I have used my CCW to defend myself what now?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Re: I have used my CCW to defend myself what now?

Post by Mr. Smith » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:11 pm

poloboy821 wrote:If i have to use my CCW in a defense situation what should i expect?
There’s a book: Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership by Jon H. Gutmacher that if you haven’t already read I recommend highly.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/mm5/m ... rship-Book

I’ve read the last several editions of this book and I would consider it necessary reading for anyone in Florida that owns a firearm, and required reading for anyone that carries a firearm.

IMHO of course. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Onree wrote:Eh, beauty marks on a gun just tell a story. So does a headstone, so drop the damn gun when told to do so by a LEO. [smilie=011.gif]

Of course you could just tell them,

“you’ll get my gun when you pry it from my cold dead...”

BANG! BANG bang bang. [smilie=011.gif]

Smith

PS: Don’t most police dept. engrave firearms taken into evidence? Which I don’t understand because firearms, well legal firearms, all have a serial number – so why would a PD need to engrave a firearm? Does it a have something to do with chain of evidence? If so, how?
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

dunndealin

Post by dunndealin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 am

Man I would be pissed off to know that I legally defended myself with a firearm, and some d-bag etched a name or evidence number into my gun... Umm don't all PDs/SO's have evidence bags that can be sealed and signed??? Engraving someones gun seems like bullsh!t to me! I don't care if you write on it with permanent marker, it's still crap!

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:38 am

Every time this question comes up it make me chuckle a little ..... i know there are a bunch of people on this board that feel the same way i do.

Me, If the Police confiscate a firearm that i used to legally defend myself ... I would simply pull another firearm out of the safe to carry until i got it back!

If you EVER find yourself complexed by this question you need to go by another pistol _:

imho
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

mikecu
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mikecu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 am

Big_Mike wrote:
glockpacker wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rQL4p6iSBA#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WOW!!! this should be mandatory viewing.....

Thank you!
Here is the 2nd part of this lecture:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9458915912

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:13 pm

mikecu wrote:Here is the 2nd part of this lecture:

BTW, both of these videos are in our INFORMATION RESOURCES forum. You know, the forum no one bothers to look in. =:wvr
why-you-should-never-talk-the-police-t77330.html
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

Big_Mike
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Big_Mike » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 am

mjmensale wrote:

BTW, both of these videos are in our INFORMATION RESOURCES forum. You know, the forum no one bothers to look in. =:wvr
[smilie=011.gif]

[smilie=cheers1.gif]
Deo Favente Perennis.

dys·gen·ic [ dis jénnik ] - 1.detrimental to future generations: affecting later generations detrimentally by passing on undesirable characteristics

yeros68

Post by yeros68 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:22 pm

This BS and hastle to get a gun back is just another example of law abiding citizens and GGs being harrassed by the anti gun bureaucracy. Hope it never happens to any of you or me.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:49 pm

Mr. Smith wrote:
Onree wrote:Eh, beauty marks on a gun just tell a story. So does a headstone, so drop the damn gun when told to do so by a LEO. [smilie=011.gif]

Smith

[b]PS: Don’t most police dept. engrave firearms taken into evidence? Which I don’t understand because firearms, well legal firearms, all have a serial number – so why would a PD need to engrave a firearm? Does it a have something to do with chain of evidence? If so, how?
[/b]
I saw this quite often years ago, but not so much in recent years. It had to do with testimony in court. Even though the serial number was present, your badge # or initials were scratched into a grip so you could testify that it was you and not someone else who took the gun into evidence. Defense attorney's would try to confuse juries as to who took the gun and who had no part of the incident in an attempt to get their clients a not guilty verdict.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

Tact.Medic

Post by Tact.Medic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:09 am

IDPAMASTER wrote:
glockpacker wrote:He talks very rapidly.

Listen VERY carefully.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rQL4p6iSBA#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
=D> Very enlightening.

wow! /:f

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm

On a slightly different subject: friend of mine's firearms were stolen 2 years ago. They were recovered a short time afterward by Palm Springs PD. To this day, the PSPD refuses to return them to him. Court cases against the perps have been finished quite some time ago, 2 of the 3 are already back on the streets. He is going to get a court order for the return. Why the reluctance to return his rightful property?

Detachment Charlie

Post by Detachment Charlie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:35 pm

I have a criminal defense attorney, his card sits directly behind my CCP. He is also a friend & neighbor. He insisted I meet him at his office for an initial, though no cost, meeting. This just keeps it serious and professional.
State your name, you were in immediate fear for your life, then shut the F* up. Say NOTHING, until he's there. Then I still say NOTHING, he will do all the talking.
Messing up the finish on a gun or having a delay in getting a gun back are so far down in the noise, I can't find them. When you are looking at 8 - 10 YEARS in the FLA Penn., and the cost of a good attorney to keep your butt out of prison -- Figure $10K at least, the cost of a few few scratches on your safe queen gun fades into the insignificant category really, really fast.
Just shut the F-up, sit down and color -- Just like Kindergarten -- seriously, just shut-up, sit down and color.
The Cop ain't your friend. He's not there to prove you innocent. He's there to provide a suspect to the prosecutor. That's his job. He's not a bastard, he's just doing his job. You do yours, and shut the F-up, wait (however long) for your defense attorney to show up. The you still shut-the F up and allow the attorney to do the talking.
Really simple...Sit-down, shut-up and color!
Hey, it's your life, not mine. :ber
I am old. I am retired. I am a combat veteran. I am grouchy. I am intolerant, and I am judgemental. I am also alive. Thank you. I am off to the range.

The United Nations is a criminal organization.

CPTK
BANNED

Post by CPTK » Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 pm

As I tell others that ask me ...
Shut your mouth and ask to call your lawyer in a respectful way. Anything you say after that can only get you in trouble. The only word from your mount should be "I would please like to call my lawyer."

thorazine
Life Member
Life Member

Post by thorazine » Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Pizzim wrote:Me, If the Police confiscate a firearm that i used to legally defend myself ... I would simply pull another firearm out of the safe to carry until i got it back!
Hmmm...

So the police would not try to get a warrant to go through your home?

If you were involved in a shooting outside your home?

How about if you were involved in a shooting inside your home and your safe is in plain sight?

I wonder if they would try to obtain a warrant to open it up?

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by draggindakota » Tue May 08, 2012 3:32 pm

mjmensale wrote:

Very informative video! But wow, that prof needs to lay off the caffeine!
Why would you want to give away any of your rights or freedoms? Just because one jack wagon doesn't have an elevator worth Andre 3000 doesn't mean that I should have my privileges taken away.

Toorop

Post by Toorop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 am

glockpacker wrote:He talks very rapidly.

Listen VERY carefully.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 am

seems the owner of the vidio has restricted it and it wont play ?? :-k
Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am

Sweep wrote:seems the owner of the vidio has restricted it and it wont play ?? :-k
Both videos (part 1 & 2) are in the Information Resources forum and they both work!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=77330
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh