Lakeland commissioner fatally shoots man in Army-Navy store that he owns

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
zeebaron
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Location: Pinellas

Re: Lakeland commissioner fatally shoots man in Army-Navy store that he owns

Post by zeebaron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Skoll wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm
FL law expressly states you cannot use lethal force to defend property alone and the store owner was at zero point in fear for his life or threatened. This was 110% a bad shoot.
Did this at any time become an armed robbery? That's what a good defense lawyer would argue.

User avatar
Skoll
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: West Palm

Post by Skoll » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:24 pm

zeebaron wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm
Skoll wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm
FL law expressly states you cannot use lethal force to defend property alone and the store owner was at zero point in fear for his life or threatened. This was 110% a bad shoot.
Did this at any time become an armed robbery? That's what a good defense lawyer would argue.
Far as I know, no. If you watch the video, the thief was never in any way threatening. He was simply trying to escape.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

zeebaron
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Location: Pinellas

Post by zeebaron » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:32 am

Skoll wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:24 pm
zeebaron wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm
Skoll wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm
FL law expressly states you cannot use lethal force to defend property alone and the store owner was at zero point in fear for his life or threatened. This was 110% a bad shoot.
Did this at any time become an armed robbery? That's what a good defense lawyer would argue.
Far as I know, no. If you watch the video, the thief was never in any way threatening. He was simply trying to escape.
I didn't know there was a video posted. You're right. Best this guy can hope for is a good plea deal.

User avatar
Villafuego
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 pm
Location: Land O' Lakes

Post by Villafuego » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Greg wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm
If if I’m on his jury he’s a free man. Steal and deal w the consequences
Death penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting?

I guess there are some places where you would fit right in on a jury though
Image

User avatar
Skoll
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: West Palm

Post by Skoll » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Villafuego wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:08 pm
Greg wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm
If if I’m on his jury he’s a free man. Steal and deal w the consequences
Death penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting?

I guess there are some places where you would fit right in on a jury though
Image
Kinda like all those guys who think military service should be mandatory. They don't get the fucking point.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

jaytwillerham
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:02 pm

Post by jaytwillerham » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:55 pm

My 2 cents:
I hate thieves, too.
But shooting a guy over an inexpensive tool is a bit much.
Especially when the thieve's father is right there paying for other stuff anyway.
Just add the price of the hatchet to the father's bill.
Dad probably wouldn't complain, no doubt having plenty of previous experience with his wayward son.

TC6969
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 pm
Location: Wimauma

Post by TC6969 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Greg wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm
If if I’m on his jury he’s a free man. Steal and deal w the consequences
For a hatchet though, wouldn't you just cut his hand off?

I know they do that in Iraq over a stolen loaf of bread but does a hatchet enhance the theft charge to the death penalty?

Greg
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:19 pm
Location: Clermont

Post by Greg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm

TC6969 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:44 pm
Greg wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm
If if I’m on his jury he’s a free man. Steal and deal w the consequences
For a hatchet though, wouldn't you just cut his hand off?

I know they do that in Iraq over a stolen loaf of bread but does a hatchet enhance the theft charge to the death penalty?
Just saw this. And rethinking this you’re right, I can’t argue against logic. It’s just a hatchet
1st Battalion/5th Marines 0331 Machine Gunner

Iraq Combat Vet 2003-2007

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009

Post Reply