I have used my CCW to defend myself what now?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
poloboy821
Life Member
Life Member

I have used my CCW to defend myself what now?

Post by poloboy821 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Ok this is a question for all my brothers and sisters in blue out there. If i have to use my CCW in a defense situation what should i expect? I have wondered this for some time now as i would like to have some expectation as to what will happen if i were to ever have to use my CCW . Granted i do not ever want to have to use it, but we all know we carry for that "in case s';t" scenario. Also if i use my weapon will i ever see it again? Now this scenario is all under the assumption that the weapon was used within the limits of the law for self protection in a life or death situation. Also what should i expect if i use a weapon for home self defense?
Thanks for your responses /:f
Why do people say " Grow Some Balls" ? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina, those things take a pounding! - Betty White
^^my sig was stolen by Erik and then claimed to be his first^^

Erik smells funny!!!!

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: I have used my CCW to defend myself what now?

Post by glockpacker » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:27 pm

He talks very rapidly.

Listen VERY carefully.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rQL4p6iSBA#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:27 am

glockpacker wrote:He talks very rapidly.

Listen VERY carefully.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rQL4p6iSBA#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=D> Very enlightening.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 am

Read this -

phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:00 pm

The biggest thing Im concerned about here in Hillsborough County is the BS involved getting my gun back

Even though it would be a good shoot(IE) I supposedly have to get my lawyer and go before yet another judge to get my s';t back, which means more money out of pocket for an innocent person(wonder how id get those funds back)
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

poloboy821
Life Member
Life Member

Post by poloboy821 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

That article answered a few questions about the law aspect of it, but i am still wondering if i will be treated like some sort of criminal, or if i will be given a chance to explain myself before i am presumed guilty. And like nonconformist stated above me, whats going to happen to my gun???
Why do people say " Grow Some Balls" ? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina, those things take a pounding! - Betty White

Erik smells funny!!!!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:28 pm

poloboy821 wrote:That article answered a few questions about the law aspect of it, but i am still wondering if i will be treated like some sort of criminal, or if i will be given a chance to explain myself before i am presumed guilty. And like nonconformist stated above me, whats going to happen to my gun???
You will be able to explain yourself of cous=rse..I would highly reccomend doing it with your lawyer present though. Your gun will be seized as evidence and you will probably need a court order to get it back.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm

flashooter22 wrote:Your gun will be seized as evidence and you will probably need a court order to get it back.
If the specific situation has been settled and the shooter cleared of any wrong doing, why is a court order required to claim his property?
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:56 pm

mjmensale wrote:
flashooter22 wrote:Your gun will be seized as evidence and you will probably need a court order to get it back.
If the specific situation has been settled and the shooter cleared of any wrong doing, why is a court order required to claim his property?
Because that's the way they choose to do it.... at least in Hillsborough County. The Sheriff's Office claims that it's to protect them from inadvertently releasing evidence that may still be integral to a case that they aren't aware of.

For instance, if someone is arrested for suspcion of DUI and their vehicle is impounded - and there is a legally-carried firearm in the glove box or in the trunk - they will not release the firearm from the evidence locker without a judge's order regardless of the fact that the firearm is not germane to the DUI charge, and regardless of whether the person is eventually cleared of the original charge or not.... just in case the DA drums up additional charges after the person is released from custody.

Even then, they will not return the ammo - it is "donated" to the Sheriff's shooting range and the owner will not be compensated for it. The firearm will be defaced with a nearly-permanent marker when it is logged in to the evidence locker. Additionally, the owner of the firearm will have to shop for a judge to sign the order - not all of them will do so. [smilie=014.gif]
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 pm

mjmensale wrote:
Thats a question I have asked and not really gotten an answer I am satisfied with. Something to do with it being used in a breach of peace-- even if the breach was deemed to be legal. This is one of the reasons I dont carry my personally owned AR any more on duty...If I do ever have to use it it will be a long time before I see it again. My duty Glock is issued now so I would just get a new one.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

poloboy821
Life Member
Life Member

Post by poloboy821 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 pm

so i guess it would be a good idea to make sure you shoot someone with a gun you dont mind losing forever LOL... i guess i may need to shop for another gun then as i love my kahr too much to lose it.. I am already looking for a home defense shotgun so i wont be heart broken over that at least.

Erik smells funny!!!!

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:49 pm

You can always get a new gun. It's hard to replace your or a loved ones life.
Go ahead, carry your Kahr.
SHTF Ready

poloboy821
Life Member
Life Member

Post by poloboy821 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:23 pm

#1Glock30 wrote:You can always get a new gun. It's hard to replace your or a loved ones life.
i do agree with you , and i carry my kahr EVERYWHERE, i never leave home without it!

Erik smells funny!!!!

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

#1Glock30 wrote:You can always get a new gun. It's hard to replace your or a loved ones life.
Ill give you 1/2 credit, you cant always replace a gun immediately, or if you are in bad shape financially from defending yourself etc you may not be able to afford one

Its BS the HCSO is this way, so much for Pro-Gun David Gee, more like I fooled you David Gee
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Oh, and they better compensate for the ammo otherwise its a good case for violation of the 5a

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Big_Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Big_Mike » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Listen VERY carefully.

WOW!!! this should be mandatory viewing.....

Thank you!
Deo Favente Perennis.

dys·gen·ic [ dis jénnik ] - 1.detrimental to future generations: affecting later generations detrimentally by passing on undesirable characteristics

sabrewulf

Post by sabrewulf » Sun May 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Listen VERY carefully.

Very good video, but regardless whether you take the 5th or not, that firearm is definitely going to be confiscated.

griffinshot06

Post by griffinshot06 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:03 am

I guess it's a good thing that most of us carry a small, relatively cheap pistol.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

-Bill of Rights, Amendment II

1933kevin
BANNED

Post by 1933kevin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:45 am

I had a friend in tenn that carried a chrome gun, I think S&W and he stopped a robbery at a convenience store and held the guy at gunpoint. when the police arrived they told him to drop his chrome 2 week old gun to the ground, he asked if he could place it on the ground and the police said to drop it and kick it away or they would shoot. So, dont carry a gun that you wouldnt mind dropping either.

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:26 am

Eh, beauty marks on a gun just tell a story. So does a headstone, so drop the damn gun when told to do so by a LEO. [smilie=011.gif]
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.