Lakeland commissioner fatally shoots man in Army-Navy store that he owns

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Skoll wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm FL law expressly states you cannot use lethal force to defend property alone and the store owner was at zero point in fear for his life or threatened. This was 110% a bad shoot.
Did this at any time become an armed robbery? That's what a good defense lawyer would argue.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm
Skoll wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm FL law expressly states you cannot use lethal force to defend property alone and the store owner was at zero point in fear for his life or threatened. This was 110% a bad shoot.
Did this at any time become an armed robbery? That's what a good defense lawyer would argue.
Far as I know, no. If you watch the video, the thief was never in any way threatening. He was simply trying to escape.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Skoll wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:24 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm
Far as I know, no. If you watch the video, the thief was never in any way threatening. He was simply trying to escape.
I didn't know there was a video posted. You're right. Best this guy can hope for is a good plea deal.
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

Greg wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm If if I’m on his jury he’s a free man. Steal and deal w the consequences
Death penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting?

I guess there are some places where you would fit right in on a jury though
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Villafuego wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:08 pm
Greg wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:00 pm If if I’m on his jury he’s a free man. Steal and deal w the consequences
Death penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting?

I guess there are some places where you would fit right in on a jury though
Kinda like all those guys who think military service should be mandatory. They don't get the fucking point.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

My 2 cents:
I hate thieves, too.
But shooting a guy over an inexpensive tool is a bit much.
Especially when the thieve's father is right there paying for other stuff anyway.
Just add the price of the hatchet to the father's bill.
Dad probably wouldn't complain, no doubt having plenty of previous experience with his wayward son.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

For a hatchet though, wouldn't you just cut his hand off?

I know they do that in Iraq over a stolen loaf of bread but does a hatchet enhance the theft charge to the death penalty?
Greg

Post by Greg »

TC6969 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:44 pm
For a hatchet though, wouldn't you just cut his hand off?

I know they do that in Iraq over a stolen loaf of bread but does a hatchet enhance the theft charge to the death penalty?
Just saw this. And rethinking this you’re right, I can’t argue against logic. It’s just a hatchet
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I get the guy is stealing but this was a bad shoot over something so simple as a 10.00 Hatchet maybe more I have been in that store a few times they are not customer friendly and gun prices are MSRP +...
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.