if a car is registered elsewhere...

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Skeezix
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: if a car is registered elsewhere...

Post by Skeezix » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:10 pm

taseal wrote:now what if that car came down here?
Cover up the lights and remove the radio.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

Post by FLEMTP » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 pm

I would say as long as he carries his dept ID and badge.. and maybe a letter from his chief stating that he is authorized to have lights on his car.. and i would make very clear very early in the stop that he is a LEO from Mass..and be prepared to show the credentials and letter.
Without guns, we'd be british!

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:00 pm

taseal wrote:well he is going to do the 'auxiliary' police from what I heard (just now) and up in MA they are sworn in. they have power to arrest and do carry guns. and are also allowed to have lights in their personal cars

now what if that car came down here?
When you say "He is going to do", I gather that to mean that he hasn't yet. If he is going to be sworn in as you said, that means he would have to go through the academy. If and when he does, that may be a different story at that point. Right now it is illegal for him to do so. I think that the law I quoted before is clear as far as blue lights in vehicles are concerned.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -- Sigmund Freud

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
than tell him what a loser he is for having all that stuff in the first place ](*,)
let me rephrase that since we know a little more :

Tell him take all that stuff out and act normal !...if he gets to become LEO then let him buy whatever, but until that day comes........tell the wanna be to lay low- be cool #-o
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

N3OKI

Post by N3OKI » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 am

taseal wrote:does some vehicle laws not apply to it even if its from FL?

for example. lets say MA has no tint laws for example... if that car comes to FL with 5% tint. could he be ticketed?

or how about scanners. in FL unless u have a radio operator license, or an emergency vehicle, you can't have a scanner. in MA i believe you can. also same with emergency lights. I believe there are no laws about blue lights in cars in MA. but in FL its a big nono.

so if that car came to FL, would the driver get in trouble? even though its registered to MA, but driving in FL

thanks!

As far as the lights go.. When i moved here from Pa. I had to remove my blues (Volunteer FF/EMT's legal in Pa.). Any time I left the state of Pa. I would put a cover over the mini edge just so there was no headaches.
Bill N.
FLDOH-EMT/B
PADOH-EMT/B
NRA

thorazine
Life Member
Life Member

Post by thorazine » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:13 am

Why anyone (NON LE/FIRE/ETC) would want a light bar on their personally owned vehicle is beyond me -- I do not understand why...

It seems rather -- lame.

At least a concealed carry badge has some useful purposes,

EXAMPLES:

Impressing girls at the night club.

Making bedroom "cops and robbers" with you and your significant other more realistic.

Posing in the mirror and doing a quick draw from your holster while saying some impressive clint eastwood line.