anyone seen the new open carry permit?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
taseal
Life Member
Life Member

Re: anyone seen the new open carry permit?

Post by taseal » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:55 pm

23Preacher wrote:1987 sounds about right,I moved here in '88.The guy told me that he rode down 441 in Orlando with his .45 on his side. Said he didn't like it,felt like everyone was lookin' at him,LOL,I wonder why.
when ppl say 'are you a cop or something?' you can just say 'or something'
-Emir

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 pm

We shouldnt have to have ANY kind of 'permit' to excercise a right, regardless how you want to carry
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

Whisky6920

Post by Whisky6920 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:34 pm

NonConformist wrote:We shouldnt have to have ANY kind of 'permit' to excercise a right, regardless how you want to carry

You got that right! /:f

Glock23shooter

Post by Glock23shooter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Open carry is legal in florida http://www.flaguns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the website
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Florida is in there also, i didn't read the whole thread cause i'm lazy and been reading all day lol. I open carry on property and around my apartments and everyone has seen my gun on my side and are cool with it, havn't heard not one complaint and i hide it when kids are around me when i head to my car or take out my trash.

Glock23shooter

Post by Glock23shooter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Forgot to mention open carry is legal for 18yr old's only for property and business accomplises only.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Glock23shooter wrote:Open carry is legal in florida http://www.flaguns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the website
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uhhhhhh, no, it’s not legal and neither of those two links supports your statement. Try this one instead. http://opencarry.org/fl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glock23shooter wrote:Florida is in there also, i didn't read the whole thread cause i'm lazy and been reading all day lol.
If you’re lazy then don’t go around posting s';t that’s not true and could be liable to cause trouble for someone taking your statement at face value. If you HAD read the thread you would have seen that the consensus, based on Florida statutes, is that open carry is not legal except for several very specific situations as shown below.
Glock23shooter wrote:I open carry on property and around my apartments and everyone has seen my gun on my side and are cool with it, havn't heard not one complaint and i hide it when kids are around me when i head to my car or take out my trash.
Open carry is allowed under FS 790.25(3)(n) on or in your own house or place of business as long as there are no common areas involved. It’s 110% certain your apartments have some common areas and you’re in violation of the law if you’re open carrying in them. You might also want to read Gutmacher’s book, specifically page 93 of the 6th edition.
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Yes open carry is legal, but in very narrowly defined areas
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

False Prophet
Life Member
Life Member

Post by False Prophet » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:06 pm

mjmensale wrote:If you’re lazy then don’t go around posting s';t that’s not true....

Image [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=popcorn.gif]

Osprey

Post by Osprey » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:15 am

Yes, Glock23shooter, you need to be careful about open carrying. A lot of bad stuff could come down on you from no where. Just think about what would happen if someone did call the police on you to cause you some grief because you ticked them off for whatever and sundry reasons. If you get a rookie police officer or worse, a police officer that has leanings towards the anti-gun side of the equation for citizens (they are out there, trust me) that gets dispatched to the call and he arrests you for open carrying. Then it ain't funny no more. I've seen it happen. Unless the more senior officers or supervisors pull him aside and explain the grey area you are trying to stay in, you will probably be taken to the Grande Casa where you will spend the night (at least one night) in one of the most stinking places you have ever seen. Then you have to come up with bail money, you have to deal with attorneys, etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitem.........

It ain't worth it. Even cops don't openly carry when they're off duty. Not because they can't. It's just not smart. Why give away your edge? Why ask for trouble?

Just my 2 cents, with common sense. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

johnsteele

Post by johnsteele » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Osprey wrote:
It ain't worth it. Even cops don't openly carry when they're off duty. Not because they can't. It's just not smart. Why give away your edge? Why ask for trouble?

Ah, but therein lies the rub; cops CHOOSE not to do so because they have the CHOICE --- the rest of us don't.

No offense to our LEO brothers, but pray tell what makes cops better, smarter, more important, more self-controlled than the rest of us mere citizens? Because they have a badge? Because they took an oath? What?
John
---------------------------------------
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent something like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:20 pm

johnsteele wrote:
Osprey wrote:

Ah, but therein lies the rub; cops CHOOSE not to do so because they have the CHOICE --- the rest of us don't.

No offense to our LEO brothers, but pray tell what makes cops better, smarter, more important, more self-controlled than the rest of us mere citizens? Because they have a badge? Because they took an oath? What?
:popcorn: [smilie=011.gif]