Concealed carry badges, yes or no.

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
User avatar
#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: West Lake County

Concealed carry badges, yes or no.

Post by #1Glock30 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:50 pm

I would appriciate if some officers would express their opinions on carry badges. Do you think citizens should carry them exposed? Produce them only in a volatile situation? Or not use them? I hope this isn't a dumb question but it's something I've wondered for awhile now. :-k
Also, how do you feel about people coming up and asking you questions like this when you're out and about? You see, I eat lunch next to the Orange County Sheriff compound and see a lot of officers to ask questions but I don't want to bother them.

User avatar
aquajon
BANNED
Posts: 4130
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Boca Raton
Contact:

Post by aquajon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm not a LEO so don't take any of this as legal advice, but my take on CCW badges is that they are useless. Why would you even need it?
1. If you were ever in a situation were you thought you might need your firearm you want to pull the gun, not the badge.
2. You can be considered as "impersonating an officer" if you display it while walking around, etc.

I just think that unless you want to use to it flash it to your friends it's got no use. You don't want anyone to know you have a gun until you are ready to use it.

User avatar
MSGTTBAR
Member
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:27 pm
Location: PENSACOLA

Post by MSGTTBAR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 pm

NO ! NO ! NO !

Badges are for 12 year old kids. Real adults don't need them.

JMHO
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SERIOUS

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 22854
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:26 pm

just go ask one of your local sheriff buddies at lunch for one of those plastic sheriff badges they give to kids #-o

solves both issues, you get to look cool with your badge and you get to talk to the cops.

p.s. I would not ask them a bunch of stupid questions thou
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
DeltaWolf
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:09 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DeltaWolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Charlrs H. Bronson issues you a laminated card to keep in your wallet.
You only show it when asked by a law enforcement officer, SO WHY
The H--- would you want to wear a fake badge you paid $50.00 for -
telling the whole world you are carrying?

We all get that letter trying to sell the fake badge.
#1= it is Fake.
#2= save your $50 and put it on some ammo, holster or something real...
-Dave

User avatar
RevCharlie
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 8099
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:32 pm
Location: Near Daytona Beach

Post by RevCharlie » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:04 pm

I'll Sell You My CCW Badge For $40!!! =D>
/:f

bugman
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:13 am
Location: Orlando, corner of Gaylando and Little Saigo, across from the BlackHOP

Post by bugman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:13 pm

I'd want one if they weren't so expensive

It would make an interesting paper weight and desk clutter

User avatar
#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: West Lake County

Post by #1Glock30 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 am

These answers are confirming why I haven't gone out and bought one. I guess if they were worth it more people would have them.
I didn't mean to were it like a shirt badge for the whole world to see. But what about under the shirt bottom so you can raise your shirt and and tuck your shirt in behind it to show it in the extreme case of waiting on the police after you have actually had to shoot someone ? Along with having your firearm reholstered when they get there.
To me that doesn't sound childish. It's not about having something to play cop with.It's about tipping them off that you may be the good guy.
No offense to civilians but I still would like to hear the answer from some
LEOs.
Last edited by #1Glock30 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Eli BCP
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:42 pm
Location: Aventura (north Miami-Dade)

Post by Eli BCP » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:28 am

#1Glock30 wrote:These answers are confirming why I haven't gone out and bought one. I guess if they were worth it more people would have them.
I didn't mean to were it like a shirt badge for the whole world to see. But what about under the shirt bottom so you can raise youy shirt and and tuck your shirt in behind it to show it in the extreme case of waiting on the police after you have actually had to shoot someone ? Along with having your firearm reholstered when they get there.
To me that doesn't sound childish. It's not about having something to play cop with.It's about tipping them off that you may be the good guy.
No offense to civilians but I still would like to hear the answer from some
LEOs.
If I were LE, and I came on to a shooting with someone waving a fake "badge", I might surmise right off the bat that the guy was a little too eager to play "cop". That is a bad impression to create.

If you ever have to shoot, have your gun reholstered (or on the ground), your CWP out in one of your raised hands, and your very short story straight-- like, "Officer, this guy pulled a gun on me, so I had shoot him. Here's my concealed weapons permit, and I'd be happy to tell you more, and I will, but I think I need to talk to a lawyer first." Then shut up until you see a lawyer.

No "badge" required.
Last edited by Eli BCP on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Th0r
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: S. Fort Myers, FL

Post by Th0r » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Civi here, but I've directly asked the question to a few LEOs.

My badge is simply there for damage control. It's on my belt right next to my gun. Usually I carry behind my hip with and open shirt or jacket. If a sudden gust of wind blows it open too far, first thing anyone would see would be the badge and then the gun.

That's the only use I see for a CCW badge and I've been told by LEO's that it's an acceptable way to use for it. They said purposely displaying it, even in the event of using your firearm, could see you slapped with impersonating an officer. Even if you don't openly display your badge, if it's discovered during questioning after an incident, be ready for the wanna-be cop comments/questions.

User avatar
#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: West Lake County

Post by #1Glock30 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Th0r wrote:Civi here, but I've directly asked the question to a few LEOs.

My badge is simply there for damage control. It's on my belt right next to my gun. Usually I carry behind my hip with and open shirt or jacket. If a sudden gust of wind blows it open too far, first thing anyone would see would be the badge and then the gun.

That's the only use I see for a CCW badge and I've been told by LEO's that it's an acceptable way to use for it. They said purposely displaying it, even in the event of using your firearm, could see you slapped with impersonating an officer. Even if you don't openly display your badge, if it's discovered during questioning after an incident, be ready for the wanna-be cop comments/questions.
Thanks ThOr. Sounds logical. And thanks to everybody else for your comments. I value all of your opinions . Please,keep them coming. As of now I don't think I'll be buying a badge. =D>
Last edited by #1Glock30 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wakkoss
BANNED
Posts: 9973
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:48 am
Location: Palm Beach County

Post by wakkoss » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:38 pm

First, the badge. It screams WANNABE. I see people walking around the gun show with those ridiculous badges on and I want to point and laugh. You are advertising that you have a pistol on you, and while some would argue that it's a deterrant, some would argue that it's a bullseye. Cops are going to think less of you (not more of you) because you'll be labeled a wannabe. Some civilians might believe you are impersonating a cop or might think you actually are one. That might seem exciting to you, but if you're in a bank and some robbers come in and see that badge hanging on your belt...what's gonna happen to you? Carrying a gun that's only concealed by a jacket is ok, but be careful...if the wind blows the jacket back it could present a problem...silly badge or not.

Save your money for another gun or a quality holster, and leave the badges for the police. Other folks than CWP holders get the wannabe badges too. Public Defenders get PD badges, bail bondsmen, security guards, to name a few.

As far as asking questions to police while they're out and about, it depends on what they're doing. If they're eating or shopping, imagine yourself in their shoes before approaching them. Nothing like getting your meal disturbed because you want to know what to do about a ticket, or if I know Joe who is a cop in Chicago. If he's on a traffic stop, don't go anywhere near him...he's already on high alert and you will be perceived as a threat. If he's walking a beat, go ahead and ask away, it's part of the job to help you out. Cops are people too, remember, and asking a couple pointed questions politely will get a much mroe positive response than drawn out "What if...?" "I've always wanted to know..." questions.

Some people think that if a cop is in uniform, he's on duty and therefore should be willing to stop and serve anyone anywhere. Uniform doesn't always mean duty. And even if they are on duty, lunch breaks can be taken doing personal errands and not just seated in a restaurant.

Eli - Identify your CWP FIRST. "Sir, do you have any guns in the car?" "Sir, did you shoot this man?" "Officer, I have a CWP in my wallet in my front right pocket, and I have an M60 in my left front pocket." is a little better than mentioning the gun first.

Just my two cents.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

User avatar
#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: West Lake County

Post by #1Glock30 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:44 pm

wakkoss wrote:First, the badge. It screams WANNABE. I see people walking around the gun show with those ridiculous badges on and I want to point and laugh. You are advertising that you have a pistol on you, and while some would argue that it's a deterrant, some would argue that it's a bullseye. Cops are going to think less of you (not more of you) because you'll be labeled a wannabe. Some civilians might believe you are impersonating a cop or might think you actually are one. That might seem exciting to you, but if you're in a bank and some robbers come in and see that badge hanging on your belt...what's gonna happen to you? Carrying a gun that's only concealed by a jacket is ok, but be careful...if the wind blows the jacket back it could present a problem...silly badge or not.

Save your money for another gun or a quality holster, and leave the badges for the police. Other folks than CWP holders get the wannabe badges too. Public Defenders get PD badges, bail bondsmen, security guards, to name a few.

As far as asking questions to police while they're out and about, it depends on what they're doing. If they're eating or shopping, imagine yourself in their shoes before approaching them. Nothing like getting your meal disturbed because you want to know what to do about a ticket, or if I know Joe who is a cop in Chicago. If he's on a traffic stop, don't go anywhere near him...he's already on high alert and you will be perceived as a threat. If he's walking a beat, go ahead and ask away, it's part of the job to help you out. Cops are people too, remember, and asking a couple pointed questions politely will get a much mroe positive response than drawn out "What if...?" "I've always wanted to know..." questions.

Some people think that if a cop is in uniform, he's on duty and therefore should be willing to stop and serve anyone anywhere. Uniform doesn't always mean duty. And even if they are on duty, lunch breaks can be taken doing personal errands and not just seated in a restaurant.

Eli - Identify your CWP FIRST. "Sir, do you have any guns in the car?" "Sir, did you shoot this man?" "Officer, I have a CWP in my wallet in my front right pocket, and I have an M60 in my left front pocket." is a little better than mentioning the gun first.

Just my two cents.
Your two cents are worth a dollar _:

User avatar
bowhunter
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2647
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:28 pm
Location: Lake County, FL - sic semper tyrannis - AmeriKa-but seeking the restoration of the Founder's

badge

Post by bowhunter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:46 pm

I dont have one but if you want one I can sell you one for....

how bout $80.00?.... no.. hmmm OK I will go to $65.00 and not a penny... $50.00? OK... Ill go $50...
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." – Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Marco Island to Ft. Myers, Florida

Post by Mr. Smith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:40 pm

wakkoss wrote:"Officer, I have a CWP in my wallet in my front right pocket, and I have an M60 in my left front pocket."
I have two comments; the first is that a CW license doesn’t allow carry of a rifle or shotgun concealed. The second is: I’ve always wanted a pocket sized M60, where can you get one? :bg ;=je

On a more serious note, There are a lot of people out there with CW licenses. I’ve thought a lot about different kinds of “what if” situations. Frankly, if it ever happens and I’m involved in a shooting I’ll be as much on guard for other CWL holders mistaking me for a bad guy as I am for other bad guys.

I, along with a lot of other people, know what a real badge looks like. Fake badges scream “impersonator.” Anybody trying to impersonate a cop is very suspicious. If that person is involved in a shooting there are prosecutors that would have a field day making the shooter look like a reckless vigilante looking for somebody to shoot.

Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

User avatar
aquajon
BANNED
Posts: 4130
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Boca Raton
Contact:

Post by aquajon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Mr. Smith wrote:On a more serious note, There are a lot of people out there with CW licenses. I’ve thought a lot about different kinds of “what if” situations. Frankly, if it ever happens and I’m involved in a shooting I’ll be as much on guard for other CWL holders mistaking me for a bad guy as I am for other bad guys.
I have worried the same thing. Some other CCW holder hears gun shots, moves over to me and see's me standing over a dead guy holding a gun. Whats his next move...shoot me probably. It doesn't matter that he will go to jail, I will be dead (or at least in a really pissy mood).

User avatar
Lowell
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Fort Lauderdale

Post by Lowell » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm

i googled and found the same ones they have at gun shows all the time:
http://www.popguns.com/badge_cwp.htm

maybe we should get a group buy going!....




[/sarcasm="off"]

User avatar
#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm
Location: West Lake County

Post by #1Glock30 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm

One thing I noticed is the fact that I haven't seen them for sale in any of the gunshops. Believe me I've been in a lot of different gun shops.
That should be a tip off right there.
On the light side: Do they make a pocket M50? =:s

User avatar
bfips
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:23 am
Location: Venice, FL

Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm Licenses

Post by bfips » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:30 am

From the Divison of Licenses website

ANSWERS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT RECIPROCITY AND TRAVELING WITH A FIREARM

QUESTION 9. I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder.
Character determines destiny
In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty
NRA Life Member

User avatar
DeltaWolf
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:09 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm Licenses

Post by DeltaWolf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 pm

This Bears Repeating
bfips wrote:From the Divison of Licenses

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or
confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License.

Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen
as a license holder.
-Dave

Post Reply