A question about LEO employment

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
bigpapi83

A question about LEO employment

Post by bigpapi83 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm gonna be honest I have been struggling with asking this question for a few weeks. About two months I got pulled over heading home from a bar, failed a sobriety test and was arrested for DUI.

I'm a student at USF in Criminology, 23 and about to graduate in the Fall (with honors, meaning a 3.5 gpa).

Following the arrest I lost my oppurtunity for an internship with the U.S. Marshals office in Tampa and was left picking up whatever classes I could to finish out my degree.

We are taking the issue to court and will see what happens, but in the end a DUI arrest is what it is, a crappy decision on my part, and a life altering one at that. I have e-mailed several LE Agencies over the past few months and not received too many great responses, with most telling me I need to be 3 years, 5 years or 10 years removed from a conviction before applying.

I'm not looking for sympathy or criticism, I know that what I did was my decision and I alone have to pay the consequences, whatever they may end up being. I am wondering if there are any LE Agencies who may over look the DUI and still offer me a job (the original goal was federal, but I think we'll agree that has gone out the window for a while). I will travel anywhere at this point, and have enough money saved away that I can afford to move in or out of Florida for work. I am also considering military for a few years until enough time has passed to start applying to some agencies that told me 3 years separation was enough.

Thanks in advance for reading my mini life story and for the responses.
Toby Keith: "They won't break me, nooooooo, I'll switch from boots to bald headed eagles, I'll shove a bald headed eagle up your ass."

Sendero Shooter

?

Post by Sendero Shooter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:45 pm

secret service uniform division - google for more info

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:07 pm

Why not join the military while you ride it out?
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

bigpapi83

Post by bigpapi83 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:41 pm

rob_s wrote:Why not join the military while you ride it out?
I'm not ruling it out, in fact I wanted to do this coming out of high school, but was sort of steered toward going to college while I had it paid for.

I'm just trying to gauge other options before I commit to it, while also trying to look into some things that may interest me in the military.
Toby Keith: "They won't break me, nooooooo, I'll switch from boots to bald headed eagles, I'll shove a bald headed eagle up your ass."

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:53 am

Like you already found out, most agencys will require a few years of having no problems before hiring you.I would continue checking with individual departments as they all are a little different. Going into the military for a few years is actually a pretty good idea if you still want to pursue a career in law enforcement.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

freehunter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by freehunter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:36 pm

Get a job in private industry make some money and if you wish then try being a police officer again. At 23 you have more going for you then you think. :smile

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:04 am

If you go into "private industry" and start making real money you'll never go back to LE. #-o

One way to find out what military MOS you might want is to talk to various departments about what they think is valuable. I know that for awhile there some agencies were shying away from former .mil applicants because the mission objectives of the two jobs are very different (kill vs. arrest). I would think that a job as a JAG investigator, or similar, would go a long way. You might also find yourself able to get a federal LE job when you get out. They both pay more and have better benefits than virtually all local agencies.

If you do go into the military, try to find a branch that will guarantee you OCS. With a degree it shouldn't bee too difficult. Most prospective employers, LE or otherwise, will find the military leadership training to be more valuable than any dooor-kicker skills. Don't let the testosterone lead you into the USMC over, say, the Air Force if the AF is the one that best fits your long-term goals.

Don't think of military service as a waste of 4+ years. Think of it as a stepping stone on your carreer path. Who knows, you may be happy after those 4 years and wind up staying for 20.
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

bigpapi83

Post by bigpapi83 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:14 pm

To be entirely honest, I was ready to go enlist after highschool (9/11 was the big event of my senior year) and got talked down from going b/c school was paid for. I tried to drop out a few years ago and do it again, but I wasn't in great shape, and was halfway through college and got talked down again.

We have a few family friends that did Special Ops stuff and of course as a kid and young adult some of the stories nearly knocked me off my chair and it sounded fun. It is, as of this moment, my number one option (the military, not necessarily Spec Ops...though I might not mind if I can shed another 20 or 25 pounds in the next 6 months and get up to running around 9 or 10 miles.....)

parolebear

Post by parolebear » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:27 pm

OCS!!!!!!!! Getting out one of the dumbest things of my life (at least top three).
So Many Guns, So Little Money

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:10 am

Alot of good advice here.

The biggest problem with an agency hiring you on, is liability.

The second is Credibility. Lawyers will chew you up on the stand after you make any arrest for just about anything, and question your standards, and almost certainly bring up the DUI arrest every time to dis-credit you..

It's good that you are taking responsibility for your actions, but you need to find a good lawyer and sympathetic judge that may lessen the charge or divert it in some way due to your pursuing a career in Law Enforcement, as evident by your educaton. Unlikely, but try....

otaku

Post by otaku » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:06 pm

I know it doesn't exactly address your question, but it seems enough time has passed and you've gotten enough great responses, so here goes...

Personally I would never submit to a field sobriety test. I won't drive a car if I've had more than 2 drinks, and even if I've had 0 drinks I will not submit to a field sobriety test.

Why?

I know I'd fail, even if I were stone cold sober.

Not the best way to measure somebody's sobriety, IMO.

Again, sorry to veer off topic. Thanks.
--
Josh Hope
"There is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." -- Bowers v. DeVito, 1982

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 pm

otaku wrote:
Personally I would never submit to a field sobriety test.
Why?

I know I'd fail, even if I were stone cold sober.

Not the best way to measure somebody's sobriety, IMO.

true, you need to ask for other available tests but simply refusing the test will loose you license for 1 year
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

otaku

Post by otaku » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:55 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:.

true, you need to ask for other available tests but simply refusing the test will loose you license for 1 year
can i insist on a Breathlyzer or other, slightly more scientific test?

and, from what I understand, you *could* lose your license for a year. You have a hearing from some board who makes the final decision. yes? It's not necessarily automatic. At least, that's what the judge stressed in the DUI case I jurored on...
--
Josh Hope
"There is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." -- Bowers v. DeVito, 1982

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:13 pm

I am not an atty and I did not sleep at a holoday inn last night, but that what it says on the bottom of my drivers license and in the CDL handbook
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

JOHNinORLANDO

Post by JOHNinORLANDO » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:34 pm

The NAVY has a program called Master at Arms which forms the same function as traditional policeman. The experience is extremely valuable for someone pursuing a career in law enforcement.

Your 4 years...not wasted at all. If you do one enlistment and get out, the time you served in the service (any branch) will transfer to your retirement time if you get a federal job. Also your status as a veteran will increase your chances of getting a federal job and you will be further away from the chopping block when it comes time for lay-offs.

If you want more information on the NAVY then PM me.
"A witty saying proves nothing."

-JOHN

Jim
Life Member
Life Member

LEO Employment

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm

Talk to your Army Recruiter about the C I D Criminal Intelligence Divison.
I don't know if you have to become an M P first. =mp Tell him all the leo education that you have and see what he offers. You don't have to sign anything until your offered what you want. They also have some great careers in the Military Prison System check them out also. I had temp. duty in the prison system in Germany and it was good. But if you do sign up be very careful what you sign.

Sir, are you sure I signed up for this, this mud is so deep. )am

Jim
Life Member
Life Member

LEO Employment

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:24 pm

Talk to your Army Recruiter about the C I D Criminal Intelligence Divison.
I don't know if you have to become an M P first. =mp Tell him all the leo education that you have and see what he offers. You don't have to sign anything until your offered what you want. They also have some great careers in the Military Prison System check them out also. I had temp. duty in the prison system in Germany and it was good. But if you do sign up be very careful what you sign.

Sir, are you sure I signed up for this, this mud is so deep. )am