Hypotheticly speaking, which would get you into more trouble

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Hypotheticly speaking, which would get you into more trouble

Post by Onree » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am

Easy solution. Have a buddy follow (tailgating to help hide the lack of a tag) him to the final destination. If the buddy get pulled over for tailgating, don't stop! =:bye

Hope your post doesn't get Moe'd for a rules violation. Hypothetically speaking. [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=011.gif]
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

GLoCKeYeD
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GLoCKeYeD » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 am

more trouble = wrong plate
wrong plate is trying to be deceitful.
The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 am

wrong plate = much lower risk of being caught
Go Trump!

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:04 am

You're going to prison!!!!

=:bye
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 am

IMHO:

no plate = a high likelihood of being pulled over.

wrong plate = IF CAUGHT and IF THEY DECIDE TO PRESS THE ISSUE, is a more serious infraction. It becomes VERY serious and VERY LIKELY that they will press the issue if you have the wrong plate on an automobile. Guess how I know? :ham'r

However - to be CAUGHT, they first have a reason to pull him over, then they have to run the tag, then they have to decipher if the tag was issued to that trailer or to a different one...... =:wvr

I have two trailers that are registered/tagged as "home-built" (modded/welded/rebuilt several times by amateur & professional welders). Until a couple of years ago, they had shared the same tag for over a decade. [smilie=033.gif] The only time I ever got pulled over was when I was towing one of them after dark with no lights hooked up - now THAT will get you pulled over for sure! ](*,)

eta - every WalMart sells flashlights in their camping section. Two $10 head-lamps with the red LED lights for night-vision and a couple of tie-wraps can quickly be turned into running lights for your trailer that will get you through the Inspection Station on US 19 in Fanning Springs. Guess how I know? :-k [smilie=011.gif]
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LurkMastR » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:47 am

If the shortest route goes right by the PD building, why not take a more "scenic" route and avoid driving past the PD?

Of course you can then argue and speculate that the longer route means more time on the road which means more opportunity to be seen and pulled over... :-k

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:22 pm

If you take the tag off of one trailer and place it on the other trailer, the chance of getting caught is so remote as to be almost not worth considering. Look at the registration on the trailer that is registered. See how hard it is to actually figure out how to identify that specific trailer based on reading the registration. It is going to be just as hard for the cop to figure out that a particular valid trailer tag is sitting on the wrong trailer.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 pm

What DOyle said is true.....

You (I mean your :friend:) can potentially face the following...trailer with wrong tag is potentially two misdemeanors or a traffic infraction and a misdemeanor. The obvious one is having an unregistered vehicle on the roadway which is a misdemeanor. The second misdemeanor is attaching tag not assigned. Technically, courts have ruled that the officer actually has to see the violater attaching the tag to charge them, but it still gets written. The third is improper display of tag, which is basically not having the proper tag displayed on the trailer.

truthfully when you run tags it usually just says trailer, and unless something happens that you get pulled over , and the officer checks VINS, you will probably be fine.....Hypothetically speaking of course [smilie=033.gif]
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Davegot2P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Davegot2P » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Does Florida have a "Temp Use" tag?

Some states have a Temporary Usage Type tag, for this exact purpose. Years ago I used them in Oregon. If I remember it was something like $10.00 for a 10 day period.
Happiness is a warm beltfed, even if it is only 1/2 scale.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:36 pm

I can't tell you how many trailers I see on a daily basis, without plates

I used a small trailer to move from So Fla to Citrus Co one way trip with out a plate, but we were in a caravan and moved late evening into the night
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

KG4ZRC

Post by KG4ZRC » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 pm

I have trailers I have never plated... And we use them constantly.

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:52 pm

I got pulled once for using my old trailer which was not registered and had not plate.

Cop: "You know you why I pulled you over?"

Me: "Because the trailers not tagged?"

Cop: "No, I could care less about that. Your brake lights arent working. See if you can fix them." (It was at night)

Me: (Fixes lights)

Cop: "Ok, have a good evening."

[smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

gaterloco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by gaterloco » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:36 pm

molivo wrote:I got pulled once for using my old trailer which was not registered and had not plate.

Cop: "You know you why I pulled you over?"

Me: "Because the trailers not tagged?"

Cop: "No, I could care less about that. Your brake lights arent working. See if you can fix them." (It was at night)

Me: (Fixes lights)

Cop: "Ok, have a good evening."

[smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
Cool story. Sounds like the Deputies here in Seminole County.
The situation is probably not going to get better, but people learn to live with what they must. A good man can face up to almost anything as long as he is adequately armed. Col. Jeff Cooper