Age to buy a handgun.

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:25 pm

My CCWI said the 3 step rule is bullshit, he said officers usually consider it a courtesey but its not required.

bubbatime

Post by bubbatime » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:05 am

;=je ;=je =:wvr =:wvr
Three step rule... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I suggest you read applicable firearms laws in Florida. You will find no such 3 step rule. Thats a wive's tale.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:20 am

Section 790.25(5), which deals specifically with possession in a private conveyance states that "it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012." (Emphasis added.)

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

So, in the glove box, snapped in a holster, in a zippered gun case or closed box that requires the lid to be opened. Yep, that sounds like something that could be construed as steps to me and these are certainly the rules.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:24 am

Gene, I sometimes keep my Beretta in the unlockable console between the front seats. It's loaded, one in the pipe, not in a seperate holster. All I need do is lift the console lid and grab it.

Completely legal. Completely within the law. Only one step involved.

There are many fallacies and old wives tales floating around concerning Florida's firearms laws. Gutmacher makes a concerted effort to explain what is real and what isn't, according to our laws.

I'll accept his explainations until someone better comes along.

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

TnRebel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TnRebel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:45 am

"Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

See the little ;;;;;;;;;; between each sanario, it means each! each one is a seperate action hence, in a glovebox---in a snapped holster---in a gun case--in a zippered gun case---or in a closed box or a container with a lid or cover that you have to lift ......... !
I AM A PROUD DESCENDANT OF A CONFEDERATE SOLDIER

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:15 am

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."
Take an English class (and stay awake during the class!) - it really helps when reading the Florida Statutes. #-o

The little ; marks are meant to be read as "or" - not as "and".

So, in a glove compartment, whether or not locked

OR

in a zippered gun case

OR

in a closed box or containter which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Most definitely NOT "in a glove compartment, AND in a zippered gun case, AND in a closed box...."

It's been my experience during my 35-or-so gun-aware years in Florida that the "3-step rule" is usually spouted off by folks who THINK they know the law, but haven't taken the time and trouble to READ the law and comprehend it. I distinctly remember being about 8 or 10 years old and having my Dad explain the legal wording of the law in question to me after seeing it posted in a gun shop. I understood it then - and I understood that any "3-step rule" was just too ambiguous to be enforced. What are you going to call a "step"? Your definition might be different from mine. And, at what point do you stop counting the "steps" - when the gun is in your hand ready to fire, or when you fire it?

Maybe I was just precocious smarty-pants kid, but I understood the law clearly back then as a kid - why is it that so many adults can't understand it? :-k
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!