Police Radio in Orlando

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
yodar

Police Radio in Orlando

Post by yodar » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:25 am

I drive for a living and have seen frequent LARGE police activity (30 cars to one site) and I wanna HEAR whats going on.

SEVERAL questions

1.Can you keep one in the car?
2. Can you hear OPD or is it encrypted?
3. Whose brand name scanner is best in this application?
4. Best purveyor of said radio? AES? Radio Shack?

TIAS

Yodar
YODAR

Words MEAN Things

TC
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:50 am

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:02 pm

This doesn't belong in the "Help" forum. :ham'r

Moved.

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

ScarFace88
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Police Radio in Orlando

Post by ScarFace88 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:35 pm

yodar wrote:I drive for a living and have seen frequent LARGE police activity (30 cars to one site) and I wanna HEAR whats going on.

Yodar
My guess is somebody robbed a donut shop...
"Only fools stand up and really lay down their arms
No, not me, not when Death lasts forever"
Megadeth - United Abominations

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks to TC I read the law and couldn’t believe my eyes.

I never knew it was illegal to have a police receiver in your car!

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard! Why do they sell police scanners – or do they not sell them any more?

Of course, after reading the law very carefully I guess I’m exempt because I have a license to operate a radio station. We had to get one for work because we use some of the “restricted” GMRS (General Mobil Radio Service) channels.

But our radio station license says right on the front, “Effective 2/19/99 the GMRS rules have been amended and you may operate on any of the primary or interstitial channels shown in section 95.29. blah, blah…”

FCC rules section 95.29 clearly defines (read: restricts) the channels that we can transmit on.

http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2006/95/29/

But says nothing (that I can find in a quick glance) that limits the channels that we can receive!

My advice would be if a person wanted to get and legally use a police scanner they could get a radio station license from the FCC for GMRS radio communications - and then put a good attorney on retainer. Because, as we all know, just because something is legal doesn’t mean you can’t get arrested for it.

Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

profshadow
Life Member
Life Member

Post by profshadow » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Guess that means you will have to hook up your scanner at home and call it with your cell.....

So what does someone have to do to get a license?
Don't play Rocks, Paper, Scissors, Guns. You'll lose every time.
Violence may not be the best solution....but it is still a solution
Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est

fish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fish » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:49 pm

OPD and OCSO are on a Motorola 800mhz trunked radio.

This technology skips channels on the fly and so without
a radio programmed for the tactical talk groups, there is no
easy way to track the channels as a conversation proceeds.

The media had to purchase Motorola radios of the same technology
and have them programmed by the OC Radio Shop to be able to listen.

L4zy

Post by L4zy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Wow I never knew this, and I had one in my car for YEARS!! =dc

Link HERE

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XLVI
CRIMES
Chapter 843
OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE
View Entire Chapter
843.16 Unlawful to install or transport radio equipment using assigned frequency of state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions; penalties.--

(1) A person, firm, or corporation may not install or transport in any motor vehicle or business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch vehicle as herein defined or a place established by municipal, county, state, or federal authority for governmental purposes, any frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement officers or fire rescue personnel of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of its agencies. Provided, nothing herein shall be construed to affect any radio station licensed by the Federal Communications System or to affect any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.

(2) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Emergency vehicle" shall specifically mean:

1. Any motor vehicle used by any law enforcement officer or employee of any city, any county, the state, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Armed Forces of the United States while on official business;

2. Any fire department vehicle of any city or county of the state or any state fire department vehicle;

3. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the state;

4. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the sheriff or fire chief of any county in the state when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said county;

5. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the chief of police or fire chief of any city in the state when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said city.

(b) "Crime watch vehicle" means any motor vehicle used by any person participating in a citizen crime watch or neighborhood watch program when such program and use are approved in writing by the appropriate sheriff or chief of police where the vehicle will be used and the vehicle is assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the county or city. Such approval shall be renewed annually.

(3) This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission or to any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.

(4) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

History.--ss. 1-4, ch. 26886, 1951; ss. 24, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1049, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 86-55; s. 1, ch. 90-62; s. 95, ch. 2005-164.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:28 am

this might be a dumb question , but how would they now you had it in the car
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

TC
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:43 am

Rentprop1 wrote:this might be a dumb question , but how would they now you had it in the car
When they see it sitting on the seat after pulling you over for something else?

kilo905

Post by kilo905 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:this might be a dumb question , but how would they now you had it in the car
When the car crashes into a building after fleeing from the scene of a business burglary and you find it while inventorying the vehicle. This statute is usually an add charge.

This statute is usually interpreted like the possession of burglary tool statutes. If you are a decent guy and stopped at high noon on your way to work and have boltcutters and crowbars in your car, you are pretty much good to go. If you have a record as long as my arm and are stopped in a business complex at 3AM with boltcutters and crowbars (and a scanner), you may catch a charge.

The only folks I am aware of of catching this charge were somehow linked to much more serious crimes, but YMMV depending on your local po po.

TC
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:36 am

kilo905 wrote:The only folks I am aware of of catching this charge were somehow linked to much more serious crimes, but YMMV depending on your local po po.
Yeah. If they're bad enough you may have trouble even if you're legal.

There was a story a year or two ago in the HAM radio forums about an a-hole cop in upstate NY who gave a HAM a hard time about his HAM radio (which can also receive police freqs) in his car, even though NY law also has the HAM exemption, and he had a printout of the law with him.