What guns for Miami-Dade police?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Dyno58

What guns for Miami-Dade police?

Post by Dyno58 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:37 pm

I was talking to a police officer the other day at work and he had a nice HK. I asked if Miami Dade PD officers could carry whatever gun they wanted. He told me that when he came on they would give each new officer a list of approved duty guns. He told me that they changed the rules and they are going to restrict all new officers to carry one type of gun. The older officers would be able to grandfather their guns in, but the new guys can only carry G17's and G19's off duty. He made it sound like it was the rumor going around and couldn't confirm for sure.

Does anyone know if this is true? I would think that with the way the criminals have been lately, and the high crime rate they would want to arm officers with higher caliber guns! rw:

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Re: What guns for Miami-Dade police?

Post by NonConformist » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 pm

The Tallahassee Police did that years ago, made everyone start carrying SIG p229 .40s, but they also issue them
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Lots of departments do that. PBSO had an approved list, but recently issued their deputies Glock 23s and Glock 27s. Poor choice, in my opinion, but nobody asked me. :) The problem with restricting guys to one gun is that there isn't one gun that works for everyone. If you've got 12 years of military experience, you should be able to carry a Beretta. If you previously were Agent 47, you should be able to carry twin 1911s. Plus, why choose the 9mm round? I'd be interested in how they came to the decision of which pistols to require.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 pm

wakkoss wrote: I'd be interested in how they came to the decision of which pistols to require.
Kickbacks from Glock :-k
From an organizational standpoint I see where standardizing on a FEW (not one) duty pistol makes some sense. Less pistol brands floating around less spare parts, mags, holsters, etc you have to keep in inventory. You don't want people carrying whatever they want or else someone will show up for roll call with a 22lr Sig Sketer (or an ugly AK). I thought the idea of having a few choices on an approved list made allot of sense, at least allot more than mandating everyone carry pistol XYZ.
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:06 am

What wrong with glock 23?? A person advised me that glock sold guns to officers for about 300 each. Do not know if this is true or not.

kilo905

Post by kilo905 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 am

Current policy (as of about 4 years ago) for MDPD patrol officers is individually purchased 9mm caliber pistols set up for DAO/striker fired. Off the top of my head, Beretta 92, Sig P226, HK USP, and Glock 17.

More senior LEOs are grandfathered in with conventional DA/SA models of the same pistols.

There was a recommendation made to issue Glock 17's across the board within the past couple of years, but last I heard from agency brass was on hold due to logistics/funding.

MDPD did extensive testing and determined that 9mm was the best choice for general LE use.
Plus, why choose the 9mm round? I'd be interested in how they came to the decision of which pistols to require.
In summary, 9mm and .45 topped the .40, but the 9mm won on price and capacity. Glock won out on price and ability to maintain/swap out parts. May not be the best for everyone, but good enough for government work.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:14 am

kilo905 wrote:Current policy (as of about 4 years ago) for MDPD patrol officers is individually purchased 9mm caliber pistols set up for DAO/striker fired. Off the top of my head, Beretta 92, Sig P226, HK USP, and Glock 17.

More senior LEOs are grandfathered in with conventional DA/SA models of the same pistols.

There was a recommendation made to issue Glock 17's across the board within the past couple of years, but last I heard from agency brass was on hold due to logistics/funding.

MDPD did extensive testing and determined that 9mm was the best choice for general LE use.
Plus, why choose the 9mm round? I'd be interested in how they came to the decision of which pistols to require.
In summary, 9mm and .45 topped the .40, but the 9mm won on price and capacity. Glock won out on price and ability to maintain/swap out parts. May not be the best for everyone, but good enough for government work.
The county just recieved 4,000 Glocks to issue out. In addition to the G-17 they can carry a G-26 as a backup. They must have the "miami barrel" installed as well.

ss1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ss1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 am

70% of all PD's allow or require Glocks for duty issue. By default, holsters and other associated gear are easy to find. The price point on the large contract Glock orders are impossible to beat. To service 5,000 G17 or G19's, an armorer needs about a tacklebox of parts and tools. No other duty gun is as easy or as inexpensive to service and maintain. Glock training and support is far beyond many competitors.

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 am

wakkoss wrote:Plus, why choose the 9mm round?
One word: Budget.

bowhunter
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Lake County, FL - sic semper tyrannis - AmeriKa-but seeking the restoration of the Founder's

Post by bowhunter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 am

g34man wrote:
kilo905 wrote:
The county just recieved 4,000 Glocks to issue out. In addition to the G-17 they can carry a G-26 as a backup. They must have the "miami barrel" installed as well.
why does it not suprise me that the mpd would require a miami barrel...
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." – Thomas Jefferson

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am

Miami-Dade PD allows the Glock 17 in 9mm and Sig P226 in 9mm as well - .

The City of Miami issues Glock 22 .40 cal only for duty.

The "Miami Barrel" imprints a design on a fired bullet that police can then use to trace the barrel from which that bullet was fired. This all started back in 1994 when experts were unable to determine which of two Miami officers killed a bystander during a shootout. Miami police said they were reassessing whether to stay with the Glocks and so Glock went to work creating the "Miami Barrel". They didn't want to lose the multi-million dollar contract.

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:40 am

I just heard from my buddy that starting with the new MPI-110 academy class starting in either June or August of this year, Glocks will be issued by the Miami-Dade PD and officers will not have to buy them on their own from Lou's. This backs up what G34Man was saying.

It will be Glock 17's for on duty and Glock 26's for off duty.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:56 am

wakkoss wrote:Lots of departments do that. PBSO had an approved list, but recently issued their deputies Glock 23s and Glock 27s. Poor choice, in my opinion, but nobody asked me. :) The problem with restricting guys to one gun is that there isn't one gun that works for everyone. If you've got 12 years of military experience, you should be able to carry a Beretta. If you previously were Agent 47, you should be able to carry twin 1911s. Plus, why choose the 9mm round? I'd be interested in how they came to the decision of which pistols to require.
O know the Tallahassee Police did it because they were tired of officers bitching about having to buy their own gun, and then only a certain one off a list, so they went with one gun and the PD paid for them and issued to them

Recently Leon Count SO did the same with HK USP Compacts though some officers still carry other guns
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 am

PBSO gave the choice of Glock 22s or 23s. Off duty is any of those plus the 27...OR if you had a gun that you previously qualified with you could keep it in an off-duty capacity only. I need to snap a pic of mine with my issued Bushmaster. They both have the sheriffs star engraved on the side and look pretty cool. Little tidbit I was told is that we also have the "miami" barrel in the Glocks.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:45 am

I think it makes a lot of sense from an admin position to issue one line of gun, like the Glocks, and be done. Yes, not all guns will be ideal for all people, but the vast majority of time that's a training issue more than anything else. The complaints that I've heard about hand size... IMHO if your hand is too small for a Glock, you're too small for LE work.

I once had to outfit a woman for the SFCC Academy that literally didn't have enough room on her belt to fit the basic requirements of the academy, let alone what you'd actually be carrying on the road, and who knows what she'd be doing these days with the addition of tasers. I can just imagine her making a felony stop. #-o
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

N3OKI

Post by N3OKI » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:32 am

wakkoss wrote:Lots of departments do that. PBSO had an approved list, but recently issued their deputies Glock 23s and Glock 27s. Poor choice, in my opinion, but nobody asked me. :) Plus, why choose the 9mm round? I'd be interested in how they came to the decision of which pistols to require.

The 23 and 27 are .40cal. :ber
Bill N.
FLDOH-EMT/B
PADOH-EMT/B
NRA

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 pm

False Prophet wrote:Miami-Dade PD allows the Glock 17 in 9mm and Sig P226 in 9mm as well - .

The City of Miami issues Glock 22 .40 cal only for duty.

The "Miami Barrel" imprints a design on a fired bullet that police can then use to trace the barrel from which that bullet was fired. This all started back in 1994 when experts were unable to determine which of two Miami officers killed a bystander during a shootout. Miami police said they were reassessing whether to stay with the Glocks and so Glock went to work creating the "Miami Barrel". They didn't want to lose the multi-million dollar contract.

Does it work as designed?