So Boca PD pulls me over and finds my gun...

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
aquajon
BANNED

So Boca PD pulls me over and finds my gun...

Post by aquajon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 am

...and was completely professional about it! Thought I would share one of the many stories of LEO's acting professionally with all the media attention the mistakes get.

Pulled over about 12:30am, for an illegal right turn. Didn't turn into the right most lane on the right hand turn =:wvr
I'm sure the officer was fishing for drunks. Initially he thought I was another LEO from the sticker on the back of my car, but he misread it. He noticed my concealed carry permit and asked if there were any guns in the car. I told him and handed it over to him under his direction. He ran the numbers, brought it back and said have a nice day =D>

Thanks officer whoever you are.
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Re: So Boca PD pulls me over and finds my gun...

Post by tector » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 am

I like this cop encounter better:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... e_ak-4.php [smilie=011.gif]

Seriously, you rarely seem to hear anything bad about the Boca PD--I can't recall any corruption stories, over-the-top reactions, etc. Of course, generally, they have a bit of an easier crowd than some other LEAs.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:56 am

tector wrote:I like this cop encounter better:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... e_ak-4.php [smilie=011.gif]
they forgot the add in the open beer bottle and illegal SBR, the AK has no stock :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am

Rentprop1 wrote:they forgot the add in the open beer bottle and illegal SBR, the AK has no stock :-k
AOW if we are going that route. VFG and no stock.
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 am

aquajon wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:they forgot the add in the open beer bottle and illegal SBR, the AK has no stock :-k
AOW if we are going that route. VFG and no stock.
even since it started life as a rifle and the stock was removed ?? note the extended muzzle break to bring it to 16 ( when it was legal ) if they had built it as a pistol the MB wasn't needed and the front grip would have made it an AOW
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:37 am

Rentprop1 wrote:even since it started life as a rifle and the stock was removed ?? note the extended muzzle break to bring it to 16 ( when it was legal ) if they had built it as a pistol the MB wasn't needed and the front grip would have made it an AOW
Maybe, I was thinking it was always a pistol since there is no way this guy knows how to remove an AK stock. In the scenario you describe it would be a SBS. Then again, it might just as easily be airsoft.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 am

aquajon wrote:Then again, it might just as easily be airsoft.
from the pic it looks real, black plastic grips and the front sight is backed up against the MB, leading it to be a correct AMD-65
the stock was a metal folding stock, the tube is about as thick as a pencil, hacksaw and 2 min to shorten it [smilie=033.gif]

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 pm

So Jon, did you offer your permit before he asked?
Go Trump!

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Dave P wrote:So Jon, did you offer your permit before he asked?
No. He saw it when I removed my DL and asked about guns in the car. I never volunteer that information.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 pm

aquajon wrote:
No. He saw it when I removed my DL and asked about guns in the car. I never volunteer that information.
That happened to me with FHP. It was no big deal. There were other issues I had with that stop, but not the weapon issue.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sterling991 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 pm

I often wonder about negative pd stops. In the past 5 years I've had 2 stops. One by fhp and one in Boca. I was armed both times and told the guy I was. Why does everyone get their panties in a bunch over this?

Both times he guys asked for the gun. I handed it to them. They put it in the trunk. I ended up talking to both of them about what they carry and I received no ticket. On one of those occasions I was 100 percent in the wrong and admitted I was speeding. Again, no ticket.

Maybe im lucky?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 pm

tector wrote: There were other issues I had with that stop, but not the weapon issue.
was it the dead hookers dress sticking out of the trunk lid or the white powder under your nose

j/k [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:30 pm

sterling991 wrote:I often wonder about negative pd stops. In the past 5 years I've had 2 stops. One by fhp and one in Boca. I was armed both times and told the guy I was. Why does everyone get their panties in a bunch over this?

Both times he guys asked for the gun. I handed it to them. They put it in the trunk. I ended up talking to both of them about what they carry and I received no ticket. On one of those occasions I was 100 percent in the wrong and admitted I was speeding. Again, no ticket.

Maybe im lucky?
My problem was (1) it was a bullshit "primary" seat-belt stop (at a Turnpike toll plaza) and (2) the idiot FHPer didn't know the law, insisting it was a moving violation. Or perhaps he did know the law and was just lying for his desired effect. But, as I said, I had no problem on the gun issue. Just give them the gun and cooperate. A traffic stop is no time for a seminar on the Second Amendment.

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 pm

The last time I was pulled over was with PBSO and in a similar situation as here with BPD. Deputy didn't even take the gun. He just said to keep it holstered and to not reach for it. That sounded very reasonable for me. I also don't like the whole put the gun trunk thing, silly I think. At least the Boca cop put it my glove box were I could easily get it back as I drove off.

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sterling991 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:04 pm

tector wrote:
sterling991 wrote:I often wonder about negative pd stops. In the past 5 years I've had 2 stops. One by fhp and one in Boca. I was armed both times and told the guy I was. Why does everyone get their panties in a bunch over this?

Maybe im lucky?
My problem was (1) it was a bullshit "primary" seat-belt stop (at a Turnpike toll plaza) and (2) the idiot FHPer didn't know the law, insisting it was a moving violation. Or perhaps he did know the law and was just lying for his desired effect. But, as I said, I had no problem on the gun issue. Just give them the gun and cooperate. A traffic stop is no time for a seminar on the Second Amendment.
Tector,

I was talking about the pd stops where people go insane over the gun issue. I was not referring to your situation. I should have been more specific.

I 100 percent agree with you about the soap box second amendment traffic stops. I know there are bad cops, like any other large organization they have bad apples. However, 9/10 times it's some poor guy doing the job and wants to be home with the family or drinking a beer with buddies. He wants my gun? No prob man, if I need a gun during a traffic stop I've got bigger issues.

People that want to make a point about gun laws should get active in politics or file a lawsuit. Dont hassle the poor cop who could care less.

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Not only is a bad idea to argue about a gun, it is a bad idea to argue at all. Simply state your position and deal with it later if things are that bad. At a traffic stop you are at an enormous power disadvantage (unless you are prepared to go seriously criminal). Just deal with it and fight another day in another forum (court, file a complaint, whatever).

gaterloco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by gaterloco » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm

tector wrote:Not only is a bad idea to argue about a gun, it is a bad idea to argue at all. Simply state your position and deal with it later if things are that bad. At a traffic stop you are at an enormous power disadvantage (unless you are prepared to go seriously criminal). Just deal with it and fight another day in another forum (court, file a complaint, whatever).
You've hit the nail on the head here, excellent post.
The situation is probably not going to get better, but people learn to live with what they must. A good man can face up to almost anything as long as he is adequately armed. Col. Jeff Cooper

KennyFSU

Post by KennyFSU » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 pm

To the OP, great story and glad it was without any incident. My tactic is just never to break any traffic laws (good luck with that lol).

racer88

Post by racer88 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:08 pm

aquajon wrote:
That's one reason I keep my CCW license in one of the hidden slots in my wallet. I don't keep it visible where anyone can see it, like my driver's license. Need to know basis.

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:48 am

Jon, glad this was a positive experience for you..
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01
"You show your enemies your Glock. You show your friends your 1911."