Laws on Dogs, Specifically the Aggressive Kind.

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
HAL

Laws on Dogs, Specifically the Aggressive Kind.

Post by HAL » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Had an incident this afternoon with a neighbor’s dog being aggressive (about had to dispatch the dog [will post details of the event soon]). After we contacted the Sheriff's office/Animal Control we found out the dog had chased and bitten a young girl walking her dog not too long before we had our interaction with the dog.

If we were in Komifornia, this dog would be on its way to be euthanized. What are the State laws (if any) regarding aggressive animals?

Even a point in the right direction to find where/what the laws are would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
HAL
"A brother may not be a friend, but a friend will always be a brother." - Ben Franklin (1706-1790)
“I want to be an achiever, like Bad Horse” – Dr. Horrible

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Laws on Dogs, Specifically the Aggressive Kind.

Post by rob_s » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 am

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index. ... /Sec12.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

mjrodney
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mjrodney » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 am

Not long ago, there was a local dog that was allowed to run loose, and this critter would aggressively confront anyone who ventured into his area. The dog owner was aware of the problem, as the law paid him a visit several times, advising him to control the animal.

Nothing changed until a terse letter was sent to the address, by certified mail, advising the dog owner of the intent to place the matter in the hands of an attorney, should the animal not be controlled.

Soon after, a gate magically appeared on the fence surrounding the owner's property, and the dog has been forevermore penned up.

Some folks can tolerate a visit or three by the police, but they cringe in fear at the thought of having a lawyer after their wallet, I guess.

JBUG99999

Post by JBUG99999 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:39 am

Each county's animal control systems are going to vary slightly. I would suggest calling your local office and speaking directly to the source.

I found the Polk County office fairly helpful, once I found the right person.

Good luck!

Taco
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Taco » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:56 am

Up in New York we had a 'One Free Bite' policy. A dog was assumed to be tame until they took a chunk out of the first person, or the owner had evidence that the dog was violent for some other reason (breed is not a factor). You were only negligent and forced to pay/put down after the second bite.

But we is be in Florida. Shoot it if it bites [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif].
Col. Hans Landa: I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, but rumors, true or false, are often revealing.

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:09 pm

As mentioned, contact the County's animal control or Sheriff's office and stay on them if you have to. I'm sure that once you tell them the seriousness of the dog's actions, they will go out right away in order to avoid liability should something happen because they took their time.

What about the owners? Are you on speaking terms? They are legally responsible for damages caused by the dog if it is outside of their property and without a leash.

If there is a Pitbull or similar dog that is either about to bite me or a family member, I'm going to blow that dog's brains all over the sidewalk. The last thing I'm going to be thinking about in that situation are laws.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -- Sigmund Freud

Mahamotorworks

Post by Mahamotorworks » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:59 pm

If the neighbors would back you up on the aggression I would dispatch it and deal with it. Maybe we will have to think of something when I get there.

MAHA

HAL

Post by HAL » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 pm

The dog has not been seen since the incident, but my wife and I are pretty sure we have heard her barking from next door. We are on constant alert when we leave from/arrive at the house, their other dog which "never gets out of the backyard" is always getting out. I suspect they have the offending dog, Baby, tied up so she can not escape.

I guess it was a good thing I did not dispatch Baby at the time, there was a 10 year old girl who had been terrorized across the street who would have seen it all. I would not want a child to see something like that.

Next time, GAME OVER!

HAL
"A brother may not be a friend, but a friend will always be a brother." - Ben Franklin (1706-1790)

ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ger42 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 am

We have a dick head in our neighborhood who never has his dogs on leash. Older frail women has them out during the day no leash. They came running up to us once as we walked past their house. We were across the street. My dog went after them as they approached. She nipped at one as I was yelling for the owner. He came out saying no big deal and called the dogs over. This was when we first got Gracie. I now bypass the area. I carry pepper spray and a S+W 642. I think I'd use the 642 first. These dogs are much bigger then ours.
My insurance company has a clause denying any dog related coverage and will cancel the policy if you have a doberman, pit bull and a few others.
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 am

A small bowl of anti-freeze does wonders!

1965mini

Post by 1965mini » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:49 am

Animal control in your area should be able to deal with the issue. They will usually be quick to act if the animal actually bit someone.
If the animal is running loose they will capture the animal and fine the owner.

HAL

Post by HAL » Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm

1965mini wrote:Animal control in your area should be able to deal with the issue. They will usually be quick to act if the animal actually bit someone.
If the animal is running loose they will capture the animal and fine the owner.
Our county's animal control is useless, a waste of taxpayer money.

Our encounter with the animal it bit a 12 year old girl and kept charging/barking/growling at us. When animal control finally showed up the dog's owner was on-site and the dog was happy as could be, not threatening like it was to us. The animal control lady thought the dog was 'such a good dog' and 'would never hurt anyone' despite the fact that it did bite that young girl.

That was about 5-6 months ago, we found out that about 2 weeks ago it attacked our neighbor and the person one more house down. They told the boys father (I say boy, but he is about 25ish) that the dog needs to go because there are several people who will take care of it the next time it attacks anyone.

I had my 3 year old daughter in the front yard when I noticed a dog that looked very similar to it near by. Luckily she was in back of my truck so I could run inside, get armed, and get everyone inside. We called animal control to report it, saying it had attacked us and our neighbors and that there were children playing in the neighborhood. Someone took our info and we got a call about 20 minutes later asking if we had an emergency. We did not and since we could no longer see the dog they said they could nothing and call if we spotted the dog again.

HAL