LEO salaries

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
g34man
Life Member
Life Member

LEO salaries

Post by g34man » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:48 pm

I had a post a few months back on officers working ot and etc to make extra money and many people disagreed that they should. I read this article today in the Miami Herald and a sgt on the force for 10yrs made 110k a year. Is this typical?

http://www.miamiherald.com/884/story/176385.html

Miami-Dade cop faces attempted murder charge
BY EVAN S. BENN
ebenn@MiamiHerald.com

A 36-year-old woman says Sgt. Raymond Richard Lumarque sexually assaulted her.Miami-Dade police arrested one of their own -- a 10-year veteran -- on Thursday after an investigation into an alleged sexual attack earlier this month.

Sgt. Raymond Richard Lumarque, 38, was charged with attempted murder, kidnapping, sexual battery, battery, burglary with assault and interception of electronic communication, police said.

The department's sexual crimes bureau launched an investigation after an incident was reported at the victim's home at 10 p.m. July 8.

A 36-year-old woman claimed Lumarque sexually assaulted her during a domestic dispute, investigators said.

A warrant for Lumarque's arrest was issued Thursday, and police took him into custody. He was booked into the Turner Guilford Knight jail about 9 p.m. and was being held without bail.

Lumarque was hired as a Miami-Dade police officer in September 1997, records show. He was promoted to sergeant in 2004.

Lumarque and three officers were recognized for outstanding service in May 2004.

His annual salary is about $86,000, but last year he made $110,000, according to county records.

In 2003, he contributed $100 to Carlos Alvarez's mayoral campaign when Alvarez was then Miami-Dade's police director.

Lumarque has been suspended without pay.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:05 pm

I had a post a few months back on officers working ot and etc to make extra money and many people disagreed that they should. I read this article today in the Miami Herald and a sgt on the force for 10yrs made 110k a year. Is this typical?
A topped out Sgt in my agency this year would make 86k...in 2009(which is what our current contract goes to) they would be at 95k. Add in mandatory overtime, court time, off-duty permits and that 110 is easily attainable.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

codlinjr

Post by codlinjr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:51 pm

happens here once in a while. a few years back we had a regular old road guy (not a Sgt) make about that much.

Sykotic 101
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Sykotic 101 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:20 am

Saint Lucie County starts their deputies at $35k a year. Port Saint Lucie Police Department starts the officers at $38k a year. I don't know how the raises work, but that sure is a long way from some of the things I've been hearing about other cities and counties paying their peacemakers in Florida.
Max.
glockpacker wrote:Take a few seconds to dump a mag through the Tommy gun. It's as good a wake up as Starbucks.

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:12 pm

BSO is starting guys around the 42k range. Sounds decent on paper till you try to buy a house and pay the bills. I'm barely scraping by and I don't have kids! #-o
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

MSGTTBAR

Post by MSGTTBAR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Starting with $42,000, once you take out taxes, ss, medicare, and state taxes, you are left with about $23,000 to live on. @ $750/mo, rent/mortgage adds up to $9.000, utilities probably around $3,000. Now you are down to ~ $11,000/year to buy groceries, work clothing, support a car, and entertain yourself. 42k don't go far, does it?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SERIOUS

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Sure doesn't. Mortgage isn't too bad by today's standards at $950 a month but the damned association fees are jumping from 125 to 193 a month!! I hate where I live but am not in a position to upgrade. Sucks.
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!