Receipt checkers

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
limestonecowboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Receipt checkers

Post by limestonecowboy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:31 pm

One of evryone's favorite chain stores here has started posting receipt checkers at the doors. I usually comply when they ask nicely, but today this old fart stepped in front of me and just stuck out his hand. I asked him if he was gonna speak or just grunt. I had the receipt and a jug of antifreeze in one hand, and a 2nd jug in the other. He muttered a bit, looked at the receipt and waved me out.

I do HATE being more or less accused of stealing by these peons, especially 10 feet from the register. Do I have a legal obligation to show a receipt, or can I breeze on by? What about bag searches?

Thanks in advance.
They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

blan
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:43 pm

You are under no obligation to show them anything:
http://www.bwcitypaper.com/1editorialbo ... 2&-nothing

Now, if it's a "club" where you pay membership dues to shop there, then you have to follow their rules or they can take it away. But regular retailers? No.

Edit:
Some other good reading regarding incident with receipt checkers that I read a long time ago:
http://consumerist.com/consumer/civil-r ... 292688.php
Follow up: http://consumerist.com/consumer/followu ... 293353.php

Another one: http://consumerist.com/consumer/civil-r ... 296143.php
Follow up: http://consumerist.com/consumer/civil-r ... 302267.php
Last edited by blan on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:55 pm

I occasionally refuse, generally give them a hard time, and most often don't shop where they do this. Especially if you mean walmurt
"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without"

HotShot308
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HotShot308 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:34 pm

That sounds like fun. =D> :smile
HotShot308

"The founding fathers made the right to bear arms the second amendment for a reason. It's the one that protects all your other freedoms, which aren't worth the parchment they're printed on if you don't have the means to defend them." Penn Jillette

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Its so true. Numerous times they slow you down looking for their stupid receipts. So next time i'll try just walk past check point. :-k

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:45 pm

I have no problem showing it if asked , but when you get that gung ho D1ckhead.......just wave it frantically ( here-here-here ) then wipe you ass with it and toss it at the guy, and keep on rolling
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:49 am

Wonder if I would go to jail if I pepper sprayed them while they were trying to detain me for not showing a receipt?
IYAOYAS

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 am

I think this is as much to check on their own employees as anything else. Businesses lose a lot more to employee pilferage that they do to shoplifting. A cashier can neglect to ring up items for a good buddy, or for an accomplice.

But it's still not our problem at the door.

The point is, it's not that they don't trust us... they don't trust their cashiers.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:20 am

I've found it to be neighborhood oriented. My neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but just a hair to the west of us (literally "across the tracks") is a complete sh!thole. They receipt check at Best Buy, Circuit City, Home Depot, etc. in our area.

Move 30 miles northwest to West Boca and I've NEVER been receipt checked at any of the stores there.

Either way, I ignore 99% of them and just keep on walking.
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:53 am

I personally have never had a problem with this, when the rent-a-cop starts to walk towards me I just ignore him and walk right by. Not once has one of them actually said anything like wait, let me see that receipt. but like Rob mentioned I'm sure this is based on where you shop, if you are in an area of high crime then the stores are on "high-alert" and might give you more trouble.

Even if you exert your rights and they do detain you it seems that it's only going to keep you in the store longer and cause a scene. The best you could do is get the media attention and cause the retailer some financial loss.

ParagonSig

Post by ParagonSig » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:05 am

I see this at wallyworld, but I always show it if needed. These are people I see often, and they are mostly retirees. They are just doing their jobs, and I have never had an unfriendly one. Sometimes we stop for a moment to shoot the breeze.

If I were to encounter a mean one, I would remember. Then next time, I would walk on by. :smile

I rarely go to Best By or Home Despot. Or Circus City.

Mighty Hd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mighty Hd » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:23 am

Rentprop1 wrote:I have no problem showing it if asked , but when you get that gung ho D1ckhead.......just wave it frantically ( here-here-here ) then wipe you ass with it and toss it at the guy, and keep on rolling
I think my orange juice just came up through my nose.

=D> =D>

Wipe your ass with it ..LMFAO!

Mighty Hd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mighty Hd » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:30 am

The door ninja at our walmart is a fat chick.

I remember clearly and from that day on I have screwed with her.

My wife and I were in walmart LATE one night, around 11pm. I know mistake but she needed to get something, I don't remember what. We made our way and ended up getting a dog-kennel type thing for the dog so he can travel to the vet more easily. This is a big item and won't fit in a bag.

There was one register open infront of the door, right were fatso was standing. She was WATCHING us the entire time.

We checked out, I got the receipt, put it in my wallet and on we went.

Ms. Door Ninja begins to approach us, I detour and go to the next door. The ones that aren't automatic so I slammed the hell out of the door with the cart to open it. I'm not touching any door in walmart--sorry.
This girl begins to say loudly "SIR, stop now, I need to see your receipt"
I ignored her.
Again she got louder and more "firm/bitchy" sounding.
I am at this point making the second set of doors you pass though.
She attempts to jog over to us and I quickly turn around and told her if she was a real receipt ninja, she would have noticed we checked out right infront of her ass.
Yet she continues to say I MUST see your reciept, stop NOW or else.

I'm outside now. I told her to call the police and stick it in her ass.

So now every time we go there and I see her working, I purposely buy something big, check out infront of her just to screw with this fat bitch.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 am

Anytime I show them my receipt and they say "Thank You." I never say "You're welcome." I know I'm hardcore, but that's just how I roll. :_r
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:58 am

For the most part you're taking it out on the wrong person. The receipt checker is just doing their job, doing what they're told. If they don't do it the way their told to do it there's a chance they're going to get the butt chewed. If they're already on probation for earlier problems it might mean a pink slip. If you have to "screw" with someone about it, you should probably take it up with store management, not the peon at the door.

Raising Cane with the door checker may make you feel good, but it won't change anything...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:13 am

birdman wrote:For the most part you're taking it out on the wrong person. The receipt checker is just doing their job, doing what they're told. If they don't do it the way their told to do it there's a chance they're going to get the butt chewed. If they're already on probation for earlier problems it might mean a pink slip. If you have to "screw" with someone about it, you should probably take it up with store management, not the peon at the door.

Raising Cane with the door checker may make you feel good, but it won't change anything...

Allan
So, you advocate the surrender of one's rights and dignity simply because the offending party is "just doing their job"? :-k

Would you take the same approach with a LEO who attempts to disarm you in the aftermath of a hurricane simply because he was "just doing his job" and following orders from City Hall?

The receipt-checkers are representatives of the corporation. If the corporation gives instructions on how to ask for receipts, they should also give them instructions on how to respond in a legal fashion when someone refuses. The corporation is responsible for the actions of it's employees - if someone were to grab my arm to restrain me when they have not observed me actually stealing merchandise, they can expect me to respond in an appropriate manner.

Yelling/shouting in protest, calling 911, and deploying pepper spray in self-defense all come to mind.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

neeko

Post by neeko » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:38 am

wakkoss wrote:Anytime I show them my receipt and they say "Thank You." I never say "You're welcome." I know I'm hardcore, but that's just how I roll. :_r
HAHAHA thats priceless...

Mighty Hd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mighty Hd » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:38 am

flcracker wrote: The corporation is responsible for the actions of it's employees - if someone were to grab my arm to restrain me when they have not observed me actually stealing merchandise, they can expect me to respond in an appropriate manner.

Yelling/shouting in protest, calling 911, and deploying pepper spray in self-defense all come to mind.

Drawdown baby, draw-f__king down baby!!! W000000TTT!!!

WOOAH YEAAAHHHHH

=:s :smile =D>

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:11 pm

Actually, I see it as taking it out on exactly the right person. If "receipt checker" becomes a completely intolerable position because every single customer wipes their ass with the receipt and stuffs it in the checker's mouth, then there will be no more checkers. Problem solved.
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

starbuck

Post by starbuck » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm

I had an incident in Wal Mart about 1.5 years ago where the "door greeter" and I had little "spat".
It was about midnight and as usual they had one register open. I spent 30 minutes waiting in line to buy one item. Needless to say, once I was done ringing up, I was little steamed and wanted out of there. On my way out the door greeter stopped me and asked to check my receipt. I snapped "After waiting in line for 30 minutes to buy it? No." and proceeded to walk out. Mr door greeter then grabbed me by the arm to detain me. Wrong move.
I grabbed the hand he had on my arm and placed him into an armbar and took him down to the ground, where I held him until one of the managers on duty showed up. After explaining that his $7.00 an hour flunky had just tried to forcibly detain me for refusing to show a receipt for a legitimate purchase, I was told that physically detaining customers is strictly against Wal Mart corporate policy, that the greeter would be "counseled" about it, given numerous apologies, assured that no wal mart associate would ever touch me again while shopping there, and apologized to some more.