Any probation officers on board?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Any probation officers on board?

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Looking through the state job listings, I saw there were a few openings for probations officers. I figure that's a pretty recession proof industry... do you enjoy it or does it really suck butt?
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Any probation officers on board?

Post by FLEMTP » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm

lets see... you have to have a bachelors degree IIRC, the pay isnt the best, and 100% of your clientele are convicted criminals.... :-k

oh, and you go into their homes with no backup, typically solo to either do a home visit, or to make an arrest on someone who DOES NOT want to go back to jail.

I'll tell ya ... they have bigger balls than anyone I know !
Without guns, we'd be british!

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 am

Well I have an interview on Thursday. We'll see how it goes. The academy starts in the end of July. At least if I hate being a PO (if I get the job) I can transition to a regular cop.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

gaterloco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by gaterloco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I used to think it was a job that could ruin a person. Then I met a customer who is a parole officer. Just about the sweetest and most down to earth lady I've ever met. She enjoyed her work and did not denigrate her "clients". Knowing her has been real mind opener for me.

The person makes the job, not vice-versa.
The situation is probably not going to get better, but people learn to live with what they must. A good man can face up to almost anything as long as he is adequately armed. Col. Jeff Cooper