Thinking of going State....

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
FL_Cowboy

Thinking of going State....

Post by FL_Cowboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:49 am

Native South Floridian, been a LEO for three years now. I work for a medium size PD in South Florida. Just tired of the south end of the state. Tired of the traffic, people, jerks, etc.... Would like to live in a place where I can hunt, fish, and shoot without a problem. Thinking of either going FHP or FWC. Pay ain't great but the chance of being able to move anywhere in the state catches my interests. I'm single, I have no kids, still even hunting for a house. Got some cash saved up so even that's not a problem.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

DDMatthews

Re: Thinking of going State....

Post by DDMatthews » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 pm

go for it come up here to north FLA. were really just a suburb of AL. wide open space and a simple life
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. Genesis 27:3

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:13 pm

This is just slightly off-topic but I read that the FWC is, and I’m quoting, “the most powerful LE agency in the state, they can enter private property at will, without a warrant.”

To be more on-topic, my father-in-law is a man I have a lot of respect for; he was both a State Trooper and a Wildlife Officer in northern state (not here in Florida). He was a State trooper way back when my wife was just a little girl but said he didn’t like it. I got the feeling that he thought of the wildlife side of law enforcement was somehow friendlier. There’s also room for advancement, which surprised me, in his case he eventually became a wildlife management biologist. The benefits were great, like most government jobs - and a lot better than what’s offered in the private sector.

Like a lot of areas of our lives, you could ask yourself where you’ll be in twenty years if you continue doing the same thing? What kind of job are the guys that have been a FHP officer for the last twenty years doing? Is that something that you’d enjoy? Look at what the people that have been Wildlife officers for twenty years – what are they doing? Would you like to be doing that? I can tell you just from the sound of your post that you may find being a wildlife officer more rewarding. But if FL is anything like it is up north, be prepared because that field is very competitive. My father-in-law was shocked the first time they advertized a opening position that paid just a bit more than minimum wage and they had thirty or forty applicants, most with a bachelors degree, and some had masters degrees that directly related to Wildlife Management!

You're a wise person for thinking about these things now, before you have a spouse, kids, mortgage, etc.

Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:40 pm

FWC doesn't get paid crap, and FHP will send you where they want you to go and pay you once a month for your trouble. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_12.gif]
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

bonjorno2
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bonjorno2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:16 pm

fhp will send you to key west prob if that's far enough south for you!
Focus on your front sight... the rest should be blurry!

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Mr. Smith wrote:This is just slightly off-topic but I read that the FWC is, and I’m quoting, “the most powerful LE agency in the state, they can enter private property at will, without a warrant.”
Law enforcement is law enforcement. I'd like to see a source for that.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Is in the "Patriot Act"...... [smilie=033.gif] [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=popcorn.gif]
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 am

Yes...FWC can go on anyone's property without a warrant. They just have to say they're looking for FWC violations...poached game, fish out of season, etc...
Other law enforcement divisions will sometimes use an FWC officer to go look for things for them. Not supposed to, but they do.

They can search anywhere on your boat also that a fish or baitfish could be hidden...without a warrant or probable cause.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:29 pm

kmagnuss wrote:Yes...FWC can go on anyone's property without a warrant. They just have to say they're looking for FWC violations...poached game, fish out of season, etc...
Going on my property is not the same as entering my house, which was implied. At least that's how I read it.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Exactly. On property but not in house.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 pm

FHP has a VERY hard time keeping personnel. That is because the pay stucture is almost stagnant. A 15yr verteran doesn't make that much more than a 3yr newbie. They tend to have lots of troopers with less than 10 years and then they jump ship to some of the city/county jurisdictions where they get more money. (this was on the news about a year or so ago).

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Moe,

I have racked my computer trying to find that quote! It was in some news article. I can’t believe that I failed to add a link to the quote I used. ](*,)

Too much to do in too little time. That’s what I get for multitasking. As I get older I find that I can hardly chew gum and type anymore. :ham'r

Smith

I tried going through all of my history files and then Googling every phrase I could think of and this (see below) is about the only thing I could find.

I don’t know the legitimacy of “General Orders.” Maybe FSN could issue a “General Order” that fully automatic weapons are now legal in all 50 states without a tax stamp!
[-o<

FLORIDA FISH AND WILDLIFE
CONSERVATION COMMISSION
DIVISION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
GENERAL ORDERS
COLONEL JULIE JONES

General order 17

3 PROCEDURES

D Warrantless Searches

(5) Exigent Circumstances Search
(a) Sworn members, with probable cause, may search a person or a person’s property,
including a vehicle or vessel, if conditions are such that time spent obtaining a search
warrant could allow the destruction of evidence, the escape of a criminal, or
endangerment to the public.

http://myfwc.com/docs/RulesRegulations/ ... rder17.pdf
or
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... GbtzsxJRmQ
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).