Announcement for LEO's:

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Project Appleseed

Announcement for LEO's:

Post by Project Appleseed » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Since its inception in 2006, Project Appleseed has successfully taught the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship to over 20,000 students, with over 10,000 students in 2010 alone. They credit their success to their devoutly non-political message: Reconnect with the ideals of the founding generation through marksmanship, learn about the challenges and sacrifices that *they* made, so that we wouldn't have to.

In recognition of the service to the community that our nations law enforcement organizations provide, Project Appleseed, the nation-wide non profit organization that is teaching thousands of Americans how to handle their rifles, has just announced that they will be offering their classes free of charge to all law enforcement personnel. LEO's wishing to attend need only indicate their law enforcement status during the registration process, and show proper ID at the event.

Law enforcement officers are added to an increasing list of persons who attend these events for free, which includes all women, responsible persons under 21, active-duty military, elected officials, and Revolutionary War reenactors in period costume. The fee for those few who do not fall into the free categories is a paltry $80 for two full days of instruction.

By combining early American history with rifle marksmanship, Project Appleseed has created a program of instruction that is introducing a whole new generation of sportsmen to one of the finest traditions this nation has to offer. Far from being a 'new-to-shooting' class, the program of instruction includes difficult courses of fire, incorporating magazine changes, rapid target acquisition and decidedly short timed sequences.

While the thrust of the course is on fundamentals, more experienced shooters will also realize significant improvement in their skills.

The US Army has utilized instruction from Project Appleseed Instructors to train its troops on long-range shooting techniques, in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan, where the typical engagements begin at distances exceeding the level of marksmanship ability currently taught in basic training. In our first-ever military event, 50 men who qualified as "Squad Designated Marksmen" were put through a week of intense training at Fort Stewart, GA. These "Squad Designated Marksman" used their standard issue M4 rifles for our course, and afterwords, were able to consistently hit a man-sized target at 500 yards, in full gear. While the increased qualification rate is classified, I can say that the battalion commander was sufficiently impressed, and Project Appleseed has since offered its classes to two other military units, with more in the works.

Students are expected to bring their own rifles and ammunition. In some cases, a loaner rifle may be made available for a student to use, but this is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Any safe rifle, from 22lr to 8mm is A-okay. Full-auto or selective fire rifles must be capable of firing on semi-auto for inclusion. Expect to utilize in excess of 300 rounds for your weekend course; some events have utilized over 800 rounds, though they are the exception, not the rule.

Project Appleseed here in Florida has many events scheduled for the remainder of 2010, with hardly a weekend left in the year without at least one event somewhere in the state. To find the event nearest you, please see our website, http://www.AppleseedInfo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more information on this exciting new policy, simply respond to this thread, or contact me directly.

Eric McCabe
Florida State Coordinator
Project Appleseed
http://www.AppleseedInfo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/:f
Email: FL@AppleseedInfo.org

heavyzee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Announcement for LEO's:

Post by heavyzee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:23 pm

when ya'll comin back down to south florida?
‎[Jews] do not tend to explode on buses as a form of revenge; not even in Germany. At most we'll argue with you until you die of boredom.

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:41 pm

Our next event in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) is on October 2nd and 3rd. Currently not listed, but should be up within the week. (You heard it here first!)

You can keep track of the latest events by following this link: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-sta ... me=Florida" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please download a flier and post it up in your dept. break room!

Flier and other promotional materials can be found here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8640.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:44 am

Id like to try this, but cant see how one can shoot a 22 at a 25yd target w/ simulated 300+ yard targets on it while using a 3-9x scope and calling themselves 'riflemen'

I thought it was irons only? Either way i wanna take myself and my son to do this one year
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

heavyzee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by heavyzee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 pm

ill be there w/ my gf [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]

signed up today... now i just gotta find a rifle for her to use.... :-k
‎[Jews] do not tend to explode on buses as a form of revenge; not even in Germany. At most we'll argue with you until you die of boredom.

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

gaterloco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by gaterloco » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:25 pm

heavyzee wrote:ill be there w/ my gf [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]

signed up today... now i just gotta find a rifle for her to use.... :-k

Moe has a couple of 10/22's listed in B/S/T
The situation is probably not going to get better, but people learn to live with what they must. A good man can face up to almost anything as long as he is adequately armed. Col. Jeff Cooper