How does this look?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
UCFmechanic

How does this look?

Post by UCFmechanic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 am

Well, it happened.

I got pulled this morning originally for doing 52 in a 35, but the officer knocked it down to "Failure to obey a traffic control device". The statute says "316.074 (1)". It also says on my ticket in the "Other violations pertaining to offense" who the Oviedo PD officer was who clocked me, and says my original speed on the ticket (and I was clocked from 622FT away).

If a Law Enforcement Agency looks up this offense on my record in my hiring process, what will they see? Will they only see the Failure to Obey, or the speed as well??

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was going so well there for awhile as far as my record was concerned, and now I got this. I am pissed, but I could have wound up with another speeding ticket.

Also, should I take the guy to court, or just attend school?
I am Chuck Norris.... I need no guns ;-)

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 am

Are agencies really rejecting new hires because of traffic tickets?
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:38 am

Yes they are. Guy in my agency was told to reapply in a year due to his bad driving record. A few years later a motorcyclist ran a stop sign and killed himself when he TBoned the police car. The news reported the cop's bad record and his delayed hiring. Didn't change the facts, but it was mentioned.

To answer the post, no, your driving record only shows the statute/number, adjudication and date including the last seven years.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

Mighty Hd
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mighty Hd » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:45 am

PM inbound for a way for this ticket to disappear.

UCFmechanic

Post by UCFmechanic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:51 am

Well, I am happy about the fact that they won't see the speed (so I can get away with saying I "rolled a stop sign making a right turn"), but still I am upset that now I have to spend about $200 to get that ticket to disappear. It is worth it, but it's upsetting.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 am

Sucks but 52 in a 35 is a poke. You can also simply plead no contest (like many of the lawyers do) to it. It will still show up on your record though. And would you REALLY want to lie on an interview for the police? Sounds like an moral decision to me.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

UCFmechanic

Post by UCFmechanic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Of course I wouldn't lie.... I would tell them what happened. I really did fail to obey a traffic control device (the device being the speed limit sign).

Hopefully this guy that Mighty has referred to me will work and I won't even have to see it on my record.

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:37 am

wakkoss wrote:Sucks but 52 in a 35 is a poke. You can also simply plead no contest (like many of the lawyers do) to it. It will still show up on your record though. And would you REALLY want to lie on an interview for the police? Sounds like an moral decision to me.
What is a "poke?" Does that mean he was going slow?
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:27 pm

UCFmechanic wrote: still I am upset that now I have to spend about $200 to get that ticket to disappear. It is worth it, but it's upsetting.
buy a mini van, slow down, leave a little earlier for work = no speeding which equals no tickets :smile
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

CC1911
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CC1911 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:41 pm

Contact the clerk of courts in your area and ask them for the procedure to obtain a Withold of adjudication, you still pay the civil fine but no points are added to your record
The reason the officer put the original speed in the comments is in the event you contest the ticket after he (or she) gave you a break is because they can request at the beginning of the hearing for the citation to be amended to the original speed (and fine)

George W
Life Member
Life Member

Post by George W » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:50 pm

CC1911 wrote:Contact the clerk of courts in your area and ask them for the procedure to obtain a Withold of adjudication, you still pay the civil fine but no points are added to your record
The reason the officer put the original speed in the comments is in the event you contest the ticket after he (or she) gave you a break is because they can request at the beginning of the hearing for the citation to be amended to the original speed (and fine)
Really? I was under the thought that they could only amend down, not up. I find this disturbing if true because it would make an innocent person much less likely to stand up for their rights under threat of a stiffer penalty.
Half of my resolutions to problems come with a cold sweat somewhere around 2 am.