LEO - Q RE: School Bus at T intersection

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
re-pete

LEO - Q RE: School Bus at T intersection

Post by re-pete » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 am

Every morning I wait at the school bus stop with my 8 year old. The bus stop is at a three-way corner 'T' intersection. The bus stops at the East (left) side of the T facing West.

Almost daily various neighbors on their way to work turn left in front of the stopped school bus while the kids are loading, turning from the West (right) side of the T while facing East and proceeding South.

A couple weeks ago my kid almost got ran over by someone turning left in front of the stopped school bus.

Is it illegal to turn left in front of a stopped school bus? What can be done to stop the safety hazard?

Thanks

Cracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: LEO - Q RE: School Bus at T intersection

Post by Cracker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 am

re-pete wrote:Every morning I wait at the school bus stop with my 8 year old. The bus stop is at a three-way corner 'T' intersection. The bus stops at the East (left) side of the T facing West.

Almost daily various neighbors on their way to work turn left in front of the stopped school bus while the kids are loading, turning from the West (right) side of the T while facing East and proceeding South.

A couple weeks ago my kid almost got ran over by someone turning left in front of the stopped school bus.

Is it illegal to turn left in front of a stopped school bus? What can be done to stop the safety hazard?

Thanks
It is illegal to pass a stopped school bus in either direction unless there is a median between the bus and the oncoming traffic. If there is a median, I don't know of any law that prohibits someone on a cross street from turning into a lane on the other side of the median and continuing past the school bus, but there probably should be one.

My best suggestion is for you to contact the appropriate police department, explain the problem, and see what they can do to help. If there isn't a was prohibiting the turn you described, maybe the buss stop can be relocated a little further from the intersection, mid block, for example.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: LEO - Q RE: School Bus at T intersection

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm

you need to call and complain to the transportation section of the school board, ask them to move the bus stop to the west side of the " T ", if you have to : video tape the cars turning in close proximity to the bus, if they are reluctant to move the stop, tell them you will hold on to the video tape and document the date and time of the requested move and should there ever be an accident it will resurface.

I've had the bus stop moved twice , once for the HS bus and the middle school bus stop out from in front of my house since there are only 2 kids and they walk about 300 backwards from where the bus stop should be, I got sick of the juice box and candy wrappers in my yard, but I cited safety concerns, it was a no brainer that in the afternoon, the bus dropped off 2 kinds than had to speed past them on the way down the hill, when the stop should have clearly been at the bottom of the hill #-o
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.