who can read a suture box ?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Re: who can read a suture box ?

Post by kmagnuss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Chuck Norris can give stitches to all the hungry people in Africa with a single round house kick.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

bermbuster
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bermbuster » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:08 am

AirForceShooter wrote:Crazy Glue.

Works quite well

AFS
I keep this in my first aid kit for flying and also around the house. It works great for shallow (not requiring muscle, tendon, or vascular repair) lacerations. Clean the wound, stop the bleeding, approximate the skin, apply superglue, allow to dry, apply butterfly wound closures or tape to provide added support. Nice clean scar if any.

If SHTF I figure I will have bigger things to worry about than finding someone who can sew me up. YMMV

copdoc

Post by copdoc » Thu May 13, 2010 7:48 pm

bama wrote:I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't know anything about suture size, material and such has no real business suturing wounds. This is, like many situations, focusing on gear instead of training. If you had all the equipment in a hospital, but didn't understand when (and when NOT) to use it, you won't be any good to yourself or the ones you are trying to treat. Learning to suture is not hard (I have taught hundreds of people to do it over the past 3 decades), but it is still a skill that needs training, practice, critique, improvement, and more practice.
Dr J is very right. (and a good guy to have around in an emergency). Learning to suture is easy, it's knowing how to clean, when and where to suture that can get you in trouble. It is however a good idea to have sterile saline, large syringe and "zero-wet" or 18 ga needle to clean a wound in your GTH bag. The cleaner the better.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:53 pm

thanks for the 6 month later reply, I have already cut myself and 3 members of the family and practiced on them, I'm a pro at it now [smilie=011.gif]

next I move on to the dog and cat =:e

you didn't read the entire thread did you, maybe stopped at the 3 rd post [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 pm

mjmensale wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:I have handcuffs too, but I don't have to arrest anyone ....lol
No, but you can make quest really happy! [smilie=011.gif]
You will make Wakkoss jealous.

copdoc

Post by copdoc » Fri May 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:thanks for the 6 month later reply, I have already cut myself and 3 members of the family and practiced on them, I'm a pro at it now [smilie=011.gif]

next I move on to the dog and cat =:e

you didn't read the entire thread did you, maybe stopped at the 3 rd post [smilie=011.gif]
I am slow reader, did not realize how old it was. Hell I can't remember how old I am. Also thought the info on a "zero wet" might be of use. I was going to get a pic but had a long day.

I have operated on lots of people but wife wants an expert on operate on the dog.