shooting on private property

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

shooting on private property

Post by neverenoughguns » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:49 pm

I have a Florida Gun Lqws book but did not see the information I was looking for. Could someone please point out a link or reference to a law that allows someone to shoot firearms on private property. IE, if the parcel is so many acres, located outside of a municipality, etc?
Thank you!

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:26 pm

Laws are not written to ALLOW things. They're written to FORBID or REGULATE things. If it isn't against the law, you can do things generally that don't harm others.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:30 pm

I know you definately can not discharge a firearm in the city limits, if you are rural there is still a noise ordinance ( trust me I found out the hard way ) WARNING ONLY by LEO ....lol
I remember seeing somewhere the general rule of thumb was 10 acres and a safe backstop
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Sidewinder6
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Sidewinder6 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:21 am

Look for County ordinances since you mention being outside of city limits.

whitetiger7654

Post by whitetiger7654 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:01 pm

Call your local sherriff department. I did and they told me exactly what I needed to know. Distances from houses, approved backstop, and what they would look for if someone called them out there. Problem solved in under 5 minutes. Plus you get to build a repor with the officer that would be called out and they know you are doing it safely and within the law.

bugman
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Orlando, corner of Gaylando and Little Saigo, across from the BlackHOP

Post by bugman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:32 pm

You cannot shoot across a road or within so many yards of a hiway, you cannot shoot within so many yards of an occupied dwelling, you can't fire into an occupied dwelling, you can't fire onto or across someone else's property

Those are the kind of the rules that you look at when determining if you are legal

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Will call the Sheriff's office tomorrow. I looked in the county ordinances and did not find anything. Thank you!