Interested in Becoming LEO

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
vinnies

Interested in Becoming LEO

Post by vinnies » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Does anyone have advice? I'm thinking about majoring in criminal justice and minor in Information Technology , or vice versa. I really want to be involved in law enforcement in some form. I have a clean record, and college is paid for, but i dont know where to go from here. Some research says ANY degree is good , soo should i pursue IT and minor in criminal justice, and what else can i do to better qualify myself. Thanks

FLEMTP
Life Member
Life Member

best advice i can give

Post by FLEMTP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:33 pm

get a degree in something thats not criminal justice. Psychology, political science, information technology, etc. Police candidates with a CJ degree are a dime a dozen, and having a degree in something else might get you some job opportunities within the police dept, or a leg up on other candidates. just my 2 cents
Without guns, we'd be british!

vinnies

Post by vinnies » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:42 pm

Thats why i was considering Information Technology and a minor in CJ .. just wanted to hear what anyone had to say, thanks

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Well, IT is the biggest thing going, isn't it? It's sort of like majoring in accounting and economics if you want to get in the business world.

But with IT you can go anywhere.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

forcefed
Life Member
Life Member

Post by forcefed » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:34 am

+1 to what has been said.

Do not get your degree in CJ. You'll learn that stuff in the academy and in-service training. Look towards finance or accounting if you ever want to be a detective or go federal. Plus you have something to fall back on if LE isn't your thing.

coolcloo1019

Post by coolcloo1019 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:28 pm

forcefed wrote:+1 to what has been said.

Do not get your degree in CJ. You'll learn that stuff in the academy and in-service training. Look towards finance or accounting if you ever want to be a detective or go federal. Plus you have something to fall back on if LE isn't your thing.
Just a question but what does finance and accounting have to do with being a detective?

forcefed
Life Member
Life Member

Post by forcefed » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Just a question but what does finance and accounting have to do with being a detective?
Helps to know what's going on when investigating white-collar crime.

mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mjmensale » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:09 pm

coolcloo1019 wrote:Just a question but what does finance and accounting have to do with being a detective?
Several federal agencies (FBI for sure) used to require a Business degree as one approach to getting in. Don't know if that's still the case.

Moe
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

coolcloo1019

Post by coolcloo1019 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Oh, lol, see how much I know? I really didn't even think of it that way.

Sendero Shooter

Learn this

Post by Sendero Shooter » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:48 pm

Keep at the IT angle, everything today is computer chips. Computer forensics is hot now. Second thing learn a second Language, Spanish, German, Arabic, Swahili, it doesn’t matter but have one. Even a little bit helps. Third - volunteer at some agency or be an explorer, but you sound a little older for that one. Get in on the ground floor and work hard. You could even pay for you own LEO certification and get hired by some department right away. You could Get hired and have the agency pay for your certification but you have to work off debt like two years or you have to pay back a prorated share.

I started out as local police officer, then state and now I work for one of the federal alphabets. One thing to remember if you or your wife, girlfriend or Mother does not want to wander off from the home turf, you had better stay at the S/O or PD.
Just my 2 cents – Your Results May Vary – Good Luck

parolebear

Post by parolebear » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:32 pm

You have many very wise people speaking ahead of me. After 30 years in LE at many levels and jobs, get a degree in something other than CJ. My reason to tell you this to have something to fall back on if LE is not for you. LE career has been good to me but it is not for everyone and every family.

Remember there are many LE type job other than direct law enforcement. I started on the street as a cop so moves were up some back but I am about 4 years from state retirement (GA) as a parole officer so don't think you are stuck if something does not pan out the way you want. IF YOU LOVE YOUR JOB YOU NEVER HAVE TO GO TO WORK!!
So Many Guns, So Little Money