Thinking about applying but I have an arrest record.

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
dgoingsjr

Thinking about applying but I have an arrest record.

Post by dgoingsjr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:44 pm

I'm thinking about applying to several departments. I notice some list you can't have any arrest/and or convictions involving domestic violence. Here's the deal I was arrest about 10 years ago for domestic violence but the case were dropped . I have a very well paying job making around 70k a year but I'm 34 and want a career change. Is that arrest going to kill my chances of getting on with any department ?

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 am

Hurt yes, kill no. Where was the arrest? What exactly were you accused of?
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

dgoingsjr

Post by dgoingsjr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:46 am

I was arrested in miami dade. I pulled it up and from what I see it was two charges Battery/agg/pregnant and Battery/Aggravated. The dispostions read Nolle Pros/ No action. This really sucks because the only reason they arrested me was because she threatened to sue if they did'nt take me to jail.

bugman
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Orlando, corner of Gaylando and Little Saigo, across from the BlackHOP

Post by bugman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:07 am

Look into expungement
I was denied admission to the Basic Xray school because of similar circumstances

I was told that they would change their mind if I had my record expunged

I'll be looking for another school that understands innocent until proven guilty

dgoingsjr

Post by dgoingsjr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:53 am

I was told that expunging your record makes you look like you have something to hide and can sometime hurt you. I know someone that had that happen to them when they applied for correction. Aleast thats what they told me.

bugman
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Orlando, corner of Gaylando and Little Saigo, across from the BlackHOP

Post by bugman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:29 am

I always thought the same thing
But in this case it was the only way to get into that school
So not having it expunged was definitely harmful

You could always apply and get your record expunged if denied

I have also been told though that my record would not keep me from applying for LEO by a local 20year sheriff deputy, and surprisingly neither would my age

My last felony encounter was about 15 years ago and it was a bad one