Field treatment of venomous snake bites?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
copdoc

Field treatment of venomous snake bites?

Post by copdoc » Thu May 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Any one do a recent lit review? Anyone had to deal with it and if so what was your experience?

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Field treatment of venomous snake bites?

Post by glockpacker » Thu May 13, 2010 9:03 pm

According to that long-haired western doctor that treats snake bite victims... I saw an episode one night where a macho guy who kept rattlesnakes was bitten on his forearm. He had made the two cuts in the bite and tried to suck out the poison, then didn't go to the doctor for a while. By the time he finally did, he was in lots of pain and trouble.

The doctor said, "We don't recommend that procedure any more."

The doc said that so little of the poison can be retrieved, that it's better to not do it... you might just end up with an infected snake bite.

The advice he gave was to try to get the snake so the facility will know what it is, then make the best time to a medical facility where they can treat you with the appropriate antivenin. I think the less exercise the victim does, the better. In other words, try not to get yourself in a situation where you're alone, and have to jog for 15 miles back to your car.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

Dr John Meade
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dr John Meade » Thu May 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes, I have treated dozens of snake bites.

The treatments have definitely changed. No more "cut & suck". No more tourniquets or "constricting bands". No ice. No electrical shock to the area.

Patient may need antivenin, which for pit vipers, is all recombinantly engineered today (ie, no more horse serum stuff). Therefore, you don't have the allergic reactions that once could kill you, if the snake venom didn't.
Dr John Meade
Emergency/Tactical Physician & Instructor

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. --John Adams

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Thu May 13, 2010 10:56 pm

It depends on what snake has bitten you. However most snakes int he U.S are not really deadly. It is suggested to cover the wond and to keep the person calm. The reason not to use a tourniquet with a diamondback is becuase the venom is hemotoxic. This means that it basically destroys tissues. If you use a tourniquet then you concentrate that venom to a smaller area and will cause long term damage to it. If it spreads then it will do less damage over all. Now this is based on the the fact you can get medical attention in 12-24 hours. The Miami-Dade Fire rescue team has the largest supply of anti-venom on the east coast. Actaully a few months ago a comcast cable worker in Ft. Lauderdale was bitten by a green mamba. He live but he was damn lucky. If you cannot get attention then you have to take more extreme measures. If it was a SHTF I would strongly consider finding leaches and using them. However this method may only work if done quickly. Otherwise immoblize the area and stay clam, and clean where the bite area was.

copdoc

Post by copdoc » Fri May 14, 2010 9:58 pm

cable worker in Ft. Lauderdale was bitten by a green mamba
You got green mambas in Miami?????? _: _: _: _: _: I hope they aren't breeding.

Did any of you see the pics of the 170 lb rattler from St Aug? Just wondered if it was real. I have heard the old guys talk about rattlers that big.

Dalton Wayne
BANNED

Post by Dalton Wayne » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:38 pm

There are all kinds of snakes kept as pets in Miami
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, sometimes we just snuggle.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW

Rustybarrel

Post by Rustybarrel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 pm

bama wrote:Yes, I have treated dozens of snake bites.

The treatments have definitely changed. No more "cut & suck". No more tourniquets or "constricting bands". No ice. No electrical shock to the area.

Patient may need antivenin, which for pit vipers, is all recombinantly engineered today (ie, no more horse serum stuff). Therefore, you don't have the allergic reactions that once could kill you, if the snake venom didn't.
+1
Also note about 40% of the time when bitten by a venomous snake, no venom is injected.

oldschoolersp101

Post by oldschoolersp101 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:37 pm

So here's a legit question...

Say I get bit by a snake in the campground I now work. If the pain becomes unbearable and inflammation occurs and I decapitate the sucker to take with me to the ER, so the doctor can properly identify the snake and perform the right treatment. Could I be fined/imprisoned if the snake comes up protected or endangered and I killed it for identification?
Freedom isn't free. It costs folks like you and me. If we don't all chip in, we'll never pay that bill!

maddawg918
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by maddawg918 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:49 pm

oldschoolersp101 wrote:So here's a legit question...

Say I get bit by a snake in the campground I now work. If the pain becomes unbearable and inflammation occurs and I decapitate the sucker to take with me to the ER, so the doctor can properly identify the snake and perform the right treatment. Could I be fined/imprisoned if the snake comes up protected or endangered and I killed it for identification?
I very seriously doubt it.

And IMHO, that would be the very least of my worries.
Ammo-buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Dr John Meade
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dr John Meade » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:26 pm

a) Endangered status doesn't give an animal "rights" to eat you.
b) What endangered poisonous snakes live in your area? I don't know of any.
c) Who really thinks this is a legitimate concern? :ham'r
Dr John Meade
Emergency/Tactical Physician & Instructor

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. --John Adams

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Did any of you see the pics of the 170 lb rattler from St Aug? Just wondered if it was real. I have heard the old guys talk about rattlers that big.
Like most internet legends, its size keeps growing. It was definately a big rattler, but no where near that big. It was 7'3". World record is right at 8' and weighed around 20lbs.

oldschoolersp101

Post by oldschoolersp101 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 pm

bama wrote:

a) Endangered status doesn't give an animal "rights" to eat you.
b) What endangered poisonous snakes live in your area? I don't know of any.
c) Who really thinks this is a legitimate concern? :ham'r
Well, in PA it's illegal to kill a Timber Rattler, in MI the masagwa(sp.) is protected, I don't know what snakes are here and what are protected.

I would say that if I got bit by something that seemed to pose more threat than infection I would probably take a pic with my phone first and destroy it 2nd off the record.
Freedom isn't free. It costs folks like you and me. If we don't all chip in, we'll never pay that bill!