Pros and Cons of being an EMT/Paramedic

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Pros and Cons of being an EMT/Paramedic

Post by Gregh181 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Saintnick001 wrote:Um, ok. Well this isn't helping anymore. I do appreciate all the advise given so far though. I can tell that you guys take your work personally. I'll say this:
The firefighting side doesn't interest me much. No offense to the them, I just think I'm getting a little old for that. Maybe when I was 20 but that was 10 years ago. I'm also now fully aware that I'll be making crap for money until I become a Paramedic or Firemedic. It sounds like I already make more than a 1st year medic too so this somthing I'll have to think about. Wish I could just start as a flightnurse.
Based on the advise given here and through PM's I will attend EMT-B classes at the community college. It's only gonna cost about $1k and I'm going to see if I can't get the man to pay for it. Figure this will give me a good idea weather or not I really want to do this. That or some good first aid learning.
If I'm reading right, if your thinking about getting the VA to pay for school, be aware that EMT school is only 3 months long and it will 3 or more months now for your VA claim to get processed. That means you won't get a dime for school until after its over.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Saintnick001

Post by Saintnick001 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Gregh181 wrote:If I'm reading right, if your thinking about getting the VA to pay for school, be aware that EMT school is only 3 months long and it will 3 or more months now for your VA claim to get processed. That means you won't get a dime for school until after its over.
[smilie=011.gif] No, I mean like "da man". Grants and Obama money to get me some learnin'. I could actually pay for it if need be. Just figured I'd try to get some free money that I wasn't able to when I went to college the first time.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 pm

O, in that case you'll probably be good.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Well good luck with EMT school and if you need some advice.. or help studying or anything... drop me a PM.. im much nicer in person.. especially without hose monkeys tryin to start crap with me.
Without guns, we'd be british!

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:04 am

actually you are the one who started with the name calling.. again Get your facts straight..
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01
"You show your enemies your Glock. You show your friends your 1911."

Saintnick001

Post by Saintnick001 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:18 am

FLEMTP wrote:Well good luck with EMT school and if you need some advice.. or help studying or anything... drop me a PM.. im much nicer in person.. especially without hose monkeys tryin to start crap with me.
Thanks. I might just take you up on that.
I can tell that all of you are passionate about your jobs and have VERY strong opinions about them. That's exactly what I'm looking for in a carreer.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 am

IraG2362 wrote:actually you are the one who started with the name calling.. again Get your facts straight..

well if you read the title of the thread.. it says pros and cons of being an EMT/Paramedic.. not pros/cons of a wanna be paramedic that rides on a fire engine so maybe you should just go away and leave this thread to the real medics

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 am

IraG2362 wrote:actually you are the one who started with the name calling.. again Get your facts straight..

Just for you =:bye

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am

again, you show the maturity level of a 4 year old. I have been a EMT since 1996 both in FL and NY and I answered the OP with that background , I also work in extremly busy ER here in Broward. so take your paraMEDICK attitude and stick it. The only reason your so sour is that your a jealous petty little boy who would not make it in ANY fire academy .. Grow up.. before you realise it your job too will be part of a Fire dept and you will either sink or swim.. more likly sink as your too much of a whiner to become a Firefighter. Probably scared of the dark too.. or just scared of actually doing some real work where you may have to sweat or get your hands dirty..
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:20 pm

FLEMTP wrote:You're right, i did not go to the fire academy.. I have NO desire to be a hose monkey. Instead i went to the POLICE academy!
What happened with that? Not usual to see a crossover from wannabe cop to medic/FF. Now I HAVE seen them become electricians, Target security, and FSN posters...

[smilie=011.gif]
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 pm

wakkoss wrote:
FLEMTP wrote:You're right, i did not go to the fire academy.. I have NO desire to be a hose monkey. Instead i went to the POLICE academy!
What happened with that? Not usual to see a crossover from wannabe cop to medic/FF. Now I HAVE seen them become electricians, Target security, and FSN posters...

[smilie=011.gif]

Nah.. i was a LEO... made more money as a medic... i couldnt live off of 11 bucks an hour. I wouldnt mind getting back into it again.. and we are looking at a Tactical EMS program that would cross train medics as LEO's for swat team purposes.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 pm

IraG2362 wrote:again, you show the maturity level of a 4 year old. I have been a EMT since 1996 both in FL and NY and I answered the OP with that background , I also work in extremly busy ER here in Broward. so take your paraMEDICK attitude and stick it. The only reason your so sour is that your a jealous petty little boy who would not make it in ANY fire academy .. Grow up.. before you realise it your job too will be part of a Fire dept and you will either sink or swim.. more likly sink as your too much of a whiner to become a Firefighter. Probably scared of the dark too.. or just scared of actually doing some real work where you may have to sweat or get your hands dirty..
Sorry to disappoint but we work harder than the FD guys will ever work. Im sure you love goin on about how I'll never cut it in a fire dept... you're right.. I think for myself.. I dont need some half wit retard with a goofy looking moustache telling me what to do and how to do it. Quit your cryin and realize that EMS and Fire dont belong together... and you'll be much happier. Our dept will never be taken over... not in this county. We have too much pride in our jobs, and realize that the fire medics here cant hold a candle to us. Hell half of them cant even lace up their boots.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 pm

I know how we can settle this, scalpels at 10 paces [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 pm

there wont be any settling this because i am dealing with a bandaid boy who is half a man..doesnt like to get dirty and is too blind to see his future of consolidation.. As the west coast catches up with the east coast in population and need and budget shortfalls .. the time of the stand alones in Florida will come to an end as they are slowly through out the state ..they will go the way of Public safety.. i am done with this half man tard and his whining and deep down desire to be a firefighter..he wants it so bad and cant be one he has to trash the thing he actually wants.. done..
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 pm

11 bucks an hour? Where did you work where they paid you that low? How long were you a cop for?
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

IraG2362
BANNED

Post by IraG2362 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:28 pm

in other words he worked for Wackenhut.. never a Cop, just a wanna be firefighter ..
Ira G
FTM PTB EGH
Never Forget 9/11/01

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 am

wakkoss wrote:11 bucks an hour? Where did you work where they paid you that low? How long were you a cop for?

Michigan, small township dept, about 14 officers total including command staff, and low salaries are common in MI... hell detroit PD starting salary is 30k a year.. the township i grew up in pays 10.50 an hour.. there is not good money in law enforcement in MI. I was a cop just shy of 2 years. I received my paramedic license, and immediately got a 2 dollar an hour raise and all the overtime I could handle. At the time money outweighed any desire I had to continue in law enforcement. I still have a desire to work in law enforcement..and I have been looking into the pursuit of that goal, either part time or full time. Im still fairly young in the grand scheme of things, so I have plenty of time to decide where I'd like to go and what I'd like to do.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:59 am

Bah, that's not a cop...you gotta work for Riviera Beach PD or Lauderhill! THAT'S a cop! [smilie=011.gif]

Not that I'd want to be a cop at either of those places...

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 am

IraG2362 wrote:there wont be any settling this because i am dealing with a bandaid boy who is half a man..doesnt like to get dirty and is too blind to see his future of consolidation.. As the west coast catches up with the east coast in population and need and budget shortfalls .. the time of the stand alones in Florida will come to an end as they are slowly through out the state ..they will go the way of Public safety.. i am done with this half man tard and his whining and deep down desire to be a firefighter..he wants it so bad and cant be one he has to trash the thing he actually wants.. done..
IraG2362 wrote: in other words he worked for Wackenhut.. never a Cop, just a wanna be firefighter ..

Ive never understood why every firefighter has this belief that everyone in EMS wants to be a firefighter. As I said before, fire medics are very rarely skilled enough at both jobs to be good at either. You can be a great medic, or a great firefighter, but not both. Our dept brings in 35-40 million dollars a year for the county's general fund, we are an efficient department, with little overhead, great response times, and motivated employees.

Contrast that with the 19 different fire depts in our county.. 19 administrations, 19 chiefs, 19 different taxing districts. The fire department doesn't generate a dime of revenue, and despite the decreasing number of fires in our county, continue to ask for more personnel, more moeny, and more equipment that they will never use. They are a money pit. Lately the taxpayers and commissioners have gotten wise to this scam, and have began to make the appropriate cutbacks, so, as most fire departments try and do, they now try and edge in on EMS response. 95% of the time, they show up, usually at the same time we do, or after we do (because they are inefficient in their staffing, and planning and response) and stand around demanding we let them start IV's, and push medications half of the fire fighters cant pronounce, let alone know how to use. They think they can do our jobs better than us, and its been proven over and over that they cannot. Fortunately, the county commissioners agree with us, and will continue to do so.

So explain to me, why in gods name would *I* want to become a member of a dying profession? You can smell the desperation on the breath of the fire administrations. We work twice as hard as the fire departments here, yet you insist you work harder.

Explain to me how is it you work harder when I run anywhere from 8-20 911 calls in a shift, and transport 8-20 patients in a shift, routinely getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night at work, yet the fire personnel in a typical station run half as many calls, and sleep most of the night?

Training you say? sure, you have to train constantly.. because you're trying to improve on skills that you never get to use anymore.. not to mention you want to look busy so no one realizes you dont really do any real work... there are very few fires, and you can train all you want in medicine, but I'll be the first to tell you, medicine is very different when you're dealing with real people and not plastic simulators. We dont have time for training on duty, we are busy doing the job, and doing it better than you. Instead we put countless hours OFF DUTY into ongoing education and training, and yet again, we do it better.

When is the last time you asked a firefighter to come in on his day off and train? Not without the fire unions DEMANDING overtime pay for it, once again sucking more money out of the taxpayers. And dont tell me you are not involved in the fire unions, because if you worked on the east coast, you were and are. Unions are one of the main driving political forces behind the fire depts in south florida, anyone in the business knows that so dont try and lie to people here.

So, i hate to disappoint you, but I have absolutely zero desire to be a member of a dying profession, that demands money from the taxpayers using smoke and mirrors. I have to desire to be part of a profession that tries to use EMS as an excuse to justify their jobs, while putting medics on the streets who's skill in medicine is lacking because you need to learn how to roll hose more than how to appropriately hang a tridal drip, or how to give cardizem in an appropriate manner so you dont cause hypotension and bradycardia. EMS should never be used as a justification for money or jobs.. its meant to provide emergency medical care and transportation and to save lives.

Now, on the flip side, I will say this: we do need fire fighters.. but we need them to fight fires on the rare occassion they actually happen. Im sure you get more fires on the east coast, and thats fine. Nothing wrong with admitting you're good at firefighting, or even great at it, and fall short in emergency medicine. Be a great firefighter, and take pride in that. Leave the medicine to the people that take great pride in what they do, and know how to do it well, the paramedics, and the Emergency Medical Services.

Now, I am truly sorry this had to be brought out into a public forum such as this, and Im sorry you have a chip on your shoulder towards paramedics being just that, paramedics, but I think you highlight the points Ive mentioned here with your rantings. Now, I am done with this thread, other than to offer assistance to the original poster.

SaintNick001, good luck in your quest to become a paramedic, just remember to be the best you can be, and dont take your eyes off the target. I am here to offer and help you may need with school, or even after you finish school. EMS is a fun but challenging profession that can be very rewarding at times, and very thankless at others. I hope you enjoy it, and remember, dont let yourself get jaded by the people you deal with. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

IraG2362, I also wanted to say, I have nothing personal against you, Ive never met you, and never talked to you before. I wouldnt mind joining you on the range sometime, or having a beer with you. Im sure you're a good guy, and I thank you for your years of service to the public.
Remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and you certainly are entitled to yours, and I am entitled to mine, so please dont take anything I say personally.
Last edited by FLEMTP on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:03 am

wakkoss wrote:Bah, that's not a cop...you gotta work for Riviera Beach PD or Lauderhill! THAT'S a cop! [smilie=011.gif]

Not that I'd want to be a cop at either of those places...

Hey, the job is the job, no matter where you do it. Its just a matter of what you see and deal with. I'm not too picky about where I would work as a LEO again, as long as the people are professional! Every area has its challenges and perks, whether its the streets of LA or Detroit or Miami, or the streets of Mayberry!