EMT/Paramedic training classes?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Project Appleseed

EMT/Paramedic training classes?

Post by Project Appleseed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm

I know that we have a few Paramedics/EMT's here on the boards, and I was wondering if any of them could chime in on this.

As an Instructor for Rifle Marksmanship, I have to be vigilant with respect to safety; make sure everyone knows the safety rules, and assure that they are followed. There remains, however, a certain level of risk involved in such activity, and I am considering taking some kind of EMT or Paramedic classes to ensure that I can competently render assistance, should the worst happen.

It is more likely that I will encounter issues such as chest pain, allergic reactions, and difficulty breathing, but having the know-how to deal with GSW's would be nice.

Any thoughts?

Jon-m

Re: EMT/Paramedic training classes?

Post by Jon-m » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:59 pm

If you've got the time and the patience, it can't hurt :-k
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms .. disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes .. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -T. J.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Definitely do it. I took a basic First Responder course including gunshot wounds specifically for working at the range. I always have Quick Clot with me too for that purpose. Worst med case I've had so far is a guy that got bit by ants and had a severe allergic reaction to it. Took Sunrise Fire Rescue 15 minutes to get there, too. Yes, FIFTEEN.

I'd post this in the First Responder section, but Ira and FLEMTP are our two resident med guys that I know about. I know them both and they're both AOK.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:28 pm

If your goal is to get training to help you with medical emergencies, then I would suggest a first responder or an EMT class at the MOST.... more than likely first responder.. simply because a EMT license requires a certain amount of continuing education every two years and you must also renew the license every 2 years.. its usually a semester class at a local community college... and you have to do internship time in the ER, and on an ambulance..usually a couple of shifts in each.

Paramedic is usually at least three semesters.. with a much larger commitment as far as time and educational requirements...its more on par with being a physician's assistant or a nurse...and if you're not actively practicing, you lose the skills quickly.

I would suggest taking a first responder course, and get a good first aid kit together. learn CPR, and be a good gatherer of information for EMS when they do show up.

feel free to PM me if you want to get some more specifics about what to get for a first aid kit, and what type of training you should look for more specifically.
Without guns, we'd be british!

Project Appleseed

Post by Project Appleseed » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Didn't even realize that there was a First Responders forum... Mods, please move this there.

Honestly, I've been looking at EMT/Paramedic as a secondary career move. I've been an electrician for going on four years now, and with the economy the way it is, work outlook is bleak, to say the least. (I'm only a Rifle Instructor on a volunteer - no pay - basis, and its typically weekend work)

I've been looking at the various classes here in Tampa, and there are quite a few. Is there anything that I should look out for, classes that I should take that may not be offered, accreditation that aren't worth the paper their printed on, that type of stuff.

Being unemployed, with no good prospects for work, I'm getting itchy. If I can start classes soon, I hope to be employable as an EMT before my unemployment benefits run out.

How portable are the credentials? Say if I get my credentials here in FL, but I move to New Mexico, would I have to retrain, re-test, or just pay a fee? What about in-state, moving from Tampa to Gainesville, or Pensacola?

Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming!

Water Rat
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Water Rat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:13 pm

City and county budgets are in the red all over. I'd take that into consideration looking at EMT/Paramedic.
Quotas are still an issue in many cities.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

the state of florida has 2 levels of certification for EMS, EMT-Basic and Paramedic

EMT basic is more of a basic position, 1st aid, CPR, AED, oxygen, nebulizer treatments for asthma/COPD, epi pens, etc.

Paramedics are the ones that do EKG's, medication administration, IV's, breathing tubes, the whole 9 yards.

EMT-Basic's in florida take the National Registry exam, NREMT.org and you can go to that website and it will show you which states accept national registry at the basic level

Paramedics take the State of FL computer based exam... and you can also go and take the National registry exam at the paramedic level.. i recommend this if you plan on moving out of the state ever... can make things MUCH easier.

Most states have a reciprocity process for out of state certified EMT's and Paramedics.. it usually consists of filling out paperwork, sending a copy of your certification, the state you want to work in will verify your cert with FL, and they usually either just send you a cert from whichever state, or they may require you to retest in their state.

Either way, its pretty easy. the National Registry website will have links to all 50 state EMS offices.

Another user pointed out that governmental budgets are tight right now, which is true, you need to weigh your options carefully.. and the market is FLOODED with new EMT's and paramedics.. but there are usually private agencies always willing to take on a newly certified EMT or medic to get some hands on experience, even if its doing non emergency calls ( like from the hospital going to a nursing home for example) until you can get onto an agency or dept you WANT to work for

Hope this helps.. any of you feel free to PM me if you have other questions you don't want to post in the thread!
Without guns, we'd be british!