parking lot, a Mosin-Nagant in an IHOP parking lot, and my 12 guage in a gun club parking lot.

Otherwise, I've bought lots in the privacy of people's homes.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

Chubber
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Chubber » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:59 pm

glockpacker wrote:a Makarov in a Denny's parking lot
Hey, I bought a Makarov in a Denny's parking lot once. I guess they just go together.
"I would rather someone was wrapped in the Constitution burning the flag than wrapped in the flag burning the Constitution." - MoxieGrrrl.com

pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pyrguns2003 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:31 pm

O.K. Here is the law for Pinellas County:

Sec. 86-85. Intent and purpose.
It is the intent of this ordinance to implement in the county the constitutionally granted authority to ensure that no firearm is sold, offered for sale, transferred or delivered where any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has a right of access unless there is a three full day waiting period and a national criminal history background check of the potential purchaser is conducted. This ordinance applies to both seller and purchasers of firearms

Now my question is.....
If you are in your car (private property) does this effect you?
ie...
If you are in Walmart parking lot, where it is against the law, but in your car, how does that pan out?
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Since Florida state law doesn't regulate private firearms sales between individuals of legal standing, I would say the Pinellas County ordinance is invalid.

Moe

DeltaWolf

Post by DeltaWolf » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:40 am

Wall-Mart has to many camera's on the light poles for me,
but there are plenty of other places.
-Dave

RiPPeD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by RiPPeD » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:42 pm

Oh no.. Walmart the new guberment... big brother is watching you shop.. LOL JK.. the only thing i could forsee a LEO doing if respoded to a transaction. he would most likely run both individuals and the firearms on scene. if he/she even wished to go that far.
In God We Trust, All others are suspects.

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:22 pm

Oh, and an SKS in a motel room in Palm Bay.

The .22's were bought from neeko and head. They're the only ones that looked at my CCW license.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pyrguns2003 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:30 pm

mjmensale wrote:Since Florida state law doesn't regulate private firearms sales between individuals of legal standing, I would say the Pinellas County ordinance is invalid.

Moe
Going from the top of the pyramid.

Federal
State
County
City

Where you are located at the time of transaction, means that you have to follow local ordinances, regulations.
If Pinellas County Sherrif's dept were to be called to the scene where there was a suspicious transaction taking place, they would have every right to enforce the ordinance.
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226