Can an oficer see your entire DL record?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Juker008 wrote:
quest wrote:well i would say yes it is probable cause if he runs you and sees that your license is suspended.

Thank you, actually I'm trying to get a definite answer from someone in the field.

Juker008

You would not be justified to stop that vehicle by solely running the plate and seeing that the owner has a suspended DL. Someone else could be driving the vehicle. As someone said before, all of your pictures come up on the computer and if the driver is 100% without a doubt the owner with the suspended license, then you could stop them. Either way, if the driver happens to violate the law in any way as you are behind them, then it's a legal stop.

Juker008
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Juker008 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Jeffrosdl wrote:
Juker008 wrote:
quest wrote:well i would say yes it is probable cause if he runs you and sees that your license is suspended.

Thank you, actually I'm trying to get a definite answer from someone in the field.

Juker008

You would not be justified to stop that vehicle by solely running the plate and seeing that the owner has a suspended DL. Someone else could be driving the vehicle. As someone said before, all of your pictures come up on the computer and if the driver is 100% without a doubt the owner with the suspended license, then you could stop them. Either way, if the driver happens to violate the law in any way as you are behind them, then it's a legal stop.
Hey thanks for the info.
When you say all of your pictures. Do you mean all the pics that were ever submitted to the DMV, or just the most recent?

Also what I don't get is that if the driver is 100% without a doubt the driver with the suspended license? How would you know 100% that they are the ones? Simple drive up next to them to check them out?

Thanks again,

Juker008

Sidewinder6
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Sidewinder6 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:00 pm

lx460 wrote:
wakkoss wrote:Right. Dismissed are gone...never happened. Withholds are on your record. Found that out when I pulled my own record a few years ago. #-o
Are you sure? I was pulled over for speeding a couple months back by FHP. I told him I had a clean record and CDL and I really could use a break. When he returned he brought up a citation I had received last year. This ticket had been dismissed, not withheld, but dismissed entirely. He let me go with a written warning but obviously something showed up on his computer. Also I can look up traffic infrctions on the county clerks website. The dismissed ones are still there. How is that fair?
Just a thought: Perhaps FHP uses their own records check which might be different than the one shared outside of the agency. I recall FDLE gets alot more data than the rest of the community did which, is in part why so much oversite is required in running criminal histories these days.

Juker008
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Juker008 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:41 pm

Sidewinder6 wrote:
lx460 wrote:
wakkoss wrote: I recall FDLE gets alot more data than the rest of the community did which, is in part why so much oversite is required in running criminal histories these days.

A little confused with what you mean. Could you please give me an example.

Thanks,

Juker008

Sidewinder6
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Sidewinder6 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Sorry.

What I meant is that internally, there is more information available than what might available be for a 'client' agency.

In the case discussed here, I was considering the possibility that DHSMV produces records to an LEO making a query that might not have dismissed cases.

However, FHP (who is dhsmv) may have records of all citations issued regardless of the disposition. This would not be used to adjudicate someone for instance a person applying for a job, but in the case of FHP, they may use it to determine whether you are a liar. I suspect that is the underlying concern on this thread although that is academic.

Also, I believe that you run different queries on a tag, which is different than running a query on the registered owner. Not only for the reasons discussed, but for the structure of the data base queries. Now someone might correct me here because progress is possible.

Bottom line: A computer query presents information to different audiences under different guidelines.

Juker008
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Juker008 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Sidewinder6 wrote:However, FHP (who is dhsmv) may have records of all citations issued regardless of the disposition. This would not be used to adjudicate someone for instance a person applying for a job, but in the case of FHP, they may use it to determine whether you are a liar. I suspect that is the underlying concern on this thread although that is academic.
Good read, good info. Actually the underlying concern is whether an individual's driving record would give judgment as to whether the driver is cited or not. In other words, does the driver have enough citations on his record that the person citing the infraction believes that the charges will stick,.

Thanks again,

Juker008

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:00 pm

CC1911 wrote:Most departments have MDT's in the car and can access D.A.V.I.D. a program that shows them your complete history along with all D.L. photos you've used etc. And to answer your question about withholds, yes they show up.
True, if they have access to DAVID and MDT's. Otherwise, no... FCIC doesn't show that info.
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

TampaShooters
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TampaShooters » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Juker008 wrote:
Sidewinder6 wrote:However, FHP (who is dhsmv) may have records of all citations issued regardless of the disposition. This would not be used to adjudicate someone for instance a person applying for a job, but in the case of FHP, they may use it to determine whether you are a liar. I suspect that is the underlying concern on this thread although that is academic.
Good read, good info. Actually the underlying concern is whether an individual's driving record would give judgment as to whether the driver is cited or not. In other words, does the driver have enough citations on his record that the person citing the infraction believes that the charges will stick,.

Thanks again,

Juker008
No, FHP does not see these, nor do they have access to these from their computer system during a normal DL check through FCIC. Of course, like the above post, FHP and other agencies can use the DAVID system, which brings up your picture, DL history, Registered Vehicles, etc.
Member: NRA Lifetime & GSSF
Glock Armorer
U.S. Navy Veteran (Gator Navy)

Si vis pacem, para bellum