Did any of you wait until your 30's to become a LEO?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Did any of you wait until your 30's to become a LEO?

Post by kmagnuss » Sun May 16, 2010 9:34 pm

yeah...my 4 knee surgeries pretty much put a damper on that one.

Now even the fat officers can outrun me.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GunnyHiway » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 pm

I just completed the "D" unarmed and "G" armed security officer courses at Central Florida College in Ocala and will submit my paperwork next week. I was asked by the instructor ( a retired cop ) who also teaches part of the police academy at the same college if I would be interested in being a cop. I thought he was pulling my leg. :---)
I aced all the finals and shot a 239 out of a possible 240 on the pistol range. He said I would have a better than avereage chance at getting hired due to my maturity, life experiences and intelligence level [smilie=011.gif] .

I'm 55.

After checking it out they have a 4-5 hr. a night, 5-6 days a week, 9 month course available. He told me 2 guys 57 years old completed it last year and are working at Ocala PD.

I may just do it.
The M14 does my talking !............and the 1911A1 too !

CRIMSON TIDE !!!

Onree
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Onree » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Best of luck to ya Gunny! :ber Keep us posted.
There is an undeniable cultural difference. It's the difference in the mindset of those who believe they are owed a living, and those who believe success is the result of hard work.

Scurvy_Dog

Post by Scurvy_Dog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm pushing 39 and on the lookout for a career change into LE as well. I have two buddies who just joined the LAPD, one who is 37 and the other who is 39 so it is definitely doable. Of course, the three of us are in pretty good shape so that helps.

The only problem is as already mentioned... nobody wants to pay for your academy in many parts of the US.

Bleh... Budget cuts... [smilie=upset.gif]
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

poloboy821
Life Member
Life Member

Post by poloboy821 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Reading this thread just got me leaning even more towards pursuing a job in LE. I am currently an out of work paramedic/firefighter (just lost my job in sept) and just dunno where i want to go in life. Law enforcement has always intrigued me, and as i think more about it an speak to LEO's i realize that i might have to make this thought a reality. While i thoroughly enjoy being a paramedic , the job market is FLOODED with FF's and it seems like they are pumping out hundreds more every year. I was told that being a paramedic may help me in finding a job/sponsor for the sheriffs office in my local area. I am currently 28 and just wish i knew what i want to be when i grow up [smilie=011.gif] =:vio
Why do people say " Grow Some Balls" ? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina, those things take a pounding! - Betty White
^^my sig was stolen by Erik and then claimed to be his first^^

Erik smells funny!!!!

Dalton Wayne
BANNED

Post by Dalton Wayne » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I was 32 when I became A leo, worked for five years and the wife gave me a choice her or the job
I took her but it was a fun five years, my full time gig was a Firefighter/Paramedic
Regards
DW
Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, sometimes we just snuggle.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW