ATF Special Agent exam

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
G_Loc
Life Member
Life Member

ATF Special Agent exam

Post by G_Loc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm

I applied with the ATF (I know, I know) for a special agent position back in October when I was seeking employment at anywhere besides my employer at the time. This past week they finally sent me an e-mail that I've been scheduled to take the ATF Special Agent Exam. Figured I might as well take it and see what happens. Any experience with this exam? I found some sample questions online, looks pretty basic I suppose - I've never taken any kind of LEO/Agent exam

The e-mail said they discontinued use of the TEA exam.

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Re: ATF Special Agent exam

Post by Taco » Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

In order to ace the test you must:
-Charge the proctor $875 just to read the exam
-Fill in all the circles, then erase all of your answers and pretend they never occurred
-Loose the answer sheet, then claim it is the fault of the person who handed you the exam
-Publish a report, written 4 years ago, that stated that the test taken today is irrelevant

-Oh... And then you have to... Wait... someone is knocking on the door... I'll finish the post once I get back.

I was just informed that I now completely approve of everything the ATF has done and will ever do.

Good luck!
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

The Fed

Post by The Fed » Sat May 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Sorry if this is too late. While I'm not familiar with this particular test, I knew a kid who joined the Uniformed Secret Service. Perhaps the process is similar, since they're both federal LEO's. He just got out of college with a criminal justice degree, and I don't remember him saying he took a written test. He did take a physical fitness test, where he had to do pullups, situps, pushups, running, etc. He was timed, and there were minimums required. And you have the psych exam. And a backgound investigation for a Top Secret clearance, which includes credit checks, driver's records, talking to former employers and neighbors. I believe you get the physical and background check first. Doen't matter how smart you are if you can't be hired. My wife was interviewed by an agent because the kid worked with her. There's a 40% or 60% washout rate, can't remember which it is.

I'll assume you have at least a Bachelors degree. What's nice about federal LEO's is they are paid a special rate for overtime, so you make a lot of money on overtine, and you can carry anywhere.

G_Loc
Life Member
Life Member

Post by G_Loc » Sat May 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks for that info. I passed the exam, so now I have to wait for a panel interview, which can take months for them to get back to me on that, or, quite possibly, never - by the time they get to you, they might no longer need people due to them having enough positions filled.

And yep, I've got a Bachelors

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sat May 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Aw man the fun I could have w/ this thread LOL

but I wont, good luck dude!
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

The Fed

Post by The Fed » Sat May 30, 2009 8:55 pm

The federal LE agencies are always looking for people. I would apply for them all, especially the FBI ans SS. If you were to really become hard up you can always join the Border Patrol, and transfer to another agency after a few years. But BP is really lousy duty for at least the first year and a half. You're usually alone in the middle of the desert. And the grade level is lower, so your pay is much less. Plus you stand a good chance of winding up in a high COL area, like San Diego. But I believe it's the easist way to get your foot in the door, if all else fails. And you already completed the basic federal LEO training. There's usually always BP openings, since, like I said, many transfer out as soon as they can. Right after 9/11 the BP ranks were decimated, since DHS needed to beef up all of the other federal LE agencies, and BP agents were snatched up, because they only needed advanced, agency-specific training. Good luck, and keep checking http://www.usajobs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Big government is good for only one thing - employment of pro-2A conservatives. Get in there, and try to make a difference from the inside.

Osprey

Post by Osprey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:12 pm

If you get a job at BT you will probably be assigned south of the border. That would not be fun. Those guys get hammered and deal with the worst working conditions I've ever seen. They don't get paid well and for sure their equipment is not replaced until the wheels fall off.