LEO: How much info from tag?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
223splatfactor
Member
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:02 pm
Location: Central Fl. Port Saint Lucie.

LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by 223splatfactor » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:48 pm

My son and I were having a chat about a recent speeding ticket he got. He has CCW and was coming back from the range.
FHP clocked him in excess(not very much ) of the posted speed.
Officer wrote him a citation.
I told him that from what I've read that if stopped, hand both peices of plastic to the officer and possibly avoid a ticket.

He maintains that the officer, after running the tags already knows he has the CCW.

Thats the question. How much info does the officer get from a tag read?

Both of have us have great respect for the law. He wouldn't speed intentionally.

Any LEO care to comment? Thanks-Neil

User avatar
forcefed
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:14 pm
Location: North Palm Beach

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by forcefed » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

No ccw info.
Last edited by forcefed on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

User avatar
BasketCase
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by BasketCase » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

I don't care if they know or not. I am not volunteering any information to a LEO.
Anything you say to a LEO can be used against you. Nothing you say to a LEO can be used to help you.
If they ask I will tell them and show the license. If they don't ask they must not have needed to know.

Whenever you talk to LEOs either answer their questions truthfully and directly or keep your mouth shut. Don't lie or tell them things they didn't ask about.

Also, many LEOs will disarm you once they know you are armed (that is of course their right to do). They also like to unload your gun and put it in the trunk so that you can't access it until after they are gone. You should never give them an excuse to see the inside of your trunk even if you know there is nothing illegal there.

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by NonConformist » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Most wont answer fully and Id love to know what comes up these days, we didnt have MDTs we had to call teletype to get the info, all we got was info on vehicle, registered owner, if it was on the hot sheet and info for the person was only wants/warrant and that was about it as I recall
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 10802
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by NonConformist » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:36 pm

BasketCase wrote:
Also, many LEOs will disarm you once they know you are armed (that is of course their right to do).
NOT!
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

kilo905
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by kilo905 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 pm

223splatfactor wrote: Any LEO care to comment? Thanks-Neil
Inputting a tag number (either through an MDT or a dispatch console) automatically runs it though two system databases. The first is maintained by FLDE and lets the LEO know if the tag has been entered as stolen or otherwise linked to a "hot list". The second system is maintained by DHSMV and provides the registered owner's information. Some agencies also autorun the tag though their local CAD system to determine if the tag has been stopped in the past.

The LEO can than take the registered owner's information (or driver's license information if handed over) and run a separate query through a different database, which houses CCW holder information. I'm not sure who maintains this database, since nothing else is attached to it. I would imagine a "bridge" program can be created to autorun the registered owner information from DHSMV against the CCW database, but I am not aware of any agencies doing so. My experience is that many LEO don't even know a CCW database exists, much less use it on a routine basis.

Basically, a LEO can determine if the registered owner of a vehicle he stopped has a valid CCW without making contact with the driver, but it is not automatic and he has to open queries in a couple of different databases, so both of you are technically correct.

User avatar
TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 pm
Location: TAMPA BAY, FL

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by TampaShooters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 am

The Trooper lied, it does not come up when a tag is ran. To obtain or check CCW info, It needs to be queried separately by CCW Number or SSN.
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

User avatar
mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Palm Beach County

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by mjmensale » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 pm

kilo905 wrote:The LEO can than take the registered owner's information (or driver's license information if handed over) and run a separate query through a different database, which houses CCW holder information. I'm not sure who maintains this database, since nothing else is attached to it.
The only CWL database I'm aware of is maintained by the Dept of Agriculture, which oversees the CWL program.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

User avatar
bamf.45
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:10 pm
Location: Palm Beach County

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by bamf.45 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 pm

I had a friend of mine run my name few months ago and my CCL didnt come up but what did kinda freaked me out was a pic of me that i dont know how they got in there system. Lil weird i thought cause i was out somewhere looked like i was partying :ber haha.

User avatar
namelessfaceless
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1401
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Broward

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by namelessfaceless » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 am

bamf.45 wrote:I had a friend of mine run my name few months ago and my CCL didnt come up but what did kinda freaked me out was a pic of me that i dont know how they got in there system. Lil weird i thought cause i was out somewhere looked like i was partying :ber haha.
Musta merged systems with facebook [smilie=011.gif] :ber

User avatar
situationalray
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:38 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by situationalray » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:06 pm

NonConformist wrote:
BasketCase wrote:
Also, many LEOs will disarm you once they know you are armed (that is of course their right to do).
NOT!
Sorry to steer this thread into another direction, but can you expand on this?

Are you saying that LEOs do not have the right to disarms you, if they know that you have a firearm on your person?

User avatar
confedneck
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Lehigh Acres, FL

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by confedneck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:47 pm

situationalray wrote:
NonConformist wrote:
BasketCase wrote:
Also, many LEOs will disarm you once they know you are armed (that is of course their right to do).
NOT!
Sorry to steer this thread into another direction, but can you expand on this?

Are you saying that LEOs do not have the right to disarms you, if they know that you have a firearm on your person?
They don't, if you are not breaking any laws, they have NO RIGHT to disarm you. You are no threat to them, simply because you have a burned out taillight bulb (Real or not)
"Something old, something new, something stainless, something blued" stolen with consent

"Don't Moe me, bro"

Safety Bullet

Jeffrosdl
Member
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: Weeki Wachee
Contact:

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by Jeffrosdl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:11 am

You may want to look up some case law on this before answering so surely. If you are being stopped, then you ARE in violation of a law; therefore, the LEO has every right to pull you out of the car at their discretion and frisk you for weapons (Terry stop). I guarantee that once they locate it, you WILL be disarmed until the conclusion of the stop for officer safety reasons.


User avatar
mikecu
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2250
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:57 pm
Location: Palm Beach County

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by mikecu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:16 am

I've been stopped and he didn't disarm me. He let me go with a verbal warning.
I don't know if the gun had anything to do with it though.

User avatar
maddawg918
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: Live Oak
Contact:

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by maddawg918 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:38 am

Jeffrosdl wrote:You may want to look up some case law on this before answering so surely. If you are being stopped, then you ARE in violation of a law; therefore, the LEO has every right to pull you out of the car at their discretion and frisk you for weapons (Terry stop). I guarantee that once they locate it, you WILL be disarmed until the conclusion of the stop for officer safety reasons.
WOW. An officer never makes a mistake huh? You get pulled over, you're guilty? Tell you what, you are definitely WRONG. I got stopped because the officer THOUGHT I wasn't wearing my seat belt. Guess I was in violation because I was stopped. But I was wearing my seatbelt.
Ammo-buy it cheap and stack it deep.

User avatar
1965mini
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:05 pm
Location: Miami-Dade County

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by 1965mini » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:41 am

Jeffrosdl wrote:You may want to look up some case law on this before answering so surely. If you are being stopped, then you ARE in violation of a law; therefore, the LEO has every right to pull you out of the car at their discretion and frisk you for weapons (Terry stop). I guarantee that once they locate it, you WILL be disarmed until the conclusion of the stop for officer safety reasons.
When u get stop there is a possiblilty of an alleged vioaltion. That is why we go to court and the Officer has to prove our guilt. :ham'r

Many have been stopped with firearms in thier autos and were not disarmed. Your guarantee must only work in some cases. :-k

User avatar
flcracker
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5568
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:55 am
Location: Safety Harbor

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by flcracker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 am

I'm hoping that what he meant was "If you are being stopped, you are in suspicion of having violated a law."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop
Traffic stops
A traffic stop is, for practical purposes, a Terry stop; for the duration of a stop, driver and passengers are “seized” within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. In the interest of officer safety, drivers and passengers may be ordered out of the vehicle without additional justification by the officer. Drivers and passengers may be searched for weapons upon reasonable suspicion they are armed and dangerous. If police reasonably suspect the driver or any of the occupants may be dangerous and that the vehicle may contain a weapon to which an occupant may gain access, police may perform a protective search of the passenger compartment.

Without a warrant, probable cause, or the driver’s consent, police may not search the vehicle, but under the “plain view” doctrine may seize and use as evidence weapons or contraband that are visible from outside the vehicle.

Writing for a unanimous Court in Arizona v. Johnson, 129 S.Ct. 781 (2009), Justice Ginsburg gives a comprehensive summary of most of the above-cited jurisprudence relating to traffic stops.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Jeffrosdl
Member
Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: Weeki Wachee
Contact:

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by Jeffrosdl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Sorry guys, I didn't realize how stupid my post looked until after I posted it and saw the replies... :ham'r I didn't mean that you are 100% guilty of a crime just because a LEO stops you. Of course the officer can make a mistake. That is why you have the ability to take it to court if you are charged with something. I guess what I was trying to say was that the LEO isn't going to just stop you for no reason, there has to be reasonable suspicion that you are in violation of a traffic offense / crime.

Thanks for the link, flcracker. That's what I was getting at.


User avatar
florida_pi
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 pm
Location: Safety Harbor, Florida

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by florida_pi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 pm

There's a good system to use when your stopped. Turn on your interior lighting (at night), power down your windows, and have your DL in your hand when he or she arrives. This is not kissing his ass or giving up any of your rights, it's just common courtesy. Your actions will usually be rewarded. The truth is most drivers talk themselves into a citation.

I see no reason to tell him your armed unless your getting some requested documentation and you know your hand will be in close proximity to your weapon. If your registration is in the glove box with your 44 he needs to know. If its in your right rear pocket near your waistband holster he needs to know.

Just my two cents.

Best to All
Retired LEO and PI
Retired NRA Law Enforcement Instructor

User avatar
L4zy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: St Pete, FL

Re: LEO: How much info from tag?

Post by L4zy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm

We don't get CCW info when we run your tag. Apparently (according to a poster above me) the database exists and we CAN access it, but I never have nor have I ever heard anyone say we have access before today.

Post Reply