ANY DEPTS ALLOW REVOLVERS AS "DUTY GUNS"

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
DoralJoe
Executive Member
Executive Member

ANY DEPTS ALLOW REVOLVERS AS "DUTY GUNS"

Post by DoralJoe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 am

H guys, I know that some big police depts still allow their veteran cops -specially detectives- to carry revolvers because he were (grandfathered in)
do U guys know if any national LEO agency have revolvers on their (approved) list?
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM!!!!
-Joe

Matt
Life Member
Life Member

Re: ANY DEPTS ALLOW REVOLVERS AS "DUTY GUNS"

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:59 pm

US Park Police use revolvers. Saw 'em in Philadelphia.

bonjorno2
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bonjorno2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:21 pm

if you want to carry a revolver, use it as a back up, or become a security guard! [smilie=011.gif]
Focus on your front sight... the rest should be blurry!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:42 pm

They were grandfathered in until last year when the department went to issued only guns over here.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 pm

I thought I saw a Broward SO dep. carrying one a few years ago, I asked him about it, I guess maybe he didn't qualify and they made him go back to the revolver ???
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Captain38

Post by Captain38 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:20 pm

The NYPD Patrol Guide section number 204-09 states that Lieutenants, sergeants, and police officers performing patrol duty in uniform must carry either the authorized regulation service 9MM, semi-automatic pistol a. Glock - Model 19, b. Smith & Wesson - Model 5946, c. Sig Surer - Model 226 - (providing such pistols were purchased, or were issued prior to July 31, 1995).

It also, however, authorizes the carrying of the regulation service revolver as follows: "a. the Smith & Wesson, Military and Police, model 64 NY-1 (3" or 4" models), b. Ruger -GPNY(3" OR 4" BARREL, STAINLESS STEEL), c. Ruger - Speed Six (3" barrel, stainless steel), d. Ruger -Poice Service Six (stainless steel - [discontinued by manufacturer]

NOTE Uniformed members of the service who possess the revolvers described below may continue to use them as authorized service/off duty revolvers, provided such revolvers were owned by the member prior to July 1, 1987: a. Smith & Wesson, Military and Police, Model (4"), b. Colt, Office Police, c. Colt, Metropolitan Mark III, d. Dan Wesson, Model II Fixed Barrel, e. Ruger, Police Seervicew Six, f. Smith & Wesson or Colt .38 Special revolver with a 3" barrel, and military (Patridge) sights.

[REV 00-03} The revolvers listed in this NOTE have a blued or parkerized finish with both double and single action capability, all steel frame (no air weight or alloy), and standard hardwood or authorized rubber grips."

Authorized off duty revolvers include "a. Ruger SPNY, Smith and Wesson Model 640, b. Smith and Wesson 64 NY-1", all of which must be spurless hammer, double action only; .38 calibre, with a barrel at least two (2) inches, but not more than four (4) inches in length." Other 2-4 inch Smith and Wesson, Colt or Ruger revolvers may be used off duty if such revolvers were owned by the member concerned prior to July 1, 1987, or, for former members of the Transit Police Department, prior to April 2, 1995."

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Chicago still issues them IIRC
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

G8KEYPR

Post by G8KEYPR » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:44 pm

bonjorno2 wrote:if you want to carry a revolver, use it as a back up, or become a security guard! [smilie=011.gif]
Hay lay off the revolver carrying security I resemble that remark

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 pm

G8KEYPR wrote:
bonjorno2 wrote:if you want to carry a revolver, use it as a back up, or become a security guard! [smilie=011.gif]

Been there myself, and +1 though now they can have SemiAutos in 9mm
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

bonjorno2
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bonjorno2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:27 pm

G8KEYPR wrote:
yeah yeah, kidding aside I worked armored cars and they gave me the option of a wheel gun and a semi... I prefer the semi, but there is nothing wrong with a revolver.... sounds like wackenhut to me or am I wrong?

G8KEYPR

Post by G8KEYPR » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:53 pm

bonjorno2 wrote:
G8KEYPR wrote:
yeah yeah, kidding aside I worked armored cars and they gave me the option of a wheel gun and a semi... I prefer the semi, but there is nothing wrong with a revolver.... sounds like wackenhut to me or am I wrong?

Gave up on them company's long ago they make all the money you get all the crap no gun now just a G8 keypr ...

bonjorno2
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bonjorno2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:17 pm

yeah aint that the truth....

Sugardick

Post by Sugardick » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Some agencies go off of a list that specifies approved brand (GLOCK, SIG, Smith) and caliber (.38, .45, .9mm). The weapon itself is not determined. Plain clothes guys purchase a gun within that parameter to carry and you might see (although you won't "see" them since they are concealed) a Glock 26 9mm, a Kimber Pro CDP .45, a S&W Airlite .357 or a S&W M&P 40c, a Sig 232 .380 or a Night Guard 8 shot .357.

As far as uniform duty guns, standardization is almost a given for various obvious reasons.

So the answer is Yes...and No.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Sugardick wrote:Some agencies go off of a list that specifies approved brand (GLOCK, SIG, Smith) and caliber (.38, .45, .9mm). The weapon itself is not determined. Plain clothes guys purchase a gun within that parameter to carry and you might see (although you won't "see" them since they are concealed) a Glock 26 9mm, a Kimber Pro CDP .45, a S&W Airlite .357 or a S&W M&P 40c, a Sig 232 .380 or a Night Guard 8 shot .357.

As far as uniform duty guns, standardization is almost a given for various obvious reasons.

So the answer is Yes...and No.

Great 1st post! Welcome to FSN