Clerical Positions In LEO?

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
Rugg07

Clerical Positions In LEO?

Post by Rugg07 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Hey all,
Count me as another student interested in persuing a career in law enforcement. Right now, I'm interested in working at a police department in a clerical capacity while I'm in school, and work my way up from there.

My question for any one who might have some insight is, would this be a wise plan/thing to do? And also, i'll of course be finding out myself, but are such positions usually available open? Thanks in advance for any info :smile

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Welcome to FSN first of all. Second at most sheriff's offices they have job listing posted you might want to look there they show requirements etc. Or you could do a google search and it should assist you. Good luck with career.

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

your best bet...

Post by FLEMTP » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:14 pm

your best bet for a position like that is to get on as a 911 dispatcher. You get to know the officers, and the people in the dept, and get a good feel for how it all works. Plus, many times, if you're good at what you do, and prove yourself, many police depts will sponsor you to the police academy. I know many officers that got their start as a 911 dispatcher.
Without guns, we'd be british!

Re: your best bet...

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:52 am

FLEMTP wrote:your best bet for a position like that is to get on as a 911 dispatcher.....................I know many officers that got their start as a 911 dispatcher.
This is your best bet. You get to know the ins and outs of police work and you are several steps ahead of your competition. As a matter of fact, many dispatchers usually know the LEO side of the job knowledge wise (not practical) better than most LEO's. Dispatching has it's advantages, if you can do it. ](*,)

There is always a need for good dispatchers, it is a high stress position and has alot of turnover, It isn't for everyone though.

Furthermore, if you are going to school, the agencies will usually pay for college.

Rugg07

Post by Rugg07 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Thanks so much for the welcome and advice, guys. My only concern with a dispatcher position is the responsibility and stress involved, while simultaneously handling school. I wouldn't want to let anyone down or slip in such a position, as lives could be at stake and dependent on my abilities and competency.

I would like to work in the offices though, for the reasons that FLEMTP mentioned (getting to know the department, having the department getting to know me) while I get through the school business.

Also from what i've read on these boards, it looks like BSO might not be an option right now, but I do plan on checking them out as well anyway. Thanks again everyone :smile