How would a guy go about being an undercover cop?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

How would a guy go about being an undercover cop?

Post by glockpacker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 pm

We have here an honest man with no criminal record. His work experience involved training (including pistol handling and training) and supervision of security guards. He wants to transition into LE.

Now take a look at the guy. You'd probably cross over to the other side of the street if you saw him walking toward you. He knows his look, and knows it would work to his advantage in undercover work.

He is a dark Jamaican, though he has white features. His hair isn't what I call dreadlocks, but it's in a dozen or so braids that hang to his waist. His English is proper, though he has a slight "island" accent. He's here legally, and has his green card.

He's been the "property management" guy for our condo building for about a year now. He's always at work, he's trusted, and he's extremely helpful and friendly to everybody.

He tried looking into taking LE courses, but what he found was too expensive for him.

I think he would make a really cool undercover cop. Any words of wisdom?
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

j-easy

Re: How would a guy go about being an undercover cop?

Post by j-easy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:23 pm

I think the undercover guys all started out like everyone else in LE, police academy then on patrol for a while as street cop, then move up from there.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:33 pm

he could get in the OTHER way, sell some drugs and get caught, then offer to be a CI Confidential Informant....but his record would not look so good #-o ......unless he becomes a LEO, which would mean no more spider on his head for starters, the closest thing would be a PI and learn to play cop.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Another way to go is to be a PI... Check with private investigator companies in your area and ask... The State regulates the industry so there are the Classes to take and Licenses to get, but it might be what he's looking for with out the Academy...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

j-easy wrote:I think the undercover guys all started out like everyone else in LE, police academy then on patrol for a while as street cop, then move up from there.
Yep...he needs to go through the academy, become certified, get hired on, gain experience and then look into doing UC work. That nice braided hair would be long gone before then. He may try to get a sponsership through the academy, though with budget cuts the way they are sponsership is pretty hard to get these days.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:48 am

flashooter22 wrote:
j-easy wrote:I think the undercover guys all started out like everyone else in LE, police academy then on patrol for a while as street cop, then move up from there.
Yep...he needs to go through the academy, become certified, get hired on, gain experience and then look into doing UC work. That nice braided hair would be long gone before then. He may try to get a sponsership through the academy, though with budget cuts the way they are sponsership is pretty hard to get these days.

+1. That look would have to change for a few years to "clean cut". The only way to be plain clothes is to put your dues in like everyone else. Politics sometimes helps speed the process but there is still a minimum time requirement (2 or 3 years min) you must be on patrol before you get to wear street clothes.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -- Sigmund Freud

dolfan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dolfan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:24 pm

glockpacker wrote: He's here legally, and has his green card.
I think his first step is to become a US citizen.

Most, (if not all) depts. require officers to be citizens.

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:28 am

dolfan wrote:

Good catch Dolfan. This is true.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -- Sigmund Freud

Mushinto

Post by Mushinto » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 am

dolfan wrote:

It is an FDLE requirement that any officer must be a U.S. citizen.
ML

12gagunman

Post by 12gagunman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:42 pm

As a former undercover cop, I can tell you that most agencies in my area require that you do at least two years on the road as a street cop before transferring to a specialty unit. You have to learn how to be a cop before you can consider moving to UC work. I have heard that some larger agencies take new recruits fresh out of the academy and put them into UC roles. While I see the benefits of a fresh face, I've never fully trusted the wisdom of doing this. UC work is stressful, dangerous and requires a significant attention to detail. You also have to be able to write good reports, have a better than average memory and be able to think on your feet. You learn these skills on patrol.

I've seen more then one new recruit today who feels that patrol "is not for them" and that's fresh out of the academy. Some seem to feel that they should be moved to a UC unit right out of FTO. It's great to aspire to drug/UC work but you have to build a foundation of good solid police work. You have to know the laws, what you can and can't do. Where the gray area is and how to work within it without violating someones rights or entrapping them.

So, my suggestion for the OP is to go to the police academy, get hired at an agency that has a UC drug unit. Do well in FTO, learn all you can, make drug arrests and forward information to the drug unit. Get your name known and show an interest. Put your time in an when an opening comes up, put in for it.

Other then that, there is the whole Confidential Source (CS) route. The policies for CS use vary widely from one jurisdiction to another with some being more restrictive then others. My suggestion there is to contact a local agencies narc unit and talk with one of the detectives. They can tell you how their agency works and what the requirements are and what you (as a CS) are allowed to do and not allowed to do. I wager that one of the first things you'll hear is "you're not a cop and you can't carry a gun" so, if you're simply a wannabe cop, chances are good that the detective will pick up on it. Wanna be cop informants are dangerous and frequently hard to control (ie more trouble then they're worth).

Everybody wants to work dope but nobody wants to pay the dues these days.

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:38 am

And, you must have cool taste in clothes and cars

Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum