Did any of you wait until your 30's to become a LEO?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Did any of you wait until your 30's to become a LEO?

Post by kmagnuss » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 pm

Here's the skinny: I'm 31. Growing up I always wanted to be in the military and then be a LEO or fireman. Instead of doing what I wanted, I chose to do what my father wanted and I went to college for business. Received my BA from a top 5 business school, moved to FL and I can't stand any job I've had since. Well after 7 years of 'living the dream' :---) I think it's time to do what I really want to do. Is it too late for me to even be considering this? Is it something that I can get into rather quickly? (within 6 months or so). Thanks for your assistance, and I'm sorry if my questions seem a little 'newbish'.

-Mags
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Did any of you wait until your 30's to become a LEO?

Post by flashooter22 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:00 pm

31 is definatly not too old. I would say about half of our new hires are at least 30..some much older. As for how long...its a pretty long process to get hired. The way the economy and budget cuts have been lately, finding a job from an agency that would have to sponser you is pretty tough. You can put yourself through the academy but that itself is about 6 months pretty much full time....and it does not gauruntee you a job. the best bet is to look at your local agencies and see if they are hiring or sponsering uncertified applicants. The hiring process probably averages over 6 months. Good luck
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:09 pm

As long as you have a degree, Tallahassee Police will pay your academy

It may have changed w/ the new chief, but last i heard if you arent black or female they arent hiring, but they are worth popping an app into!
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm

That's the catch though. I have to stay local to Sarasota; North Port actually. So I would go as far south as Fort Myers and North to Tampa. I saw a post somewhere else on here that Charlotte County is hiring. Anyone know if this is still true? If it is, should I go in there requesting a sponsorship, or just go submit an app and cross my fingers?

sarhog

Post by sarhog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 am

I got sworn in at 40.....

Sidewinder6
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Sidewinder6 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:21 pm

I am sure with a degree and added maturity, you will make a better canidate than many of the younger bucks. Go for it but be patient. The process can take a year before your terrorizing the criminals.

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:56 pm

kmagnuss wrote:That's the catch though. I have to stay local to Sarasota; North Port actually. So I would go as far south as Fort Myers and North to Tampa. I saw a post somewhere else on here that Charlotte County is hiring. Anyone know if this is still true? If it is, should I go in there requesting a sponsorship, or just go submit an app and cross my fingers?

Try Plant City PD. They are hiring.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:00 pm

I don't know what you're job is like, but if you can spare 20-40 hours a month, you may be able to start as a reservist.

http://www.ocso.com/CrimePrevention/Bro ... fault.aspx

Pay is 0, but there are some perks.

Plus, if you decide it is something you really want to do, and don't mind dropping to 35k a year, that should help. If you want to leave it a 'hobby' or decide it's not for you, you haven't lost a lot.

<Found about about this program after another member mentioned it... Not for me currently... Maybe it can work for you?>
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 am

This is unrelated but when I clicked on Taco's link, I decided to click on the prostitution arrests for sh!ts and giggles. Oh man! I thought that Miami prostitutes were scary!!!! Here's a couple from Orange County that nearly made me lose my breakfast.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -- Sigmund Freud

caveman42

Post by caveman42 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:34 pm

One of the best Narc cops I ever worked with didn't start until he was 40. He had owned his own business and did what he had to do to until his kids were grown. He sold the business and joined a local PD. We went to the academy together (I was 22) and I think that his age was beneficial to him in many ways more so once he got on the street. He was stable, had a lot of life experience to draw from and was far from a typical rookie. So, in short, I think you have as good a chance as anybody and probably have a lot to offer in terms of maturity. Good luck

caveman42

Post by caveman42 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:34 pm

duplicate post. sorry
Last edited by caveman42 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowhunter
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Lake County, FL - sic semper tyrannis - AmeriKa-but seeking the restoration of the Founder's

Post by bowhunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:31 pm

I have a couple of freinds who have been/are OCSO Reserve - I think it is a good program and so do they..
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." – Thomas Jefferson

bowhunter
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Lake County, FL - sic semper tyrannis - AmeriKa-but seeking the restoration of the Founder's

Post by bowhunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:32 pm

False Prophet wrote:This is unrelated but when I clicked on Taco's link, I decided to click on the prostitution arrests for sh!ts and giggles. Oh man! I thought that Miami prostitutes were scary!!!! Here's a couple from Orange County that nearly made me lose my breakfast.

FP - remember Disney is up here... it is the magic kingdom - lots of.... oh well I will just drop this line of comment..
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." – Thomas Jefferson

daave
Life Member
Life Member

Post by daave » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 pm

you should schedule a ride-along with a local dept.. get a feel for the job and the demands..

i have a bud who is a deputy.. i get jealous of his dept issues cars, his gear, guns, and all of the 'tools of the trade'

im in the same shoe whereas i wanted to go military aviation, but busted my elbow a few days before signing up. Economy tanked right after my re-coop so while my #2 was always LEO.. that didnt look so promising.. plus i was comfortable in a good job that is promising to be a great job (keep dreaming).

I keep losing my focus at work and my desire to perform at the office... my personal issue is that i used to be a always-on-my-feet adrenaline junkie and now im sitting in an office for 10 hours a day (with no overtime). Im craving a career move which offers me some change from day-to-day, some excitement, and less hamster-in-an-endless-wheel future.

To be blunt... the business world sucks. Always a carrot at the end of a stick and always a few % short of the salary you 'earn/deserve'.

While LEO isnt easy, always fun or exciting, my buds who are cops all love the career adn the challenges and diversities involved.

I feel your pain OP... definitely following the same mindset and trying to decide my next move.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:03 pm

It's funny you mention the ride along. I have my first one scheduled for tonight @ 6:00. I'm looking forward to it.

I just started filling out all of my applications for the academy, but I'm waiting for some documents to come in so that I can fill them out accurately.

I'm actually leaning towards the FWC. I know the pay is less, but it just seems like more my personality. I don't even know if they do ride alongs, so I'm going to call around today and see.

manfromsnowyriver
Life Member
Life Member

Post by manfromsnowyriver » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 am

kmagnuss wrote:It's funny you mention the ride along. I have my first one scheduled for tonight @ 6:00. I'm looking forward to it.

I just started filling out all of my applications for the academy, but I'm waiting for some documents to come in so that I can fill them out accurately.

I'm actually leaning towards the FWC. I know the pay is less, but it just seems like more my personality. I don't even know if they do ride alongs, so I'm going to call around today and see.
North Port PD starts pay really good, I'd stick w/ them. $40k+ Not to mention North Port is booming so they're always hiring LEO here.

Osprey

Post by Osprey » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am

When I attended the academy, we had a guy that was 40. He was in good shape and was able to stay up with the platoon. I Noticed you mentioned in a previous post that you were working out and going to gym. I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

dontbelieve

Post by dontbelieve » Sun May 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I was pondering this myself. Good to know I am still eligible.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ipscscott » Sun May 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Sidewinder6 wrote:I am sure with a degree and added maturity, you will make a better canidate than many of the younger bucks. Go for it but be patient. The process can take a year before your terrorizing the criminals.
Well, that pretty much takes kmagnuss out of the running. [smilie=stirthepot.gif]
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:26 pm

well a year ago when this was active, kmags wanted to wear the badge, now I think he's turned to the dark side [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.