blood clot - quick clot stuff ??

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

blood clot - quick clot stuff ??

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 pm

medics and EMT guys....... is there a place on line, where you can buy those little baggies of Quick Clot stuff like for treating a gun shot wound ??

or could you recommend some items that could be ordered by the average Joe to have handy for my SHTF bag just in case I would need to treat a GS in case the bambulance is taking too long or may not come, or I have to try and make it to medical facilities on my own.

thanks /:f

Edit,....... also any ideas on what else I should have in my makeshift fanny type / trauma pack...I looked at the already stuffed packs online and I think they are overkill and expensive for just 3 people in the home.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

wakkoss
BANNED

Re: blood clot - quick clot stuff ??

Post by wakkoss » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 am

Try to get the new Quick Clot...the old stuff is harder to deal with in the ER.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:35 am

Don't ask me me about what to put in a FAK, my main kit is several pounds and 2300 cubic inches...of course that is one of 9 kits. What was that you said about overkill?

All joking aside. Only carry what you know how to use, clotting agents are effective in only a small amount of instances and untrained people tend to over deploy them like tourniquets. If a GSW is your main concern build a few blow out kits. Here is an idea of the content. You can add or subtract as you please.

2 pairs Nitrile or Latex exam gloves
2 packs 4"x4" gauze pads
1 Roll of Kerlix Gauze 4.1" x 4.5yd (if space is an issue a company called PriMed makes a vacuum packed version of this)
1 4" or 6" Israeli Trauma dressing or a surplus Carlisle dressing(way cheaper than izzy dressing but not as user friendly)
1 Pair of EMT shears, buy cheap as you will throw these away after a couple of cuts. You can get them by the dozen on ebay.
1 2 or 4oz squeeze bottle of alcohol, I prefer Betadine but a small portion of the population is allergic, I know me and mine are not so that is what is in my kit.
"Maybe when we secede, we'll just take the Constitution with us.
Nobody in DC is using it anyway." -Joe C. Wales

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

mkh100

Post by mkh100 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 am

You can buy it direct from quickclot:

http://www.quikclot.com/finditem/34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a medic, have used this product on a patient, and still don't carry it in my personal bag. Best ways to stop bleeding are still:

1. Direct Pressure (takes awhile sometimes, but still most effective way to stop a bleed)
2. Elevation (used with direct pressure will stop all but persistant bleeds)
3. Pressure Points (this is direct pressure applied to the artery feeding the affected area, stops all but the most persistant bleeds)
4. Tourniquets (the tourniquet lost favor in emergency medicine but is making a comeback, its often the first line of hemorhage control on two way ranges and it seems many of the old concerns about compartment syndrome and necroses just aren't proving true.) I think Cincinnatti EMS is carrying tourniquets on their ambulances for use on civilians, 5 years from now they may well be in vogue again. Of course where they are being successfull the patient is less than a few hours away from definative care so be carefull in tourniquet use especially if your way out. For right now tourniquets are seen as a last ditch effort to preserve life when all other types of hemmorhage control have failed (1-3)

Use them in the above order. I would buy an occlusive dressing or two and learn their use before spending anything on quickclot or other hemostatic agent. An occlusive dressing is used to emergently treat a sucking chest/neck wound and is a must have for a shooter IMHO.

Mike

PS..........buy direct from QC with a $ order from one of those wally world teller machines for a real laugh ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) _: _: _: _:

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:14 pm

mkh100 wrote: I would buy an occlusive dressing or two and learn their use before spending anything on quickclot or other hemostatic agent. An occlusive dressing is used to emergently treat a sucking chest/neck wound and is a must have for a shooter IMHO.

Mike
Good point, I carry an Asherman Chest Seal but I generally don't like to list advanced supplies unless I know the person has the training to use them. The above advice is golden and from a professional(which I am not) there is nothing that will replace training when it comes to first aid.

Ronald Reagan brought down the 2nd most powerful nation in the world-the Soviet Union.
Barack Obama is trying to bring down the most powerful nation in the world-the United States of America

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Not to derail this thread, but by the same line of thinking I can't find anybody that sells the battle dressings that we used in the military. The one's I'm thinking of are about 8" square and have cloth strings attached to each corner. Those would be great to have in a kit.

Synaptic Misfire
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Synaptic Misfire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Is this it? If so search for carlisle bandage I got lucky and picked up 48 for $20 from ebay a few months ago.

http://www.opsgear.com/ProductDetails.a ... lick=45368

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:44 pm

the problems with all those online tactical stores is they try and gank you on the price since it has a Tacticool advertisement with it...just sell me the " old lady cut her arm off and is about to dye bandage "...lol

I found this on line that making me look at this harder :

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/000458.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Synaptic Misfire wrote: but I generally don't like to list advanced supplies unless I know the person has the training to use them.
please don't take offense, but I'm talking about a SHTF or worst case scenario here where medical attention is a long ways off....I'd rather have it and not know how to correctly use it, than not have it.....maybe some neighbor would come along and be retired Army medic or something, at my house finding a clean rag out in the shed would be right next to the can of Hell freezes over

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Here's a couple of the items I carry in my SHTF/hunting/field first aid kit:

disposable body stapler

Celox granules, plunger applicator, and trauma kits

The guy who runs this website http://www.beyondbulbs.com is local to the Tampa area and is a great guy to deal with - I found him totally by Google, and I have no relationship to or interest in his business other than as a satisfied customer.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Misfire, that carslile was close but not quite what we used. Ours were probably a little larger and had cloth strings that were maybe 1/2" wide instead of the wide straps that were on the one you linked.

The great thing about the ones we used was that they were so versitile. You could bandage a severed limb, a large headwound, a large torso wound, etc. all with one size bandage.