Boots

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Jeffrosdl

Boots

Post by Jeffrosdl » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:39 pm

I need some advice on boots for the academy. I'm looking for something comfortable that I can run in and also be able to shine and wear with class A uniform. Probably going to spend about 8 hours or more in them per day. I would like to be able to use these for duty when I become hired afterwards depending on durabilityof course. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well as maybe a list of some local stores where I can find some and try them on. The local Army/navy surplus store that carried boots closed down so I have no idea where else to go. I know Galls and some other online places have good selections but I would like to go somewhere local and try them on before I make a purchase. Thanks

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

i have a couple of suggestions.

Post by FLEMTP » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:56 am

try going to quartermaster. you can shop online or request a catalog. http://qmuniforms.com

They've always been great to deal with, and they have some nice boots that are inexpensive yet high quality. i recommend something with a side zipper, makes it alot easier to get them on and off, especially if you're in a hurry. as a matter of fact they have a pair of 8 inch sidezip boots in their catalog for 49.99, and pretty much any boot is easy to shine to a parade gloss so long as you know what you're doing. What i do is take a cotton ball, wet it a bit with some HOT water, and then get some parade gloss polish on the cotton ball, i spread a thin layer of polish, then i get a second cotton ball, wet it, and buff the polish until it shines. after about 3 coats of polish (let them dry before adding another layer) you get a nice parade gloss thats easy to maintain.

hope this helps!
Without guns, we'd be british!

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:59 am

Brigade Quartermasters also has a great selection of service/duty boots, as well as tons of other goodies:

http://www.actiongear.com
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

forcefed
Life Member
Life Member

Post by forcefed » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:16 am

If you need them right now, Sports Authority carries Magnum boots. I had to wear them in the academy, not by choice but they got comfortable after the first few runs. When you get out there on duty, the Oakley boots are the most comfortable but won't take a shine like the Magnums.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:07 am

Magnum or Bates have boots for LEO, most army-navy stores carry them call first
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:05 pm

I am going to agree with the oakleys being the most comfy....I am on my second pair. Downside with them is they dont last as long as some others and because of the way they are made with the rubber front tip you cannot really give them a spit shine. I wore magnums in the academy because we had too...they are not very comfy in my opinion. I also have a pair of danners....they are awesome. A little heavy but they are bulletproof and can be resoled. I have had the same pair for about 7 years.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:01 pm

I think I'm going to try and run down to a few shops in tampa this afternoon. I'm interested in some Bates defender durashocks with the zipper on the side. Hopefully I'll find them or something that will work well for me. Thanks for all the input.

Zeroed

Post by Zeroed » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:34 pm

I wear 5.11 Haste boots and they've been wonderful so far. You can shine them and they're very comfortable.

I bought mine from LA Police gear and the size runs the same as Bates, Oakley and Magnum....well at least it did for me.

PPGMD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PPGMD » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 pm

I hear that Converse are nearly as comfortable as the Oakleys and they appear that you can shine them.
Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream.

Jeffrosdl

Post by Jeffrosdl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Ended up going to Law enforcement supply in Tampa. They didn't have the Bates I was looking for but they had some oakleys, 5.11 and original swat boots. The guy there said the swats probably shine the best and he had a pair and liked them because they are comfortable. I didn't like how the 5.11's fit so i purchased the original swat 9" zipper sides and am going to try and give them a shot.